Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Z51 Tires vs. Standard C6 Tires

njmercer

Corvette
2005 Victory Red Coupe
Can anyone tell me if the sides of the tires that come on the standard C6 Coupe are the same as the sides of the Z51 Performance Package tires, specifically, I need to know if they have that thicker lip on the outside edge. I was under the impression that the only difference in the tires was the tread pattern. Can anyone verify this for me?

njmercer said:
Can anyone tell me if the sides of the tires that come on the standard C6 Coupe are the same as the sides of the Z51 Performance Package tires, specifically, I need to know if they have that thicker lip on the outside edge. I was under the impression that the only difference in the tires was the tread pattern. Can anyone verify this for me?

I spoke to a Chevrolet dealer two weeks ago and he did point out the difference in the tread patterns on the Z51 opted 'Vette as opposed to the normally shod ( i.e. standard suspension or Magnetic Selective Ride) 'Vette. I observed no readily apparent difference in the tire sizes nor did he say the tire sizes are different.
I do not believe that the Chevrolet web site quotes anything but that the Z51 Since the tire tread patterns on the Z51 are more perpendicular to the wheel spin as opposed to the "V" style pattern of the standard tires, I would suspect that

njmercer said:

I spoke with a Chevrolet dealer two weeks ago and he did point out the difference in the Z51 opted 'Vette as opposed to the standard shod C6 with either the standard suspension or Magnetic Selective Ride Suspension. I saw no readily apparent difference in tire size nor does the Chevrolet Web site offer more than that the Z51 Performance package has Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT's with an assymetric tread pattern.

( I noticed that the Supercar EMT's tread pattern has more or less perpendicular orientation in relationship to the tires spin as opposed to the "V" style pattern on the standard tires) It may be that the Z51 tires are slightly wider than the standard tire ( a few millimeters maybe?). I can't see a radically wider tire due to clearance issues ( Check out the C6 Z06 and they added 2-3 inches of width to the body to account for wider tires)
Let me know what you find out. "Skip"

I think you'll find that the tires have different tread wear ratings also - meaning different rubber compounds.

I know the SC EMT has a rating of 220 but I can't find the rating for the standard GS-2 EMT tire anywhere.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom