Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZZ383 in an 1980?

zackm58941

Corvette
1980 Corvette
Hi, I'm looking into doing an engine swap for my 1980 corvette vs. building up the stock L-48. I came across GM's ZZ383 but I'm not sure how the rest of the drive train will hold up to it. I have the stock 4 speed manual in the car and everything else is stock so my question is will this engine just destroy everything? Upgrading the clutch assembly is probably a must here. I dont plan on racing this thing (maybe an ocasional 1/4 pass) but mearly wanting an awesome pavement pounder! Let me know your thoughts about this engine and any other possible choices that might be in the same catigory as this one. I also have been looking at the 385 fast burn. Oh, one more thing. What kinda 1/4 times would my car run, just ballpark numbers if anyone wants to take a few shots. Thanks!!!

Zack

http://www.paceparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=73193

Hard To Say

Hey Zack, the questions that you ask are tough to answer. Probably the reason for the lack of replies. All I can tell you about is my situation. You will see the mods I have made to the '74 at the bottom of this post. I am running 417 hp and 406 ft lbs of torque. I am still running the original tranny and rear end. I drive my cars HARD. I do feel that both the tranny and rear end need to be gone through. Probably for the fact that they are 30 years old. Just had my U-joints checked and they are fine. Remember this is just my experience. They could blow the next time out. peace Bud

IMO, if you have 5K to toss at teh engine, then you should have some cash to toss at anything that breaks, so imho, toss the motor in, drive it like you like to drive it, and when something breaks, upgrade it. I hear you can get a keisler 5 speed OD that will handle 500-600+ horses for 3k. So long as you don't have slicks, you should just burn up tires before you burn up the tranny and differtial.

just reading the link's specs on this motor....in one part it says its 9.7-1 compression and a few inchs down it changes to 9.1-1 huh???

You might want to look at a Groom's Engines Remanufactured 383 Performance Plus engine. I got their 355 Performance Plus and my '77 keeps up nicely with a C5 at those light-to-light encounters. Now that I got used to additional power, I wish I had put in the 383.

After 2 years and 20k miles; it burns tires, not oil...

For the price difference, you could totally rebuild your whole drive train and suspension.

http://groomsengines.com/groomsperf.html

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom