Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZZ4 or custom 383

kridgley

Corvette
1975 Corvette, White T-Top
Hey all, I was looking into revamping the engine in my vette this coming winter - looking at funds and etc available now. Would it be cheaper to get the crate ZZ4 from GM and drop that into the vette, or get an old 350 from the yard and make a stroker out of it. Im shooting for the ballpark of about 400 ft.lbs and about 350-375 hp. What would you all recommend?

Kevin

well, if you build a stroker you should be at around 400hp or more depending on heads, manifold, exhaust systems, and tons of torque. To me, the key here is the huge torque you can get out of a stroker. Torque, rather than just HP is what's key to a good street motor.
As an example, a crate ZZ383 stroker motor is usually around 425hp and 460 ft/lbs torque. I like that! :D drop down about 15hp or so because they usually come with a single plane manifold and a dual plane would be better for a street motor - better low end torque and drivability.
As for pricing, your best bet would be to check at a good engine builder to see what they would charge you to build up a motor compared to the price of a crate motor. It's probably about the same or maybe a little less to purchase a crate motor anymore but I really don't know what the cost to have one custom built is currently.

one thing to keep in mind when dropping in a much higher performance motor is the weaknesses that you will find on the rest of the drivetrain. I don't know what componets are stock in a '75, but you will want to be sure your yokes, driveshaft, and halfshafts can handle the extra power - especially if you go to a wider and stickier rear tire. If these let go they tend to do so in a fairly "exciting" way and I don't think you would enjoy having a halfshaft come flying up through the floorpan at you while you are driving...........

I just replaced my old motor with a 330 hp gm crate engine with vortec heads for the price it is very good about 380 ft lbs. It really depends on you skill set if you are going to do most of the build your self It is about the same cost once you facor in all the machine work and in the end you only have an engine with out a warantee. If you go the 383 route I have and 383 crank and carne cam that cam out of my old engine (cracked the block because it was bored). and I have some world products heads and roller rockers. head have 1.96 and 1.5 intake exaust and they are 76 cc cumbustion chamber. just shoot me and email if you want any of them.

Thanks

Drew
socor7@hotmail.com

BarryK, i see you live in Newark, I am attending UD there - I am from Dover. Is there a good machine shop in Newark, or close by that you would trust to build a reliable engine? The only one I'm familair with is down in Dover, but if there's a good one in Newark then its all the better.

Kevin

Kevin

I don't know to be honest.
I just got my car last year and have not needed machining work on it........yet.
If you look in the yellow pages there are a few shops in Newark and Wilmington but I don't know anything about them to recommend them or not. Sorry.

zz4

Buy it stick it in and go. They make plenty of power compared to the stock motor that came in the car. You should be more than happy. 383s aren't all that practical for daily use. I've had several but never in anything that I drive regularly. Have a zz4 on my airboat with a gear reduction and open headers and it has plenty of power and sounds like thunder.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom