Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Your first car

I cant believe I found a pic of my first car!!! A 1976 Mercury Cougar. Man, did I think I was cool with my Cragars, and sunroof,LOLOL:boogie:rotfl;LOLUnfortunatly,I Still cant figure out how to post pics full size yet. I Read the Link a Million times and it just aint happening for me. Anyway, here it is...

My first car was a 1967 Ford LTD Fastback, White, Black Interior and of course a Black Vinyl Roof. 390 cu in big block and 3 spd auto. The first mod was Cherry Bomb Mufflers. A year and 9 months later I got my first Corvette. A 1974 White with Saddle leather interior L48 4spd Coupe. :thumb
Had one ever since.

My first car was a brand new 1966 SS396 Malibu - metallic blue with a black interior. It was a great looking car, but a POS (Piece of S###) mechanically. It had a 24,000 warranty. I recall telling my father one day that the car had 23,980 miles on the odometer and the transmission was slipping. He followed me to the dealerhip with his pickup and ended up pushing me the last mile into the dealership with an old tire tied on to his front bumper. The service writer asked me what was wrong and I told him the transmission was slipping and it still had 5 miles on the warranty; he said let me drive it and see. He cranked it up put it in gear and it didn't move, so he asked me how I got there and I just pointed to my fatther's pickup.

As soon as it came out of the shop, I traded that POS in on a new 1968 GTO that was a legitimate superstar car. The Pontiac HO 400 made the Chevy 396 feel like a 4 cylinder; it was superstrong, but it needed new plugs, points and condenser and timing set perfectly every 1,000 miles or it ran almost as weak as the 396 Chevy. I burned off a set of tires about every 8,000 miles. I had the heads ported, polished and matched; put in a mechanical distributor advance, and did the old trick of presettng the rear butterflies on the quadrajet. You could punch the gas at 70 miles per hour on the expressway and break the tires loose. I ran a 12.9 at 109 at the local drag races. In all of Memphis, Tennessee there were only two street cars faster - a '66 327/375 Nova that had been stripped to just a drivers seat and had 10" slicks, and a Plymouth GTX with a 440/375 (six pack) that also had 10" street slicks. All of the other supposed muscle cars just didn't go - hemis were a joke, they needed a mile to wind out.

I kept the GTO until I finished college, got married and started a family. I needed something that was more of a family car, so I bought a 455 Olds. I got a great job after college, but it involved a lot of travel. About 1:00 AM on a Saturday night (Sunday morning) I was driving home on a two lane highway after a late night's work in a town about 100 miles from home. As there was no one else on the road, I opened the Olds up to get home sooner. About 30 miles from the state line I saw a pair of headlights way behind me and I caught a glimpse of them on and off for the next 28 miles or so. As I approached the state line, I thought that if there was a cop out at that hour, that's where he would be, so I backed off the Olds to let the car behind me catch up and go through first. About a mile from the state line the headlights came behind me and he turned on his blue lights (red then?). My only thought was that I was going to jail. He came up to me and asked for my license. He said "You're kind of in a hurry tonight?" and I said yes, I had been out of town all week and wanted to get home to my family. He then said "I want to thank you for slowing down; my new Ford interceptor here runs good but it was wide open, getting hot and starting to smoke, and I was afraid I was going to get fired for blowing it up". He was very sincere in his thanks.

"I got you on my radar at 138 mph back about 35 miles, and I was running over 150 and couldn't keep up - that's one fast Oldsmobile you got there."

He gave me a speeding ticket for 138 mph and told me I had to be in court on Monday morning. That Monday morning I called the telephone number on the ticket and told someone that I couldn't make it to court as I had to go out of town again; they told me to send a check for $10 cash to them at such and such address and that would take care of it. And it did - absolutely true story.

P. S. the '73 Olds 455 had a 2.73 rear end.

The first car I actually got to drive was a hand me down 1964 Buick LeSabre. It was my mothers car and given to me when I got my license. It actually had the 265 hypo engine in it and was a 4 door coupe - it had no pillars. Moved pretty good for a big heavy car with a 2-barrel carb and had DUAL speaker AM. One in the front and one in the rear!

The first car I actually bought, after my first year of college, was a 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible with a 429 V-8 in it. It passed everything on the road but a gas station! It was a HUGE car for a two door. Must have weighed 5,000 lbs. I think the doors must have been 4 feet long. I put a headphone jack into the I/P where there was a cover plate for an option I didn't get, so it almost looked factory installed. I thought I looked SO cool driving around with the top down with my open air Koss headphones on. Ah, the old days when we were so naive. Made two trips with 6 people in the car to Florida for spring break, it was that big.

Mine was a beat up 1964 Mercury Comet. Barf green. My grandfather owned a shop and he gave me cars all the time but that was my first one. I was in Boston then and it had a lot of body rot.

So he let me use his garage on the weekends and I restored it.

Lot’s of laughs.

I wrote an entire short story around it.

Man, that engine compartment was so huge with that straight six you could sleep in it. :boogie

Hi There;
My first car was bought by me in 1963. It was a 2dr. hard top 1960 impala.It was red with a white top. No powered anything. Steering was like driving a mack truck but I loved driving that car. The engine was a 348ci with a 3 spd. $1695.I had the car for 7 years traded it in 1970 on a 65 ss cheville 2dr.ht.
robs817_c5

I can't believe the difference in cars over all of these years! Here goes: My first car was a 1960 Reanult 4CV, the model with the suicide doors. It had a 4 cylinder engine with all of 26 hp. Believe me, 60 mph downhill was about the max and one had to shift into first gear to climb a hill by my home. I had the car until I graduated high school. The car was so light, my "buddies" placed it on the school sidewalk one day just to get the principals reaction. That is a story for another day.

A 1961 Ford Falcon four door that I paid $50 (1974) and had to tow home.

1963 Corvair Monza coupe w/ 4-speed (in 1965). Courted my wife of 42 years in it, taught her to drive a manual transmission in it (and she married me anyway), and we both autocrossed it until the engine let go.

Corvairs ..

Hey Mike 1320! :W

63 Corvair ... :D

My baby then in about 65 for my high school wheels was a sweet Corvair.

1963 Monza Spyder, Bill Thomas turbo kit with two 2bbl carbs, real wire wheels (Kelsey-Hayes stock), screen guards for the Lucas replacement headlights (Flamethrowers on the high beam side).

Black, red interior with a white top. My girl and I were .... anyway those were golden years ... ruined by a very low draft number (024) ... and she left me, moved without an address.

Worse my dad sold all my stuff .... "in case I didn't come back" ... :confused

Gawd, I miss that car. ;squint:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom