Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Z06 vs Convertable

Remo

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2001 Quicksilver Lingenfelter Convertible
Folks,

I'm 55 years old and have reached the point in my life where purchasing a new Corvette makes sense. No more kids to put through college, no morgage on the house, no car loans career is secure, life is good.

Here's the delima. I love the Z06 with 405 HP and the associated performance envelope. On the other hand I really like the idea of some occassional top-down driving along with the great look of the convertible (top up or down). The difference in price has no bearing on the subject. Is this an issue with any of you? Any recommendations?

Thank - Remo

You realy cant go wrong ether way. The Z will be a blast to drive and the resale should be a little better. The Vert sure is nice when it is not to hot or to cold. Depending on where you live you may not have too many times to have that perfect weather. :)

Gotta go with the roadster, even if you only go topless half the time. A whole different state of mind when out for a cruise. Besides, you can always add the aftermarket goodies to pick up the extra 55 hp if you decide you really need it.
Brett

turbocharge it!

Get the vert, take it to Lingenfelter . They have a turbo for a C5 that adds 140 hp for somewhere around 9 grand, which includes the new hood, painted and fully installed. Since money is no object, you could be the first on your block to have a 490 hp convertable corvette!
One of these day I just might have mine upgraded, but for now, it is fast enough for everyday driving. Good luck, we all should have such decisions to make!:)
--Drew:w

Senior Moment

Pick the color and model of your like and go-for-it. LOL, I had a fellow stop by the other morning while I was putting the top up. He took one long look at the vette & his comment was "Having a senior monent?". My reply was "It'll make a 16 yr old outa ya" His recourse "Damn! I wish you hadn't said that"
Save the wave
Tom

I vote for the top down!!!
Wonder why?
Tom

Definetly biased but like the look of the convertable better. They hold their value better according to www.kbb.com, always like getting something for close to the amount I gave for it. Also agree with Brett you can always get the extra horsepower with a few easy bolt ons. l

Topless! The only way to drive a Vette IMHO:D, but I am just a tad biased.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the CAC!

Remo, go for the vert unless your going to race or autocross. The vert is plenty fast. Can't believe how quick you run out of road at WOT. In your post you said money was not a object so if the vert isn't fast enough it's easier to mod a vert than cut the top off the ZO6. Life is good. Enjoy, Michael

They both go fast

So which one are you MORE attracted to? Whichever one that is, get it. Either way you won't be sorry.
--Drew:w

New Vette

My vote is for the Roadster. Never put my top up unless it's at work. Plus the value stays up there. However, HMMM. man that power- - - -
Tuff Choice, lots o' luck

Why not get the Z06 and make it a convertible. Seems like vette magazine had an article where someone was making custom verts out of Z06's. That would be so sweet! Although I do think that if you want the power and handling of a Z06 with the look of a vert, you might just want to buy the vert and upgrade the suspension along with the Ligenfelter package.

Oh and by the way, feel free to come take me for a ride in you 490HP vert any time!

Russ

Which One?

I can only tell you this,
I've owned two other convertibles in my life, and I miss THEM :cry

My Corvette coupe, NEVER see's the t-tops in the summer.

RAG TOP, RAG TOP, RAG TOP!!!! :cool

You could always add the HP :bu

P.S. Since money is no object, will you adopt me?:BOW

Convertible versus horsepower

Hey Remo,
I'm 53 and love HP as much as anybody on these boards(old drag racer!), but as much as I like to go fast, in today's heavy traffic the opportunities are limited compared to when you and I were kids. Conversely, I can put the top down any damn time I want and I do! Now, I have been dealing in HP for years, as have many people on this forum, and I can manufacture that at any time. Look at some of these folks dyno numbers and you will see what I mean. Once you get the convertible you can always add the power. Go for the 'VERT!
Joe

The vert I own is more car than I have ever owned or driven. Honestly, I have considered periodically to upgrade the intake and exhaust, but I haven't reached the limits of the car's capabilities yet. The Z is quick, but understand, the vert is quick too.

The only down side that I've found so far is that I can't take it on the track yet. I need a hard top for that.

For me, IMHO, the vert is the only way to live

Mike

id go w/ the Z06, i think it looks better than the convertable, but since you live in MA (i live in CT), u will have a couple of good top down months, but the Z06 has better performance w/o having to add anything (which means u can start driving it sooner), if your basing it on looks, and u want a removable top, go w/ the coupe

Here's a good article on the 2002 Z06. Hope it helps you decide, but either way you're pretty much in a "win-win" situation.

Personally, I'd go for a non Z06 in a 2003 model just to get the unbelievably excellent SELECTIVE MAGNETIC RIDE CONTROL. I got a ride in the 50th Annivesary Pace Car at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway back in April. Awesome at any speed, but it blows your mind at 140mph...you simply cannot believe how it grips in the corners...like your tires are covered with sticky, gummy, grippy stuff...

It remains to be seen but I think the new SELECTIVE MAGNETIC RIDE CONTROL may give the Z06 a run for it's money in slalom tests. SELECTIVE MAGNETIC RIDE CONTROL is not available in the Z06.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/spin/48955/article.html

Hmmmm,
If money is no object, get both... LOL You will soon have the biggest grin in America.

Vettepilot

Thanks To All - Z06 vs Convertible

To all,

Thanks for the input on the Z06 vs Convertible issue. It pretty much solidified what I was leaning towards - the vert. And yes up here in New England the weather is a consideration. In fact the last fast car I had (90 Saleen) averaged about 1,000 mi per year. Five months of the year there's snow on the ground - but it still looked "good" sitting in the garage. So for the balance of the year, substracting out the thunder storms, cold days and Mrs. Remo's complaints about wind blown hair, I figure about 12 top down days each year. Which would just about cover the 1,000 miles per year. Yes we're getting old and cranky.

As far as you guys who suggested I adopt you - forget it. Like I said, I just finished putting two kids through college. That's why I'm liquid again. Mrs. Remo and I did our family thing - now it's time for us to back out and play (every now and then).

Thanks again - Remo

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom