Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR-1 Aging process

LMN8R

Corvette
1998 Black Coupe
I'll be looking for a '94-95 ZR-1 come summer of '06, and am just now getting more serious about researching the car. One of the things that I have not been able to come across is this: Should I be looking for one with the fewest miles possible (like 1-2k) or one with a few more miles on it? If the car has been sitting around for 10 years does this cause leaks or anything like that?

Also, from what I can tell, there should be no disadvantage to those 2 years. Is there anything to suggest otherwise?

Thanks a bunch.

I prefer the cars that have at least gone 2k miles a year. The ones that have sat dorment for most of their lives will suffer from dry gaskets and general deterioration of seals in major components. Buy one with 20-30k on it. Ones with only 1-2k on them and aren't hardly driven are not worth the extra cash people ask for them. These cars were made to be driven not just used as garage ornements with owners waiting for what they feel is the perfect weather to drive them in.

:bar

Injector problems are sort of common on the early motor cars that sat a lot, especially the secondary injectors. And vacuum leaks aren't uncommon. I also wanted a car that had about 1-2k miles per year, though I ended up with vacuum and injector problems too. Ones that wouldn't have had to be addressed if I just wanted a driver, though. The injector leak is pretty mild, and the idle is pretty smooth.

Don't be afraid of cars with a few miles, these motors are amazing and durable. But of course every car is different when you are talking 10+ years, so judge the condition of what you are looking at.

Anyway, the only difference I can think of between 1994 and 1995 is the gill panels. Good luck in your search, they are great cars!

Or if your really worried about it you can send the car to me adn ill pull the motor and change all your gaskets for a dsent price.

the gaskets can be had for a complete engine change for $500 from whiteracingproducts.com

enjoy it but if you dont plan on driving it much I wouldnt worry about it and you can look the motor over for leaks.

I wouldnt be to worried about the gaskets plenty of guys have cars with low miles that started driving them without any problems

johnny

Thank you all very much. Very helpful information.

Aurora40 said:
Anyway, the only difference I can think of between 1994 and 1995 is the gill panels. Good luck in your search, they are great cars!

Oh grasshopper you have forgotten the most important of differences....DUNN heads on the last 135 95 models. The awsome power exibited by these heads is unforgetable and worth many extra thousands of dollars especially to the fortunate one that owns one of these rare beasts. Go Dunn heads or go none at all!

carter200 said:
Oh grasshopper you have forgotten the most important of differences....DUNN heads on the last 135 95 models. The awsome power exibited by these heads is unforgetable and worth many extra thousands of dollars especially to the fortunate one that owns one of these rare beasts. Go Dunn heads or go none at all!

I hope to god you are kidding

LMN8R

Dont get me wrong when I was younger all I ever dreamed about was getting a ZR1. But now the reality sets in I have two good friends that have them and they are great cars sands one thing. It is diffecult to get parts or to even find people willing to work on them. If you can do it yourself or find someone I say go for it.

soggytaco said:
It is diffecult to get parts or to even find people willing to work on them. If you can do it yourself or find someone I say go for it.
It's actually not that hard to get parts. Some are fairly pricey, but that's not only true on the ZR-1. For the most part, the car is pretty bulletproof, and the parts that are prone to failure aren't hard to find.

I've also found this car is extremely easy to work on. The fact that I was able to pull the entire intake off myself says something about that (I'm not joe mechanic). And the rest of the car is typical C4. In fact, spark plugs are easier to change than on the L98, tail lamp bulbs are easier to change, and so on. Plus, there's a very friendly and helpful community of owners. I wouldn't let fear of parts/repairs keep you from owning one if that's the only worry.

I agree with Aurora. I have never, repeat never, done any engine work on any type of vehicle. Believe me, when I first started taking the LT5 apart I thought "what the he** am I doing??" But with the help of several owners via online advice, I successfully pulled the plenum to replace the coil packs and plug wires. I noticed a hole in a hose and as soon as I get it, I am very confident that I will get the plenum back on and not have any problems. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.

A ZR-1 is a unique beast, but, it isn't necessarily something you should be afraid of. Good luck in your search!!

Jim

My 2 cents . .

I think a well cared for 94/95 ZR-1 will be worth large change several years down the road not to mention the miles of smiles driving 1 of the beast!

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Don't over look the 90-93's

I feel there are a lot of people who over look the earlier ZR1's.
You can usually get a better deal on the older ones and many have low milage. Try to find one with maintainence records and/or original owner vehicles that have been taken care of. Sure these cars will need regular care, but no more than any other ZR1. Manuals are still available for the DIY's. Later cars have had minor changes, many which can be added(anti-vibration seal's, etc). And there a lot people online more than willing to help with FAQ's. :)

As an October '05 newbie I agree. In my search, the earlier years were relatively more plentiful and therefore more reasonably priced. I got my '91 w/ 22,000 miles (and with the late onset of winter weather I effortlessly added 2000 miles more before she went to sleep after Thanksgiving). I had mine dynoed and it is pulling 350 hp to the rear wheels with very modest engine mods (by prior owner) and is quite challenging to keep away from extra-legal speeds on public roads. Slightly off topic on this icy day, when she awakes from her slumber we will need to cross paths with that nice supernatural from central mass.

ZR-1 AGING

HI GUYS! I HAVE ONE OF THE 92 TURQUOISE ZR-1'S BUILT IN SEPT 0F 90 AS A 91 MODEL. IT HAS BEEN A DAILY DRIVER, ACTUALLY, AND FOR SEVERAL REASONS. IT IS STILL BEAUTIFUL, AND STILL BURNS THE 335-35X17 TIRES EASILY. IT HAS 225,000 MILES ON IT! A BORLA EXHAUST WAS INSTALLED YEARS AGO. THE ONLY PROBLEMS I HAD WAS THE THROW OUT BEARING COLLAR BROKE, AND THE USUAL SPARK PLUG WIRES. AT 150,000 MILES I REPLACED THE WATER PUMP, IDLER, AND ALTERNATOR. I DID HAVE TO REPLACE THE ENTIRE COOLING SYSTEM I.E. RADIATOR, AND HEATER CORE BECAUSE OF ELECTROLYSIS, BUT OTHER THAN THAT THE VALVE COVERS HAVE NOT BEEN OFF. ACTUALLY, THE Z06 GUYS ARE JEALOUS OF THE VISUAL APPEAL OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. THOSE PLASTIC COVERS JUST LOOK LIKE PLASTIC. ALSO. FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE BRAKES, CHECK OUT THIS WEBSITE. IT IS POWERBRAKESONLINE.COM

Bob, any chance of posting pics of your Turquoise 91? I’ve never seen a Turq Z in person. You’ve obviously enjoyed the KOTH with the mileage your showing. It’d be great to see how your Z has “aged” with 225,000 miles on the odo.

B17Crew
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom