Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Your first car

The answer depends on whether 'your first car' is the one daddy handed you the keys to or the one you actually spend your own money to buy.

In the first case, it was a 1950 Chevy with the L6 and 3 on the tree. The really interesting thing here is that it wasn't supposed to be in the US. It was a 'export' Chevy with a metric dash - the speedo shows 150 KPH. I wowed my friends by hitting 120 in the car. The other wow was that the car was older than me.

The second case is a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T 440 Magnum auto. Spend part of my ROTC scholarship money to buy this car when I was in college.

1962 Chey Impala 2dr. hardtop. 283 / 4bl. carb w/ dual exhaust. Why did we get ride of these cars?

Judge Judy Scenario STUPID STUPID STUPID

A $50. car wasn't much to start with. If we had money we have bought a $100. one.
Lack of future sighting. Storage. MONEY.
Who wanted a 55 56 he ""4 dr"" then.
Took quite a few years for the 58 Impala to get a second look. I liked them from new.

The second case is a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T 440 Magnum auto. Spend part of my ROTC scholarship money to buy this car when I was in college

After my six banger Falcon that was my second car also. I was overseas with the Marines and got an extra $50.00 a month for getting shot at. That money and my base pay almost paid in full a brand new green 1969 Charger R/T. It was loaded and cost $4200 out the door. 440 Magnum and all. My first race I got beat by a 1969 Z28 with the 302. It nearly killed me. We raced for our belts because I had no money and my pants were falling down for a few days.:)

1962 Chey Impala 2dr. hardtop. 283 / 4bl. carb w/ dual exhaust. Why did we get ride of these cars?

You know, I ask myself that all the time. I loved that Trans Am and had intended to keep it forever! But then I remembered...

After high school and the folly I called my freshman year in college, I moved out and into my own apartment. It was amazing how much getting 10 mpg and insurance really costs when you are paying real bills and you are a struggling musician with a not so high paying day job! :D In high school it was easy as that's all I had to pay for!

After my six banger Falcon that was my second car also. I was overseas with the Marines and got an extra $50.00 a month for getting shot at. That money and my base pay almost paid in full a brand new green 1969 Charger R/T. It was loaded and cost $4200 out the door. 440 Magnum and all. My first race I got beat by a 1969 Z28 with the 302. It nearly killed me. We raced for our belts because I had no money and my pants were falling down for a few days.:)

The Z28's were pretty quick in the right hands and with the right gears. My R/T came with 3.23 gears and was a bit slow off the line but had a hell of a top end. I changed them out to 3.91 gears and that made a lot of difference.

Plain Jane

Black 1963 2-door Chevy Biscayne 409/400.
Remo:cool

1961 Pontiac Ventura, 10 years old, 389 2BBL, my dad bought it for me for $25, sent it to our service station and had them do brakes, tune up and inspect it. I had the car painted at Earl Scheib for $29.95, seat covers on the interior. Kept it for 6 mos, sold it for $225 and replaced it with a '68 SS/RS 396 corvette bronze Camaro.:)

1965 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. Awesome car. She had a 429 Big Block, 3 speed auto, everything power, about 4 cows worth of leather, and a 30 gallon gas tank :D You could step on it and watch the gas gauge go down :chuckle. She was metallic Gold with black interior. I got it in 1995 and it was mint. One owner, when i got it had about 70,000 miles and one repaint. I have great memories of that car! Sold it to a friend's dad in 1998 and he still has it today, although its Red now...:mad

1961 Studebaker Lark VI

IMO, one of the ugliest (if not the ugliest) cars ever made.
Mine was a flat black primer, no hubcaps, green bench cloth seats, am radio.
It had started life as a six cylinder with three on the tree (hence the VI) but had a caddy v8 under the hood with an automatic tranny.
Evidence from the gear shift (stick) was still on the steering column and the clutch was dead on the floor board.
It was ugly and plain but I enjoyed it immensely and it never let me down.
She moved out pretty well and the back seat was adequate. :D

Good thread. Thanks for posting!

:D Great thread!!

My first was a 1947 Ford 2-door sedan, 230(?) c.i., flathead V8, 3 on the tree. Paid $35 to a friend's dad for it. Cavernous inside! 6 guys could walk around inside! ;LOLThe 1st/Reverse shifting fork was broken so I had to take off in 2nd and always take a couple of buddies along to push me back out of places I shouldn't have gone in the first place! :boogie

Next was a sweet '55 Chevy 2-door post. The one I should have kept! ;shrug

Stew :w

My very first vehicle was a 1966 Chevy C-10 that was handed down when I was in my early teens. It was a LWB truck with a 250 straight six and a 3 on the tree. My dad ended up getting rid of it after I joined the Navy because it was just sitting in the yard for a couple of years with several other vehicles at the time.

The first vehicle I bought on my own was a 1987 Chevy C-10 SWB with a 350TBI/350TH, not the greatest looking truck in the world but it move pretty good.

1953 Ford

Flat head coupe- 3-speed manual- Dark Green- great back seat/ bigger than a living room couch-

Bought when I was 14 for $50.00-

Didn't get a Corvette until I was 21-

The answer depends on whether 'your first car' is the one daddy handed you the keys to or the one you actually spend your own money to buy.

In the first case, it was a 1950 Chevy with the L6 and 3 on the tree. The really interesting thing here is that it wasn't supposed to be in the US. It was a 'export' Chevy with a metric dash - the speedo shows 150 KPH. I wowed my friends by hitting 120 in the car. The other wow was that the car was older than me.

The second case is a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T 440 Magnum auto. Spend part of my ROTC scholarship money to buy this car when I was in college.

Dad bought the first 3- so under your rules my first car was a 1959 Corvette- that sounds so much nicer-

:D Great thread!!

My first was a 1947 Ford 2-door sedan, 230(?) c.i., flathead V8, 3 on the tree. Paid $35 to a friend's dad for it. Cavernous inside! 6 guys could walk around inside! ;LOLThe 1st/Reverse shifting fork was broken so I had to take off in 2nd and always take a couple of buddies along to push me back out of places I shouldn't have gone in the first place! :boogie

Next was a sweet '55 Chevy 2-door post. The one I should have kept! ;shrug

Stew :w

Stew, I think those flatheads were 239 ci. Kewl cars! :thumb

Judge Judy Scenario STUPID STUPID STUPID

A $50. car wasn't much to start with. If we had money we have bought a $100. one.
Lack of future sighting. Storage. MONEY.
Who wanted a 55 56 he ""4 dr"" then.
Took quite a few years for the 58 Impala to get a second look. I liked them from new.
My father had a white 58 Chev Impala with a teal like interior, 283 2b, beautiful car, bought it off the showroom floor. I agree with Bob on the "second look", I know their probably around but I seldom see one at the local car shows.

We've got a guy here in town who has/had 8 or 10 58's at one time or another. Right now he's working on a 58 that he is shortening. You know those 55, 56, 57 4 doors cars that they cut the back door out of and shorten them? Well he's doing it with a 58 Impala Convertible. Not as easy as those 4 door cars. I haven't seen it, but he tells me the body work is just about done. My older brother had a 58 Biscayne 2 door post with the 283/2bbl 3 speed (with floor shifter conversion). I always thought that was a cool car. BTW to keep this on track the 58 was my brothers first car.....

1978 f-150 with a 351M/400, 2 barrel carb, and c6 transmission. It had a tendency (as others did) to slip out of park and into gear. ouch!
I experienced that Ford slip into reverse thing, I was changing A/F on a 65 Falcon wagon way back when , I was adding water, it was idleing, I turned to the work bench turned back and the car was out the door of a garage I worked at, it was my car, I caught it just before it rolled out into the street, I was younger then:beerIt happened again, damaged drivers door and I got rid of it..........Wasn't there a Law Suit over that problem?????The slightest roughness/miss would shake the shifter right into reverse...It was scary:eek:hnoes

Don't know about the law suites but we still change the collars to this day. The pot metal shift collar and detent spring get worn and don't hold the lever up & tight so it vibrates and falls down. Did two last yerar, a 66 Falcon and a 76 Ranchero. Late model Jeep Gran Cherokes (sp?) have the same problem so don't stand behind them either. A friend's wife was run over by her's while unloading groceries.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom