Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Z06 Dreaming

1stiff84

Hi All,

I am contemplating trading for an '04 Z06 and needed some help. I know I have come to the right place. I am happy with my '84, which holds some sentimental value, is paid for, runs great, and more than serves its purpose, but have heard nothing but raves about the Z for years now.

For those that have had less trouble than I making this decision, does this car hold up to all of the praise it has received?

For those that bought '04's, is there a reason why you did not wait for the C6's?

Thanks for helping the obviously troubled.

1 :w

Go for it. You know the first model year of a new gen Corvette is going to come with growing pains. I had a choice of getting an '05 but decided to go with the CE '04 Z06 and I never once regreted it. I knew that the '05's were going to have all the goodies like On Star, Nav. Systems, Satilte Radio etc... I just saw it as extra weight. This is my first Corvette so I can't tell you what the differences are from you C4. All I can tell you is that it runs like nothing I've ever driven. My closest expeiriance would probably be the Richard Petty Driving Expeiriance.:D
It's almost like having super powers.:cool

You can get a screaming deal on the '04s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took a tour of the bowling green assembly plant about a week ago, and I got to see about 4 or 5 C6's very close up and I do have to say that at first I was a little apprehensive about the new style, but after getting a close look at the C6 and getting to hear the new LS2, Which now has 400 c.i., I have changed my mind. If you have the means to own o work of art like the C6 than more power to you, and enjoy the ride. Just my 2 cents worth.

Tom

p.s. I got to see a brand new C6 roll off the assembly line and into the dyno booth and do a full throttle run up to 75 mph. All I have to say is, there is no replacement for displacement.

Thanks

Z06nut, BV, and Tom,

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate your insights.

You are right, BV, the current deals are tempting.

:w

Thanks, BV

Thanks for the link. Who ever thought an opportunity like this would ever come up?

I also just read Rob's thread from a while back, describing his ride from a dealer as his ZR-1 was being serviced. Coming from a ZR-1 owner, it is strong testimony.

Thanks again, BV.

:beer

Anything to help out a fellow corvette driver AND a potential Z06 owner!

Let us know what happens! But, yes, you can get an AMAZING deal. Gosh, $9,500 off!!!!! That is definitely worth it to drive off the lot in a Z06 for $44,000!!!!! Maybe less.....Who knows. I have seen several guys getting deals from this guy in other forums, and they have been satisfied. Good luck. Give them a call and see what they say. I am curious to know what they will do for you.

PS. I do not work for this guy, just trying to help you out.

1stiff84 said:
Thanks for the link. Who ever thought an opportunity like this would ever come up?

I also just read Rob's thread from a while back, describing his ride from a dealer as his ZR-1 was being serviced. Coming from a ZR-1 owner, it is strong testimony.

Thanks again, BV.

:beer

Depends

It really comes down between if you like the hidden headlights (which have always been a big thing to me since im in my 5th Corvette) 2nd Z06 and i can say the Z06 has been the finest Vette ever. Even the jump from 02 to 04 i can feel the difference in improvements just in two years.

I myself dont care much at this time for the new C6 in looks, but all the changes over the years in Corvette have taken me a year or so to grow on me. The new one is shorter, i dont care too much for the rear end, the Euro look on the headlights and the interior is not as nice as i thought it would be. But as i said once i go sit in one, drive one i could change my mind in time.

I would never EVER buy the first year of a Big change over in any car, i like the second or third year of production to consider buying. Let them work the bugs out, make some changes to improve the car and then read all the reports on the new style.

Its just my opinions of the C5, right now its the best but im sure in a few years the C6 will be the best. The last year of Z06 as we know it will be worth more in the distant future and you cant beat the deals out there as Mr. Blackvette mentioned. The new C6 will cost you most likely over sticker, i seen in 1984 Chevrolet dealers getting up to 8 grand over sticker, i know where i bought my car they spoke of 5 grand over sticker for 2005.

Good luck in your purchase and check out Monica in Atlanta on Vettes.

Peace Out.. T. A.

The new LS-2 is a 6.0L, which translates to ~360cid. It does have 400hp, though.

The Z06 is every bit as good as everyone claims. I bought my '04 because I don't know if I'll like the style of the newer ones, and I anticipate a large increase in price (even though everyone says to the contrary) the first year as dealers put thier "market adjustment" on the windows.

I figure if in a few years I like the C6 I'll just trade my '04 in. But the '04 is a really nice car. Go drive one....it's in a different league from your '84 crossfire..in all aspects. I loved my '95 I traded in, but the Z really outclasses it in every category.

-Dave C. '04 Z06

tscott9330 said:
I took a tour of the bowling green assembly plant about a week ago, and I got to see about 4 or 5 C6's very close up and I do have to say that at first I was a little apprehensive about the new style, but after getting a close look at the C6 and getting to hear the new LS2, Which now has 400 c.i., I have changed my mind. If you have the means to own o work of art like the C6 than more power to you, and enjoy the ride. Just my 2 cents worth.

Tom

p.s. I got to see a brand new C6 roll off the assembly line and into the dyno booth and do a full throttle run up to 75 mph. All I have to say is, there is no replacement for displacement.

Here is another reason to get a Z06 rather than a C6. Would you want to put this POS on the front of your car if you have to have a front plate? See story at:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48339

Sat_12.jpg

The Z06 is a tremendous performer. If you are after comfort, ride, amenities, quiet, etc, this not the car. It will ride much better than your '84, however. I just love mine and take it to the strip as often as I can. The only 'stock' car that can beat it is the Viper, and I run even with one of those (he has bad tires and has not figured out how to drive it yet).

If you purchase a new vette, regardless of type, I'd suggest keeping your '84 at least until you've had it a month or so. Frankly, it isn't worth much even sold privately, and you may find it has qualities that are not replaceable. You might want to keep both.

The C5 Z06 is a significant improvement in almost every direction except steering.

If, as I suspect, you've got a Z51 and like the steering, you may be disappointed with the C5, and the C6 will have the same ratio. The 16.1 to 1 steering is way too slow for the car (particularly considering the longer wheelbase) and makes it feel heavy and sluggish compared to an early Z51 C4 although it's actually lighter.

The C6 will have the same slow ratio and an even longer wheelbase, and GM is counting on the new runflats to improve the turn-in. They tried different gears, but at high speed (likely 150+) they made the car too pointy and difficult to drive. That won't help around town or for autocross, etc.

I've got a Z06, and I had a Z51 quick steer that I regret getting rid. There's no way to speed up the steering on the C5, and the same will almost certainly be true of the C6.

Thanks, BV, T.A., Dave C., DRTH VTR, and rwd!

Thanks a lot for all of your help and replies.

I am considering an '04 because I love the hidden headlights. My sentiments are shared with T.A.'s in regard to the C6. And yes, the POS referenced in BV's reply has to be a joke.

To rwd's suggestion, the little lady has said one or the other. I wish I could keep the '84. I know the '84 is not a popular year, but I love the car. It's still fun, and the Z51 is great (nothing like hitting your head on the glass top going over speed bumps...this might be a reason why this decision is so hard for me). It's got some sentimental value, too. But nothing lasts forever.

Is maintenace on the LS6's still manageable?

Thanks again to all of you.

:w

1stiff84 said:
Thanks a lot for all of your help and replies.
And yes, the POS referenced in BV's reply has to be a joke.
As far as I know it is not a joke. In fact in this thread some members are actually contacting GM regarding this. Where are they gonna put the front plate? This appears to be the option. This is the biggest POS that I have ever seen produced by GM!

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48339

The C6 plate issue is real. I was at Bowling Green when GM reluctantly debuted it.

Give your wife the '84...

Be sure to drive the Z extensively before purchasing one in order to avoid surprises, particularly as regards the handling. The steering and platform response are nothing like the '84/'85 Z51, and if you like that quality, it may be a stumbling block. It handles like a car; yours handles more like a kart.

Maintenance-wise, the LS6 is just another engine. No problems or special requirements.

Thanks again, BV and rwd.

I would be reluctant to show that POS, too. At least they painted it...:(

Thanks for telling me about the Z's steering, rwd. I love the sharp response I get from my Z51.

Wife won't drive the '84. I tried to sell her on the idea, but she refuses to drive a manual trans in good ol' traffic-pit LA.

Thanks again and all the best,

1 :w

If your wife has plans on driving the Z06 and you thought it was an automatic then you have some thinking to do.

You can still get a C5 Convertible or Coupe and do some modifications to it to get it up to Z06 performance. You can even get BETTER deals on covertibles and coupes now on '04's.

I know in your heart you want a Z06, but if you want peace in the home (assuming she planned on driving the vette) you will have to make a compromise.

Unless of course you plan on purchasing two new vettes!

DRTH VTR said:
I assume that you know all Z06's are manuals...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom