Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR-1 Long-Term Value (LPE)

B17Crew

Corvette
96 LT4 Polo Green/Light Beige Interior
Do you feel a ZR-1 modified by Lingenfelter will add or detract from a ZR-1s value in the long-term? If/when ZR-1 values rise, will a aftermarket tuners like Lingenfelter, Mallet, Doug Rippe, detract from a Zs value? There was Yenko and Motion in the 60’s-70’s, but that was a totally different era.

I know this is a car you should probably buy to enjoy, and not get caught up in the investment angel, but I think one day, the ZR-1 will be very nice collectable to have in the long-term, say 10-15 years.

Here is a link to the ZR-1 I am referring to.
http://www.rogerscorvette.com/car.php?CarID=1951

Thank you for your opionions,
B17Crew
:w

With the quantity of super low mileage 1990's out there, I'd guess if the market really fires up for these cars it will be the original ones that have the most value. But that's probably when they are like 30-40 years old. If a performance interest fires up, like if they re-introduced the RPO, then I'd guess ones that are modified reputably might kick up in value.

I think generally speaking people pay more for a car that hasn't been enjoyed. But with how cheap they are now, and how much fun they are, the enjoyment is definitely worth the cost!!

Thanks Aurora,

This is one I am on the fence about...
Lingenfelter has such a good/reliable reputation and had offered a warranty along with the work that it seems like a car that would do well resale value wise (down the road). With all of the documentation that goes with the car and Lingenfelters track record in the Corvette community, it sees like a plus for this car.

You brought up good points though, that’s the first thing that goes through my mind when looking at the modified Zs on the market, “how hard has it been run and how often has it kissed the redline?” I know the ZR-1 engine is well built, but I wouldn’t want to pay for a rebuild a year after purchasing one.

B17Crew

I have to agree with Aurora on the resale value of ZR1's. Someday maybe 10 years from now low mileage, pristine, unaltered cars will be the only ones bringing the big bucks. That Lingenfelter car that Rogers Corvettes has I believe is a great buy. All those mods professionally done, in that condition for that price are a steal. If you look at the car , drive it, listen to it, and it passes everything, how can you go wrong? Any car driven irresponsibily [7200 rpm constantly between gears would need a rebuild sooner or later LT5 or not]. If its good when you buy it and you don't abuse the sh-- out of it, it would be a great car for a good price for a long time. 90 ZR1 red and grey 9400 miles, some mods but not enough yet.

If I do take the ZR-1 plunge, I plan on holding onto the car for quite some time, it’d be a waxer for me, something that I’m interested in preserving.

Your comments and Auroras are shoring up my thoughts. A unaltered Z is probably the best way to go, at least in my case.

I came across a low mile Z (on the internet) with 1,200 miles on the clock for about $29,000. Didn’t have the original tires though, owner replaced them because of dry-rot. Slightly cheaper than the Rogers car and unmodified for the most part.

Thank you for your opinion!

B17Crew

I didn't mean the car would have been beat on, I mean buy that car to enjoy it. It seems like a lot of car for the money. The Lingenfelter package if done new is $14,000. That car has 11k on it and is $30k. A steal if that's what you want.

But if you want a waxer and a collectible, I'd say look for a stock car. And maybe not a red one.

You might find that the ones hardly driven at all have more engine problems than the ones driven hard, though. Not things like putting a rod through the block, but bad injectors, leaking secondary vacuum hoses, etc... Like 902066 says, drive the thing. See if another local owner will look at it with you. If it pulls hard and drives well, what more can you ask for? :beer

And you can find original tires if that's what you want. I've still got my original fronts, though the rears were discarded by a previous owner. They are out there if you are patient.

$14,000 for the Lingenfelter package is about what I was figuring, they do good work, but you pay for it.

I think I want to stay with a stock Z, I would consider red, but I was hoping to get something a little different, something that is not a dark color this time around. The majority of the Zs I see up for sale at this time are red or black.

B17Crew

I think the LPE will add value, but I also believe all well maintained/low mileage ZR-1's will be of great value quite aways down the road.

I think ya need to buy 1! :upthumbs

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

B17Crew said:
Do you feel a ZR-1 modified by Lingenfelter will add or detract from a ZR-1s value in the long-term? If/when ZR-1 values rise, will a aftermarket tuners like Lingenfelter, Mallet, Doug Rippe, detract from a Zs value? There was Yenko and Motion in the 60’s-70’s, but that was a totally different era.

I know this is a car you should probably buy to enjoy, and not get caught up in the investment angel, but I think one day, the ZR-1 will be very nice collectable to have in the long-term, say 10-15 years.

Here is a link to the ZR-1 I am referring to.
http://www.rogerscorvette.com/car.php?CarID=1951

Thank you for your opionions,
B17Crew

Lingenfelter could be synonomos with Baldwin-Motion or Greenwood someday. Some modified cars do have extra value but not many.

Koop said:
Lingenfelter could be synonomos with Baldwin-Motion or Greenwood someday. Some modified cars do have extra value but not many.
Of course it's all guessing, but I'd think the safest modified ZR-1 buy in terms of future collectibility might be the Callaway SuperNaturals. Mainly just because Callaway already had a factory tie-in with the C4, so that might extend a bit to the ZR-1.

But I'd still think mint with a couple of miles would be the best collector when they are like 30-40 years old. But I have no idea, and am just guessing.

6 Shooter said:
I think the LPE will add value, but I also believe all well maintained/low mileage ZR-1's will be of great value quite aways down the road.

I think ya need to buy 1! :upthumbs

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Thanks 6 Shooter,
I’m pretty sure I want a unmodified car, there is something about a well kept original example that draws me that way instead of a modified ZR-1.

I will get to see a red ’91 once it comes in at a local dealer in the next few weeks. Still wanting a unique color though.

B17Crew
:W

Koop said:

That’s the thing, I could see a Lingenfelter prepared car hold its value pretty well down the road! Baldwin-Motion is an excellent example. I wish I had a crystal ball to know for sure.

I plan on long-term hold if I do do it, that’s why I have a concern for long-term value.

B17Crew

Aurora40 said:
Of course it's all guessing, but I'd think the safest modified ZR-1 buy in terms of future collectibility might be the Callaway SuperNaturals. Mainly just because Callaway already had a factory tie-in with the C4, so that might extend a bit to the ZR-1.

But I'd still think mint with a couple of miles would be the best collector when they are like 30-40 years old. But I have no idea, and am just guessing.

The B2K option is one to have. I don’t see those going anywhere but up. I feel the Callaways are already a collector car and if you have one, you sure are lucky.

I plan on looking at as many Zs in the coming months as I can. A local dealer will be getting a ’91 in in several weeks. I assume it’s in good condition, it has around 20,000 miles on it. I still want a “off” color car, this ’91 is red, but I will definitely take a look at it to start gauging condition and price.

B17Crew

It will probably lower the value to most people....me, i'd pay a bit more for a big inch LPE car. LPE top end cars, I'd pay less

90 Corvette ZR-1 said:
It will probably lower the value to most people....me, i'd pay a bit more for a big inch LPE car. LPE top end cars, I'd pay less

Thanks 90 Corvette ZR-1,
I’ve been looking at ZR-1s on the internet a lot lately. I’m surprised at the number of ’90 ZR-1s for sale that have very low mileage and are unmodified.

It seems that when I find Zs that were produced after 1990, owners seemed to modify them more frequently than first year Zs.

It seems like many 1990 ZR-1 owners put their Zs into long slumbers. That’s ok, that has made buying a “new” ZR-1 in 2006 a possibility.

B17Crew

ZR-1 In my opinion will never bring big money !

The only one that may bring something is the last model year's with the higher hp. After that it's nothing special when you put it up against a C5 Z-06 and l didn't even mention the C-6 Z-06.

While l love the C4 body (91 plus) the only model that is going to be worth anything is the GS.

The 96CE is only a glorified C4 ant there were too many sold,

In my opinion you would be better off driving it and enjoying it because in the end unless you are going to make a casket out of it and if you realize any kind of money you will be too old to enjoy the money anyway. The ZR-1 will move up but the question is when. I would rather have put 75,000 miles on it then to have a garage queen so that somebody else will buy to drive.

alan

kingman said:
The only one that may bring something is the last model year's with the higher hp. After that it's nothing special when you put it up against a C5 Z-06 and l didn't even mention the C-6 Z-06.
Wow... Well of course you can have your own opinion, and no problem with voicing it.

But look at the 1990 ZR-1. Look at the performance it offered at the time. What other cars were there that were faster in 1990? What cars made more than 375hp? What were even close? Let alone for the price, or for the fuel usage.

Look at the ZR-1 compared to the 1990 Corvette. It made 50% more horsepower, and had equivalent fuel economy. The C6 Z06 by comparison makes 25% more power, and gets 2mpg less city/highway. In fact, fuel economy is interesting between them, the Z06 gets the same city economy and 1mpg better on the highway, in spite of 16 years of development separating them, and less weight to pull around.

The C5 Z06 is 11 years newer, and the C6 Z06 is 16 years newer. So I would hope that they are better than the ZR-1. I'm sure whatever comes next will pale those cars in comparison. Heck, a 1990 regular Corvette is probably better than any Corvette from 1953 to 1983 in just about any measurable category. However, that doesn't make the previous ones any less desirable or collectible.

Look at the car for the time period it was concieved in. The ZR-1 might have been the most ambitious Corvette ever produced. To say it's nothing special because it has finally been bettered by newer Corvettes doesn't really do justice to what it represented when new. :)

You are correct !!!!!!!!!!!!

But as a historical vette once you go beyond 1967 in my opinion it was only a vette.

The Zr-1 for sure was a milestone and a major one to boot. Look at all the money that was paid for one, not that the money spent on a ZR-1 meant instant stardom. It was a machine, and the more l think about it you are 100% correct and l was wrong.

But besides the ZR-1 the GS was the only other C4 worth while and then any LT-4. The CE was a joke played by GM on the vette buyer. The same as the 2003 AE another joke they sold almost 11,000 copies, so how special it that.

I have a neighbor who has a 03 AE vert and it's awesome but it's wasting away in his garage. When he is ready to sell it l will find a nice home for it real cheap with an owner that will drive it.

Alan

Well said Aurora40. The C5 Z06 and current C6 Z06 only got were they are because of what was learned on the ZR1 and previous vette's. If the ZR1 would have been available as a 427 CID engine, the Z06's would still be trying to de-throne the King. As far as what a ZR1 will be worth depends on what some one is willing to pay to have that car, the same for any collectable. Who knew all those muscle cars that were neglected duing the 70's gas shortages would be worth what they are selling for today. 1) Buy it because you like it or can afford to and enjoy it while you can. The ZR1's were a milestone in the continuing development of America's first sports car.
Nuff Said"

These are some great responses, I respect all of your opinions and have enjoyed reading the commentary.

There were a total of three engine options ever offered during the C4 production run that required additional cash outlay from the buyer. B2K, LT4 and LT5. All other engines were standard and produced in rather large volumes. Are LT4s and LT5s rare? My humble opinion is no, rare to me in the Corvette world is two ZL-1s, the runs of L-88s, etc. B2Ks are harder to come by, when you start talking about the Speedster, then you are getting into the definition of rare. Rare gets bandied about too frequently these days.

Speculation here... I would think that because there were so few alternate engine options during the 13 year C4 run, the optional engine equipped cars would fare better than a standard engine car. Not that it will make you rich or outperform a 401K, but I think these three will be hold their value a little better down the road. I think that the ’67 Big Block pricing that we see today will not be duplicated by cars like the LT4 and LT5, at least in my life time. I think they will hold their own but their pricing will not shoot up into the stratosphere like their predecessors.

B17Crew

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom