Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"You Drive a WHAAT!?"

s'noJob

Corvette
2004 Arctic White Coupe
How have friends, relatives, neighbors, and co-workers reacted when they've seen your 'Vette?

s'noJob

My friends, neighbors, relatives, etc. have seen me driving Corvettes for many years. What they do say is "What??? You've got a new one?!!" because I've been known to turn one around in no time! :L Then, too, quite often I bring one of Corvette Mike's Corvettes home for the weekend to take to a show somewhere. That really blows their minds! There's no question they think I'm a bit crazy sometimes. :chuckle

Elaine

Hi All,
I bought my Vette "late in life" - had to wait till the kiddies were out of college - or at least so I thought - how many wasted years driving "practical" ;ricecars. Lately, I had been threatening to buy a Vette and everyone was very polite but never thought I'd do it, however, teenage obsessions can be a "b-tch" ;) and they never really go away. So, I finally indulged myself and bought an '04 CE coupe - what a blast!:Twist I did get the "you're driving a what" more than a few times but it's coming up on a year and I've driven it all but four days. The reactions now are more like wistful stares and jealous looks. :vTony C.

Most people pretty much know what it is but many think that it's new!
Pretty much the same for me, well it was new to me and first I had owned. Everyone loves it especially the daughters friends, they think it is really cool that her dad drives a vette.:cool

Most of them say: "Why do you need 3 cars?" (my answer being: they are my "wife" and "two kids") :boogie

Some of them say: "Did you trade in the red car?" (the red car being my '99 Saturn coupe, which is treated just as well as my C5, and the answer is no)

Others say: "I'd hate to pay your insurance bill" (it's not that bad)

But, I know what they are really thinking: "I wish I had one of those!" (suckers)

After seeing my Corvette I'm usually asked "Do you polish it ALL the time?"
Ans: "Yes I do". :D

I've been in corvettes since 1960 and all my friends expect me to be driving one to work or to see me in one on other occassions, except during the winter months when the corvettes hibernate from Nov thru March. People that I know want to ride in or drive them. Sometimes I oblige.
Barrett

Most of my co-workers thought I must have got a raise.

They pretty much all freaked out.

But they didn't give a second glance/thought to the woman who came to work in a brand new $50K Suburban!

Most of my co-workers thought I must have got a raise.

They pretty much all freaked out.

But they didn't give a second glance/thought to the woman who came to work in a brand new $50K Suburban!

Where have I seen you before! Ha ha! Welcome to CAC, WV!

s'noJob

I got my first Vette when I was 20. It was a nice 86, iron head with a cam and loud exhaust. Most of my co-workers made some comment about being too young to need "personal enhancment". But now I've converted a couple of guys I work with and it's expected that I show up in it every day. Just a side note as to how many people still notice the car, I drove my wife's Jetta to work a couple of weeks ago and was asked 4 or 5 times where the Vette was.

Brett

Corvette ownership will be the bookends to my life. My prior Vettes was in my younger and single days. Chevettes :ugh ... replaced the Corvettes during my marriage. Now 35+ years later I am single again, actually widowed but I don't like that word, and driving a Vette again. :) Some of my old friends knew I would get another one and asked why it took so long. If I am in my truck, they usually ask "Where is the Vette". I take the Vette for joy rides on nice Sunny days. :cool

:w

I have not been driving the Vette this winter but I have been asked several times when I was going to drive it again. Soon, very soon. (I hope:rotfl) This winter has been too long. The only comment that I got from members of my family was "well you finally got your Vette". As far as other comments, my wife summed those up by using the letters on my license plate PAJ, "please acknowledge jealousy". I think that pretty much sums up what other are trying to do.:L

I am really surprised by most people's ignorance of Corvettes. If you parked a good example of a C4, a C5 and a C6 next to each other most people couldn't guess which is the latest model. Further, to most non-Vette people, it doesn't really matter what model it is - each Corvette is a real Corvette.

The big change was between 1982 and 1984 and most people know a C3 is now an antique, but an 1984 to them could be a 2008.

The reaction I like best is the person who is so envious that they make no comment; they try not to show their envy, but they always do.

Occassionally, I will get a comment from some obnoxious young male that will say something like "I'm going to get another Mustang 'cause I want a really fast car; before I moved here I had a Saleen that would go from 0 to 60 in one second and topped out at 350 miles per hour." I sometimes look at a forum that is eaten up with these guys; I usually surmise that the fastest car they have ever driven is their father's 6 cylinder Dodge Intrepid.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom