Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR-1 Aging process

ZR-1 Aging Process

I bought my 94 ZR-1 with 10K+ miles on it in 2002? (memory is the first to go for an old fart). Drove it <3K miles over the next two years... did nothing but change the Mobile One... She was perfect in every respect when I got her, and perfect when I sold her... No leaks of any kind; properly stored winters with fuel stabilizer, etc. NO windsheild delam... may be a factor of exposure to sunlight???

The car was the fastest and easiest to drive Corvette I have ever owned out of a 1/2 dozen... BUT...the value was dropping steadily, and with a combo of the old Z06's and new C6's and esp. the new Z06's, I believe the ZR-1 will only become a minor footnote in Corvette History... no reason to believe that the value will ever go up to anywhere near original retail. They simpley didn't have the unique factors of say a Shelby GT500 (although twice the car in every way!)

Best bet...buy one with 20K or so on it and drive it like you stole it, which, according to the original sticker price, you did! Don't plan on ever selling it... you can get it fixed at the majority of large city Chevy dealerships if something goes awry that you really can't handle. In 2050, you might be able to double up on your original investment if you have taken reasonable care of the body, and we all aren't dead or riding mass transit by then! Good luck!

ZR-1 AGING

IN THE 60'S AND 70'S, WELL, AND THE 80'S THEY SAID BIG BLOCK VETTES WERE DINOSAURS AND GAS HOGS. NOW HOW MUCH ARE THEY? THE ZR-1 SHOWS LIKE NOTHING ELSE, AND IS THE MOST SOPHISTICATED ENGINE EVER PRODUCED BY G.M. AN ENGINE THAT CAN PRODUCE 500 HP WITH MILD CAMS, AND STILL GET 30MPG ON THE HIGHWAY IS STILL TOUGH TO DO. I LIKE TO COMPARE IT TO THE ALLISON V1710 AIRCRAFT ENGINE, (DESIGNED IN 1935) FOR IT'S QUALITY AND SOPHISTICATION IN 4 VALVE TECHNOLOGY. CHEVY WENT BACK TO 2 VALVE HEADS? ONLY FOR COST REASONS, NOT BECAUSE IT WAS BETTER. OH, I HAVE A SET OF 17X11" 1989 ZR-1 WHEELS ON MY 91, WITH THE SLOTS PAINTED THE TURQUOISE COLOR. THEY LOOK VERY HOT. THOSE WHEELS ARE VERRRY RARE, WITH A CASTING DATE OF 2/1/88.

ZR-1 is better, why?

No question, the Lotus / Mercury Marine 4 cam is a very nice piece...but in 20 years, will anyone really care? It's not a "Big Block"... it's not the highest HP motor (now), and it's going to get old and difficult to live with eventually. I love the car...just stating facts!

Maybe it will become the 1967 427 Tri power of the 90's...we can only hope!!!

kaijumax said:
Keep an eye on CorvettesUnlimited's website as they are planning on a very big meet in June of "06

What is their web site? I tried there name.com and got a dealer in the Ozarks. Bit of a drive from Ma I think.

I got my 95 a few years ago with 800 miles on it and has just gone over the 3,000 mile mark. It has never had a leak or any problem. Runs like new.

I bought a 91 with 60,000 miles on it. The previous owner took care of the car and didn't beat it into the ground. I have had no trouble with the car other than the usual Bose speaker problem. The car drives great and feels like new.

ZR-1 Aging

LMN8R said:
I'll be looking for a '94-95 ZR-1 come summer of '06, and am just now getting more serious about researching the car. One of the things that I have not been able to come across is this: Should I be looking for one with the fewest miles possible (like 1-2k) or one with a few more miles on it? If the car has been sitting around for 10 years does this cause leaks or anything like that?

Also, from what I can tell, there should be no disadvantage to those 2 years. Is there anything to suggest otherwise?

Thanks a bunch.

I recently bought a '94 ZR-1 with about 11,500 miles and original tires. The only issue I had was the car was not driven much over a few years and the lube in the gear box had pretty much leached off the gears. A little gentle driving cleared the problem. What I did find in my looking around for a few months is very low mileage ZR-1s may have a problem with the fuel pump diaphrams drying out. Replacement pumps are expensive. Other items you want to pay attention are things like wheel bearing grease, axle seals, etc. I wouldn't let these things stop you from buying but should be inspected before driving the car too far or hard. You will also find many have exhaust system replacements, while performance enhancing, see if the owner still has the original as 'all stock' tends to increase the value. Computer chips are also common replacements to get around shift lockouts and some by-pass the power key. Again, see if the owner still has the original chip. Good luck on your looking. Many come out of storage in the spring -- the ZR1 is a great car! Mike Rice, Coloardo Springs

FUEL PUMPS

ABOUT THOSE FUEL PUMPS. I WAS WARNED, BUT I TOOK A CHANCE, AND RAN THE FUEL TANK EMPTY. WITHOUT THE GAS, THE GROUND STRAP ON THE 12V MOTOR/PUMP BURNED RIGHT OFF, STOPPING THE PUMP, AND THE SMELL OF BURNED ELECTRICAL PARTS INSIDE THE GAS TANK IS NOT A GOOD SITUATION. IT IS IMPORTANT TO KEEP FUEL IN THE TANK, ESPECIALLY WHEN STORED, LIKE AIRPLANES DO. IF YOU DO NEED THE PUMP ASSY. THE DEALER WANTS $700.00 FOR IT. IF YOUR BUY IT FROM A.C. DELCO, IT IS AROUND $185.00 WHOLESALE. I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER THEY WILL BE AVAILABLE, THOUGH. YOU MIGHT WANT TO KEEP A SPARE, AS IT IS A DOUBLE PUMP. ONE EACH FOR EACH SET OF INJECTORS, AND HIGH VOLUME ALSO. THE STANDARD VETTE PUMP WILL NEVER WORK.

Whoops, It's Covettesunited. I have a friend there (Howard) organizing a show for around June. Nothing posted on the website just yet thought.
Spindle City is also a central Mass Corvette club. They have a show every year at Kimballs Ice Cream Farm, a local favorite cruise nite spot during the summer months. I showed my car there at there fall meet(check out there gallery). It suprised me how many people don't know much about the Callaway's. Check them out!;)

http://www.corvettesunited.com/
http://www.spindlecitycorvettes.com/
lnirenberg said:
What is their web site? I tried there name.com and got a dealer in the Ozarks. Bit of a drive from Ma I think.

Doesn’t the fuel pump used for the Suburban match the required specs as a ZR-1 fuel pump. They are considerably cheaper. Corvette Fever had an article about this sometime ago.

B17Crew
:w

BOB SWEETING said:
ABOUT THOSE FUEL PUMPS. I WAS WARNED, BUT I TOOK A CHANCE, AND RAN THE FUEL TANK EMPTY. WITHOUT THE GAS, THE GROUND STRAP ON THE 12V MOTOR/PUMP BURNED RIGHT OFF, STOPPING THE PUMP, AND THE SMELL OF BURNED ELECTRICAL PARTS INSIDE THE GAS TANK IS NOT A GOOD SITUATION. IT IS IMPORTANT TO KEEP FUEL IN THE TANK, ESPECIALLY WHEN STORED, LIKE AIRPLANES DO. IF YOU DO NEED THE PUMP ASSY. THE DEALER WANTS $700.00 FOR IT. IF YOUR BUY IT FROM A.C. DELCO, IT IS AROUND $185.00 WHOLESALE. I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER THEY WILL BE AVAILABLE, THOUGH. YOU MIGHT WANT TO KEEP A SPARE, AS IT IS A DOUBLE PUMP. ONE EACH FOR EACH SET OF INJECTORS, AND HIGH VOLUME ALSO. THE STANDARD VETTE PUMP WILL NEVER WORK.

Doesn’t the fuel pump used for the Suburban match the required specs as a ZR-1 fuel pump. They are considerably cheaper. Corvette Fever had an article about this sometime ago.

B17Crew

If your fuel pumps go bad, a 1996 Suburban fuel pump is the same. The GM part # is 25163473 and cost about 75 bucks.

Suburban

I read on ZR1.net there was an issue with that suburban Fuel pump.

paperclerk101,

Do you recall the issue with the Suburban pump? They ZR-1.net is still listing the Suburban fuel pump as an option for replacement. (see info I pulled from their site below). If there are issues, someone should let the admins know so they can edit their recommendations in the “how to section”.

ZR-1 Fuel Pump Replacement

by Glenn Richardson
Last Update: 10/23/2004

DIAGNOSIS:
Replacing a bad fuel pump

Fuel Pump part numbers:

GM Part #25163473 ($72) *Fits '96 Suburban with 454 Engine
Airtex - E3904 ($69) (800 424 7839)
Master- E3265 ($69)
Neihoff - P36 (it also has BWD P36 on it) ($65)

B17Crew

welll....

Just going by memory, I would say the post is 4 years old. I got my Z in July '02 and was right around then, but maybe at the time the pump was different. I seem to remember that the issue was it didn't pump enough or something like that.

Could have been "are you sure it pumps enough?" etc... but I figured I would say something

Dave

paperclerk101 said:
Could have been "are you sure it pumps enough?" etc... but I figured I would say something

Dave

Nothing wrong with that, I’m glad you mentioned something, that’s how we all gather information here on the CAC and learn from one another. I try to read up on ZR-1’s as much as I can because from time to time I think about moving up to one. Only problem is I really enjoy my LT4 and it has not one issue. I was considering adding a ’95-96 vert to go along with the LT4, but if I eventually go the route of the Z, I have to unload my LT4, and forgo the vert.

B17Crew

vert

Before I got the Z I was looking at a vert, LT1 green like yours, If I see it correctly, anyway the Z came avail and I went with it.
Love a Vert, but love the raw thrill of the Z's raw power just a little more :p

paperclerk101 said:
Before I got the Z I was looking at a vert, LT1 green like yours, If I see it correctly, anyway the Z came avail and I went with it.
Love a Vert, but love the raw thrill of the Z's raw power just a little more :p

I have yet to drive a Z, but I know it will knock my socks off when I finally do. I’ve always wanted one. I remember the Z’s introduction very well. I’ll never forget the first one I saw in person, I remember that thrill as if it was only yesterday.

B17Crew

hahah

Took a friend for a ride, just before Carlisle and retire for winter.

BTW, he drives a '99 corolla and loves it.

I think he is still has white knuckles.

DC

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom