Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

YOU GOT TO LOVE GM

B

Black Bart

Today I removed the pulley from the AC compressor and the snap ring dropped down in the engine bay somewhere. I spend a good hour trying to find it no luck so I called my friendly local Chevy stealer-ship and yes indeed he had the snap ring but only way to buy it was in a kit with oil seal $28.62 I told him I would pass on that. In the morning going to town see if I can find a snap ring. Hell for 28 bucks I can turn one out on my lathe.
You gotta love the way the General does business

They didn't even expect you to buy the compressor ??;LOL

Glenn
:w

Have you tried the hardware store?
The true value store I go to has a variety of
snap rings, maybe you will get lucky and they
will have the right size.
Len

Have you tried the hardware store?
The true value store I go to has a variety of
snap rings, maybe you will get lucky and they
will have the right size.
Len
I plan on going to town in the morning we have a true value that should have one. Nothing special a 1 inch ring will work but it needs to be 70 thousands thick that is a little thiner than a normal snap ring

You can mike a hardware store snap ring and rub it down on a belt sander. I've done it on airplanes and they've gone thousands of hours w/o failing.

I thought you were going to say that while searching for the one you dropped you found another that the last guy had dropped and now you have a spare!
I agree with Airbus, a little rubbing on a sheet of 400 grit on a flat surface should do the trick.

I have a nice belt sander so yes I can make it fit.
With all the equipment that I have added to my car you could pour 5 gallon of water on the engine and I don't think any of it would reach the ground. When you drop somethig it is gone.
$28.62 for a snap ring Dam I don't know how they can build them so good and sell them so cheap. :L

I'm glad you were able to find one at the hardware store.
I hate the thought of going to the dealer, you know that
you will get ripped off one way or another.

Len

Hey ya know guys, I buy parts for a living for all types of equipment. Seems like all the suppliers are doing this. I used to be able to buy a part for x amount of dollars....now....you have to buy the whole assembly to get the part that you need....might I add, thousands $ more! Machine work isn't any cheaper...plus the down time factor....they got ya and they know it....I'm goin in the parts business! :D

Hey ya know guys, I buy parts for a living for all types of equipment. Seems like all the suppliers are doing this. I used to be able to buy a part for x amount of dollars....now....you have to buy the whole assembly to get the part that you need....might I add, thousands $ more! Machine work isn't any cheaper...plus the down time factor....they got ya and they know it....I'm goin in the parts business! :D

Ahhhh.....another dreaded acronym....NHA - next higher assembly.
You can't buy the little part for cheap, you gotta buy the bigger, more expensive part it's attached to!

I went to a True Value this morning and got a 1" snapring and put it on and it fits perfectly. cost 65 cents My local Chevy Stealershp still has his $ 28.62 one if any of you need one. :D

I went to a True Value this morning and got a 1" snapring and put it on and it fits perfectly. cost 65 cents My local Chevy Stealershp still has his $ 28.62 one if any of you need one. :D

You WIN !! :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom