Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Z06 Dreaming

Anyway, a lot of talk here with no substance, lets get right back on the topic on hand!!!!! I made my position clear.

The purpose of this thread was to help 1stiff84 decide on getting a Z06! Let's stick to this now. Let's respect this guy's thread and take this somewhere else.

1stiff84 did you get your Z06 yet? What is your next move?

Do you have any more questions we can help you with?

BV is a PUNK

theblackvette said:
Anyway, a lot of talk here with no substance, lets get right back on the topic on hand!!!!! I made my position clear.

The purpose of this thread was to help 1stiff84 decide on getting a Z06! Let's stick to this now. Let's respect this guy's thread and take this somewhere else.

1stiff84 did you get your Z06 yet? What is your next move?

Do you have any more questions we can help you with?

OH i didn't know they made you Moderator of the Z06 forum.. Im sorry Mr. BV .. Mr. Moderator, i will get back on the subject now

So 1stiff04 .....(oh by the way thats your new name when you buy one) :) dude did you buy one or NOT?? and you will get a stiff ride if you buy a Z16.. my Z16 has a much stiffer ride than the 02 Z did. I notice when driving down certain highways it reminds me of the older Vettes that found every bump or small dip in the road, kinda cool in a way and anoying in other ways. Meaning the 02 Z06 was really amazing driving it because i would get friends saying it rode so nice.

One of my best friends tells me that the 04 Z16 i have doesn't ride that rough, i might be just breaking her in still. But i came directly from the 02 to the 04 and could tell the difference in suspension.

SO there Mr. BlackVette.. thats Z06 talk for the night.

good evening to all.. T.T.

Nah, not a moderator, LOL.

Just don't want this thread to get kicked away at our expense. Good post here though!!!!!

Tonys Torch said:
OH i didn't know they made you Moderator of the Z06 forum.. Im sorry Mr. BV .. Mr. Moderator, i will get back on the subject now

So 1stiff04 .....(oh by the way thats your new name when you buy one) :) dude did you buy one or NOT?? and you will get a stiff ride if you buy a Z16.. my Z16 has a much stiffer ride than the 02 Z did. I notice when driving down certain highways it reminds me of the older Vettes that found every bump or small dip in the road, kinda cool in a way and anoying in other ways. Meaning the 02 Z06 was really amazing driving it because i would get friends saying it rode so nice.

One of my best friends tells me that the 04 Z16 i have doesn't ride that rough, i might be just breaking her in still. But i came directly from the 02 to the 04 and could tell the difference in suspension.

SO there Mr. BlackVette.. thats Z06 talk for the night.

good evening to all.. T.T.

Thanks, BV and TT

To both of your recent posts, the only "chicken" here is me. I beat both of you by far. I am still thinking about the purchase. With the current deals and some people's unfavorable view of the '84, it should be a no-brainer. It is a great car; just not sure if it is worth parting with my '84 and $$$.

I take no offense for your recent posts; just don't understand what prompted the whole thing (nor is it any of my business); I must have missed something along the way.

Both of you have been a great help. Thanks again.

All the best,

1 :w

1stiff84 don't worry about us clowns here (that is me and Tonys Torch), even though Tony is the biggest clown of them all! We go back a long way.

As for being chicken....I understand. If you are concerned about parting with a large chunk of $$$$ and have your heart set on a Z06 and are concened about parting with the '84 then you may want to consider purchasing an "experienced" Z06. That is an '02 or '03 model in your area. However, getting a new '04 in the low 40K's is difficult to pass up on it.

There is no reason to make any impulsive car purchase. Do it when you are ready. Perhaps if you think about it some more you will find your decision will come naturally. Good luck! If you have any questions feel free to send them our way!

1stiff84 said:
To both of your recent posts, the only "chicken" here is me. I beat both of you by far. I am still thinking about the purchase. With the current deals and some people's unfavorable view of the '84, it should be a no-brainer. It is a great car; just not sure if it is worth parting with my '84 and $$$.

I take no offense for your recent posts; just don't understand what prompted the whole thing (nor is it any of my business); I must have missed something along the way.

Both of you have been a great help. Thanks again.

All the best,

Thanks to all who posted

Brought her home. What a machine!

I know all about that grin JBsC5 was referring to.

Thanks to all again.

All the best,

Congrats on the new ride. When you've broken it in a bit let us know what is your favorite aspects of the car!

The best of luck with your new ride!

Feel free to fill us in on each and every part of your new car purchase.

JB

1stiff84 said:
Brought her home. What a machine!

I know all about that grin JBsC5 was referring to.

Thanks to all again.

All the best,

Congrats. I want one too, so now I am jealous. Color? year model? what kind of deal? Details, details....

Yeah what he said

G WIZ said:
Congrats. I want one too, so now I am jealous. Color? year model? what kind of deal? Details, details....
Did i miss it??? what did you end up buying?? year color.. new/used???

Lets see that bad MUTHER

To BV, JBsC5, G Wiz, and TA

Thanks, All.

I bought a new silver 04.

Can't post pictures yet (no digital camera...I am poor (now poorer) and also technically inept).

The deciding factors for me were that I think the Corvette as long as I've loved them is soon to change...hidden headlights, longer body will be gone. Thank goodness the interior space is roomier than the '84...I've been sleeping in her since we brought her home. :cry

All the best,

Wonderful to hear

1stiff84 said:
Thanks, All.

I bought a new silver 04.

Can't post pictures yet (no digital camera...I am poor (now poorer) and also technically inept).

The deciding factors for me were that I think the Corvette as long as I've loved them is soon to change...hidden headlights, longer body will be gone. Thank goodness the interior space is roomier than the '84...I've been sleeping in her since we brought her home. :cry

All the best,

Great is it a Z06? and does it have black interior? Glad you made the move and hope you got a great deal.. That QuickSliver is very nice looking in person.

Now break her in easy up to 1000 miles.. well do the break in as the Good Book instructs. Wonder if BV ever learned to read his Manuel????? doubt it!!

Hi TA

Yes, I forgot that part...Silver Z w/black interior.

The Z06 is just a blast! Enjoy your new ride. Mine is a brute with just enough civility so that it can be used as a driver. And I can go to my local dragstrip and chew up Mustangs all day.

I think you're dead on, rwd. That perfectly explains why my 03 Miata (go ahead and laugh) is actually more fun to drive on the tight, twistie, mountain roads around here. The wheel base is short, the steering wheel is small, the car is 700 lbs. lighter than my ZO6 and it can be tossed around much easier than the sixer.

The fact of the matter is, they're both fun cars. Oh, and the Vette is faster on straighter, not as tight roads. :L

rwd said:
I know exactly what you mean.

I'll try to keep it short. It's not related to the number of turns lock to lock.

The '84-'89 Z51/Z52 steering gear ratio is 13.3 to 1, and the standard C4/C5/C6 steering ratio is 16.1 to 1. With the standard steering, you have to turn the wheel 20 percent further to effect the same front wheel deflection.

The longer a car's wheelbase, the slower it responds to directional changes. The C4 has a 96.2 inch wheelbase, the C5 is 104.5 inches and the C6 is 105.7 inches. Everything else being the same, a C4 will turn/respond more rapidly to the same steering input than the other two if they all have 16.1 to 1 gears.

The larger the steering wheel, the further you have to move your hands to achieve the same amount of rotation. Consider how far you'd have to move your hands to turn a 14-inch diameter wheel through 90 degrees compared to the same 1/4 rotation of a smaller 12 or 13-inch wheel.

Combine the slower ratio, the long wheelbase and steering wheel, and the result is a car that will turn and respond less quickly than one with quick steer, a short wheelbase, and a small steering wheel. That's one reason the '85-'89's are so popular for autocross and gymkhana, but it also has implications for street use as regards ease of driving and maneuverability.

Large steering wheels are useful for additional leverage on cars without power steering, but they're of little benefit when power steering is present since the boost can simply be increased if necessary. Wheel size often becomes a function of instrument panel design, column angle and leaving a hole large enough to see the gauges through.

It's clear from the posts that those who have owned the '84-'89 Z51 and Z52 cars know exactly what I'm talking about. The feeling is entirely different, and by comparison, a Z06, while 200 pounds lighter than some Z51's/Z52's, feels heavier and less responsive.

To be clear, 1stiff84, the intent was only to make you aware of an issue that might be overlooked in order to avoid unpleasant surprises, not to suggest a viewpoint or preference. Good luck, and try some different dealers.

Hi TA

Did you really do break-in by the book? Even the 55 mph part?

Thanks again,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

You must get pics!

I went by the book!!!!!

1stiff84 said:

Thanks again,

Yes

1stiff84 said:

Thanks again,

Yes i break these Corvette's in by the book.. you need to let everything get seated. rings, rearend.. brakes.. dont slam on the brakes.. do the 55 mph thing.. it will pay off for many years to come to you or whomever buys your car if you should sell way down the road.

But i would not do any burn outs or open trottle runs for a long time.. be nice the first 500 miles a little more aggressive in the next 500 BUT not wide open, and then at a 1000 you should be alright.

I can tell you this, i have a friend who broke his car in hard from the getgo and his car idles rough at red lights, he has had some oil leaks and back to the shop a few times. NOT saying it was the way he broke his car in but i have had many Corvettes, and the last two are Z06's.. Both of my Z's have been wonderful in performance and driving ability.

And you can Take that to the bank!! Read that book or watch that video, or listen to that CD my new Z06 buddy.

see ya.. T. T.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom