Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZO7 adjustable suspension package

D

davesredvette

I am trying to find out more about this option. I have a 94 with the FX3 ride control and am wanting to know how the ZO7 package ties into the FX3. Is that how it is adjustable or is there something in the suspension it self? I know this may sound dumb but this is my first vette and I love it, I just wanting to know more. There was only 887 this year 1994 of which I am lucky to have one. Anyone else have one I would like to know.

Z07 has bigger springs and 32mm sway bar, I also think the bilsteins are different

It's not a dumb question at all. The Z07 option included the engine oil cooler, FX3 adjustable Bilstein shock absorbers, heavy duty brakes, springs, stabilizers and bushings.

In addition to all of the above, the ride control computer was programmed a little differently. The shock dampening is brought up a little quicker to provide the dampening needed for agressive driving. BTW, aftermarket PROMs are available to provide even more radical programming of the shocks servos.
The wheels/tires were all 9.5x17, with 275/40 GSCs mounted at all four corners instead of the base wheel/tire sizes. Prior to the 94 model year the heavy duty brakes were included as part of the Z07 pkg. The heavy duty brakes became part of the base model in 94. The Z07 RPO was not a well known option I guess, the total number made was only slightly more than 3000 over the course of about 6 model years, (90 - 95) the option was dropped in favor of going to the Z-51 RPO in 96. The only diff between the Z07 and the Z-51 was the shocks, non-adjustable in the Z-51. Thereby eliminating the need for special(spell expensive) shocks,actuators, and ride control computer.
I special ordered my 1993, and enjoyed it all these years, just traded it in for my 2002 Z06.

I'm glad I found this site, thanks for the input on the ZO7. If I change the back wheels to 10 x18 will that interfear with the package or am I better off leaving them this size? My front wheels are losing their chrome and instead of having them rechromed I was thinking of going with the five spoke and switching over to a larger size in back. Also does anyone know the ratio for the G92-Performance axle, the reg. is 3.07? I've been averaging 16 mpg,but it's hard to not get on it. I'm thinking of changing the exhaust and a K&n filter and having a dyno done. Then switching the chip to get the most out of the add ons. I'm hoping to get about 380 to 400 hp, any suggestions?

3.07 IS the performance axle, G92 was a required option for cars with the Z07 RPO option and automatic trans. It was also available as an option RPO G92 for all other automatic equipped cars. I think 2.73 was the standard final drive for auto trans.
The 6 spd cars had 3.45 final drives.
Almost forgot about the wheel question...
It depends on what your planning to do with the car and the mods, as far as handling goes, it handles terrific with the 275/40/17s, going to 10x18 wheels will allow you to install wider tires, up to a point. The 9.5 rims will take tires (correctly) up to 285 maybe 295. I have seen several with 315/35s (ZR-1 rears) but the tire is really too wide for the 9.5 inch rim, the tires bulge in the center section unless you reduce the air pressure, then the side wall flexes way too much and handling performance is compromised. The Z06 has 10x18 on the rear with 295/35 tires. That's a good cross section on the pavement for driving everyday.
With 405HP and 400 lbs of torque, it could probably use more, but the smart guys figured this one out, and it works pretty well.
Remember, Chevrolet hires some pretty smart automotive engineers to design the components and systems on the Corvette, granted much is compromised to meet federal standards, but in the long run the car is well designed. I have watched many enthusiasts develop long sad faces after spending thousands for aftermarket parts, only to find out they didn't gain any appreciable benefits. But then I also know of some who spent their money wisely, and have some pretty hot cars. So it's really how well the money is spent.

vettepilot

380 to 400 HP?

The 3.07 rear end is in fact the G92 Performance Axle.
I hate to be the one to bust your bubble, but there is no way the bolt ons you mention will get you anywhere near these numbers. With heads, cam, headers, exhaust, larger TB, and the reprogramming you would be in the ball park. Please don't believe the claims of all the manufacturers of aftermarket bolt-ons. If they were truein all instances then you could get 400 hp easy with just a few bolt-on parts. Trouble is, it just ain't so. Prove it to yourself and have your car dynoed while it is stock and then do it after all your mods. I would be curious to see the results. Please don't get me wrong, these mods you mentioned will help (I've spent a small fortune on them myself) just don't expect them to add up to the numbers they advertise.

Re: 380 to 400 HP?

vetsvette said:
The 3.07 rear end is in fact the G92 Performance Axle.
I hate to be the one to bust your bubble, but there is no way the bolt ons you mention will get you anywhere near these numbers. With heads, cam, headers, exhaust, larger TB, and the reprogramming you would be in the ball park. Please don't believe the claims of all the manufacturers of aftermarket bolt-ons. If they were truein all instances then you could get 400 hp easy with just a few bolt-on parts. Trouble is, it just ain't so. Prove it to yourself and have your car dynoed while it is stock and then do it after all your mods. I would be curious to see the results. Please don't get me wrong, these mods you mentioned will help (I've spent a small fortune on them myself) just don't expect them to add up to the numbers they advertise.

Your right about that the only way your going to get the 80-100 HP bump is to have some bottom work done, even if you change the heads out, new intake, exhaust your only going to see 30-45 HP gain, with a stock motor ,of course you could get and instant 100 ponies with a 100 shot bottle. You could change the throttle body out to 52mm but that's not recommended unless you have a cubic inch increase, you can actually degrade performance by changing it out. To get a better handling package you can have your Bilsteins revalved to racing specs like mine, then have the actuators reprogrammed to handle the new valves. On Bilsteins look at having them re-built around 35-40k miles.:w
I have Z07 on mine , but Callaway did that for me and did some tweaking to bring the handling even better, such as coil overs with stiffer springs

Hey guys great input, I guess you cann't believe what a salesman tells you.:eek: After all your input I guess I should leave well enough alone,besides it runs and handles great just like it is. I wanted to try and keep it all original so it would keep it's value better. I guess the smart thing to do would be save my money and buy a Z06 like vettepilot. Every sense I got this one that has been on my mind. I read on the NCM that the 2003 are coming out with 425 hp for the Z06 and 365 for base. I would really like one of the 50 anniversary models. I'm signing up for the carvan that are going there next year for the anniversary celebration. I hope to see some of you guys there.:w :dance

davesred...now you're thinking. I'm modifying the exhaust system for better sound...adn that's it. 300 horses and 150+ top speeds more than i could ever use on the streets. Why spend a couple of thousand or more for 45-60 more horses....to do what?
Not faulting those who decide to pursue that course...just not for me. My motto....keep it stock, stay out of hock......

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom