Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR-1 92 hp?

ajax6

Hi.

I'm just about to buy a -92 ZR-1. The owner claims the LT5 is 405 hp. I'm pretty sure that engine version is from -93. What's correct?

When driving it and shifting down from 3:d to 2:nd I heard a distinctive (but not very loud) exhaust bang from the end of the pipes. This happend twice. Is it normal or an indication of some serious engine trouble? Any guesses?

TIA

Peter

Just as I thought. Thank's.

And how 'bout the backfiring? Is it normal?

Peter
Backfiring isn't normal.

But before I get to that. The 1990 - 1990 LT5 engines came with 375hp. The 1993 - 1995 LT5 engines came with 405 hp. Unless he had the engine replaced with a second generation LT5, the engine in that car should be 375.

As far as backfiring, the engine should not be backfiring. Sometimes, the engine can chug, and shake a little upon start up if it hasn't been started in a while, or if the fuel injectors are leaking into the cylinders. Other than that, the engine should not backfire.

What does the engine have on it for mileage? How has it been driven?

Ok. Would you skip the deal, then?

The engine has 47 K.
It's hard to say. I'd have to see the car and find out why the owner is claiming that it has 405hp when it should only have 375.

Your backfire could be the exhaust.
I'm running headers, no cats, and Borla mufflers. I, often, get a slight
backfire from the exhaust.

Yeah, that sounds somewhat like my problem. Not really a serious backfire - rather a 'pop' in the pipes.
Does the car have the stock exhaust or an aftermarket exhaust?

BACKFIRING WHEN DOWN SHIFTING IS NORMAL.SEEMS WORSE WITH HEADERS.GET A CHIP FROM MARC HE CAN TAKE THAT OUT.

STEVE

Talk 'bout backfiring!!!

spaceshuttle12.jpg

Peter

My 90 with heders and flowmasters has some nice backfires when I downshift and they are lound nothing pansylike a little pop.

I wouldnt wory about hearing a little backfire it happens sometimes.

Take ti out do a few full RPM runs bang it through the gears and get the carbon out of the engine

My 90 with heders and flowmasters has some nice backfires when I downshift and they are lound nothing pansylike a little pop.

I wouldnt wory about hearing a little backfire it happens sometimes.

Take ti out do a few full RPM runs bang it through the gears and get the carbon out of the engine

Ok, thank's. That sounds good. This is the beauty I'm considering:

P1010017.jpg

P1010020.jpg

[

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom