Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Z06, Z16, Z51?

ZMONSTER!

What exactly do each of these mean? Im new to this site and corvettes in general and if anyone could let me know what each of these means or let me know about a sticky defining each of these types It would be much appreciated. Im already familiar with the C5 Z06 but what are the Z16 and Z51? better than Z06?

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center ZMONSTER!

Z51 and Z16 refer to RPO codes. RPO Z51 is the Performance Handling Package and included stiffer springs and stabilizers. RPO Z16 is the European Commemorative Edition Performance Package for the C5. On the C4 model, specifically 1996, it was the Grand Sport Package.

The CAC Tech Center > Model Center is a wealth of information on the various RPO codes and option packages. Click me for CAC Model Center Index

Hopefully someone more educated in the two options will come along soon and add to my limited explanation.

:wJane Ann

Z51 and Z16 refer to RPO codes. RPO Z51 is the Performance Handling Package and included stiffer springs and stabilizers. RPO Z16 is the European Commemorative Edition Performance Package for the C5.
I have to disagree with the above.
  • The Z16 was the 2004 Commemorative Edition Z06
  • The Z18 was the European Commemorative Edition Z06
The Z51 was only for C5s; the Z16 and Z18 referred specifically to Z06 models.

Thanks Bob. I stand corrected.

Actually - I thought Z16 was the 2004 CE Z06 RPO... but to be on the safe side I double checked the 2004 RPO Code page (click) from the Model Center to verify my facts before posting. I thought I was wrong when I found this:

Z16Performance Package European Commemorative Edition
Z18Performance Package Z06 Commemorative Edition

Looks like I had it right the first... and the boss will have to make a correction.

And

Z06 Is a model Number (400+ Hp) and Means it's Bad to the Bone!!!! :upthumbs Welcome to:CAC

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hey Z Monster, Welcome to CAC, What FOB are you on? I was on Gabe and just left Warhorse last Nov. I am going to Baghdad in Dec. May God Bless and Keep you.
Steve

Wow thanks everyone I appreciate the warm welcome and the info! Iplan on picking up an 02-04 Z06 after deployment. Bradleywrench13 Im at Warhorse with 4-2ID. been there for a couple of months and will probably finish the tour there. ETS oct of 08!

Hey, ZMonster, and welcome to the :CAC

When you get back state-side, and start your search for a Vette in earnest, you will likely have a bunch of questions. Don't hesitate to ask those questions here. There's a wealth of knowledge about Corvettes to draw upon here. And in the mean time, stay safe and come home to us.

:w
-Patrick

For those unaware of RPO:

Regular Production Option.

Bob is right. I made the correction to that page. Thanks!

Thanks Rob!

ZMONSTER... Let us hear from you when you're able. When you get back stateside we expect you to post questions and reports during your search... and of course we expect photos when you find the one that's out there waiting for you!

Thank you for your service. :pat

Hey Rob, you have to make another correction! :D The Z18 was not a Z06 but a coupe with CE package items.

Z18 specs.
These 45 Coupes are VERY RARE and in fact will end up being the RAREST of all Commemorative Edition Corvettes. All forty-five Z18s were 6-Speeds with a very unique Z06 type suspension including the Z06s Nuremburg inspired shocks as part of its unique performance package. This rare Z18 package included the carbon fiber hood found on the Z06-Z16s along with its very special Commemorative Edition stripes which are unique to these forty-five C5s as the roof and hatch decal is of a different length compared to the Z06-Z16. This package also included the standard high polished wheels off of the Commemorative Coupe and Convertible packages, but the tires are of a non-run flat design created for Europe. All Z18s came with Z06s Red Brake Calipers front and rear and had the LS1 engine installed in them. Also the Z18 has the Z06's CE black interior seats.

Still wrong!
Z18 Performance Package European Commemorative Edition

This car was a coupe with the Z16 stripes, thin spoke wheels, not the Z06 motor, and I belive no CF hood.

Edit: sorry Doug didn't check the last post! What he said! :L

Still wrong!
Z18 Performance Package European Commemorative Edition

This car was a coupe with the Z16 stripes, thin spoke wheels, not the Z06 motor, and I belive no CF hood.

Edit: sorry Doug didn't check the last post! What he said! :L
No worries Frank, as long as someone keeps up on this stuff! ;)

Is there confusion, here....maybe a bit.

Facts:
Z16 has been used three times to my knowlege. The 1965 Chevelle SS396 was RPO Z16. The 1996 Grand Sport (cpe and conv) was RPO Z16 and the 2004 LeMans Commemorative Edition Z06 was RPO Z16

Z18 was an European-export-only, LeMans Commemorative non-Z06 Coupe (ie: Targa) which had the stripes (but w. different dimensions as noted above), the CF hood, the red brakes, but lacked the Z06 tires and wheels, the LS6 engine and the ti exhaust. As stated above, the wheels were the base, high-polish wheels and the tires were base sizes, but non-EMT. Information above states 45 of these Z18 coupes were built but the correct number is 46 sold.

Speculation:
My guess is the suspension was a unique crossbreed of Z51 with the Z06 shocks added but I need to look into that.

So, to simplify things, and to answer the original poster's questions.

The Z51 is a performance suspension package available on Coupes and Convertibles (and also on some older and newer generation vettes).

The Z06 has the FE4 suspension (even more performance than the Z51), the M12 transmission (has shorter gearing in every gear, excluding 4th gear, in comparison with the M6 transmission found in manual coupes and convertibles), is lighter weight, Fixed Roof Coupe design, titanium exhaust, LS6 motor (more power than the LS1) and a few other options.

The Z16 is a Z06 with the Commemorative Edition options (color scheme, etc...to commemorate Corvette's participation in Le Mans).

I could be mistaken on one or two small details.

Is there confusion, here....maybe a bit.

Facts:
Z16 has been used three times to my knowlege. The 1965 Chevelle SS396 was RPO Z16. The 1996 Grand Sport (cpe and conv) was RPO Z16 and the 2004 LeMans Commemorative Edition Z06 was RPO Z16

Z18 was an European-export-only, LeMans Commemorative non-Z06 Coupe (ie: Targa) which had the stripes (but w. different dimensions as noted above), the CF hood, the red brakes, but lacked the Z06 tires and wheels, the LS6 engine and the ti exhaust. As stated above, the wheels were the base, high-polish wheels and the tires were base sizes, but non-EMT. Information above states 45 of these Z18 coupes were built but the correct number is 46 sold.

Speculation:
My guess is the suspension was a unique crossbreed of Z51 with the Z06 shocks added but I need to look into that.
Hib, all the info I've seem says the Z18 came with the LS1 not the LS6 engine. Can you confirm on this? Enquiring minds want to know! :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom