Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR-1 Long-Term Value (LPE)

Used specialty cars are hitting new highs!!

If you watch Barrett-Jackson you can actually walk away shaking your head.
I have seen 60's and 70's American cars going for prices that would blow your mind. 90% of them l wouldn't even want in my garage at any price, but at the auction you get sucked in and see cars redone to such high standards that makes you change your mind. Now these cars are not for driving but to only look at. They are going to wind up in private collections, museums and dealers selling floor as a draw.

Almost all of the vettes were redone to such a high standard that far exceeded what they were like coming out of the factory. The few survivors were awesome but not as nice as the restored ones. And l would love one of the restored ones before a survivor any day of the week for sure.

Alan

Soprano's is starting must run.

The ZR-1 will bring money one day. There were a relatively small number of them produced and they have quite a few one offs that only the ZR-1 has. Will it be soon? No, not really. I hope that the price keeps drooping till I get out of grad school and can afford another one.

List of C4's that will be valuable:
B2K
ZR-1
GS
Challenge cars

There maybe one or two I may have forgotten but not many.

When this question comes up in conversation I always point out the LT5 was not put in anything but a ZR1 not a truck, not a Camaro or Firebird. How many of the Corvettes out can say the same.

JimVette said:
When this question comes up in conversation I always point out the LT5 was not put in anything but a ZR1 not a truck, not a Camaro or Firebird. How many of the Corvettes out can say the same.

That’s a good point... the LT5 never made it’s way into another car.

JimVette can you tell me how you like your ’92... ever any issues with the 92. Is your car stock and if so, have you run it through the 1/4 and what were your results?

Saw a beautiful ’92 red Z on the ZR1net... it was this months featured car.

http://zr1netregistry.com/

http://zr1netregistry.com/mycar001.jpg

B17Crew
:w

Mercury Marine built the engine ???

Is it possible that the engine found it's way into a boat??

Just a thought??

Alan

JimVette said:
That's a neat point to ponder. Even the ZL1 made it into a single factory Camaro. I'm assuming the LT1 of the 70's also probably made it's way into an F-body. Were there L-88 and L-71 in any F-bodies? (slightly off the topic of the thread)

I have not had any major issues with my ZR1 yet. The only problems I had were oil cooler hose leaking and a front brake hose collapse. I have had it for 6 years. No! I have not had it on the 1/4 track. The only mods I've done were the K&N filter, Corsa exaust, Coplan, and relocated MAT sensor.

JimVette said:
I have not had any major issues with my ZR1 yet. The only problems I had were oil cooler hose leaking and a front brake hose collapse. I have had it for 6 years. No! I have not had it on the 1/4 track. The only mods I've done were the K&N filter, Corsa exaust, Coplan, and relocated MAT sensor.

Thanks JimVette! :upthumbs

B17Crew

I also think long term value of ZR-1's will be interesting. Evolution 1980 that ZL-1 motor made it into more than 1 Camaro if you do your research. Also because it was mentioned you won't find the B-2K motor anywhere besides the C-4. :upthumbs At this point any idea of future value is pure speculation. I vote to buy the one you want and then enjoy!!

C-4 Now said:
I :upthumbs At this point any idea of future value is pure speculation. I vote to buy the one you want and then enjoy!!
Ditto!

kingman said:
Is it possible that the engine found it's way into a boat??

Just a thought??

Alan

a derivative of the motor may have, in fact I am almost positive that MM did use the LT5 platform, but not the actual LT5

Most marine inboard/outboard engines came from cars

I am also sure that they used it but used it another a different number or called it something else. Gm used up all of the engines and under Federal law they had to keep some in inventory.

Alan

the thing is, automotive and marine motors are not the same. So while there maybe a 4 cam boat motor made by MM, it could not be used in a car.

don't worry about sum stinkin value!!!!

You guys jus make me :mad over money? Drive the damn thing. At the time I just was a little shy of snatching a Z,so I got a LT1 94. I beat paula like she stole from my moma!!!!:L and you guy's cry about value.I've never seen a brinks truck in a funeral!!!I'm looking 4 my Z and when I cop you can find me at the track:lou

No one is promised 2marrow!!!

Wit that said my LT5 will see 7k as soon as the oil is up to temp!!! 1st/2nd/3rd.When I check out I'm gonna be able to say I had a riot!!!:gap

It’s all good...

There will always be Corvette enthusiasts who park their rides for preservation, as there will always be Corvette enthusiasts who either mod their Vettes for more performance, or the person who uses their Vette as a daily driver.

There’s a Corvette out there for everyone’s interest.

B17Crew

Mercuiser did prepare LT5's for marine use, I saw a Scarab with a couple of them in it.

I'm sure that Merc used what they learned while building the LT5 to make a marine motor, but no, they are not the same

B17 - When the dealer you mentioned gets that ZR-1 in, let me know. I would like to come and take a look at it.

Buying one as an investment, well, that's a great idea if you can do it. The truth is, no one knows what the market will do, but in all likelyhood, any year low mileage ZR-1 will always bring more that a "driver" like mine. I'm okay with that, I bought it to enjoy. You have another vette to fall back on and drive and can get the Z out a couple times of year. That will be awesome. Hey, what's always better than one vette? Two vettes! :D

I'm still up for the weekend meet in May!

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom