Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Modifications

To what extent will you/do you modify your Shark?

• None (stock, #s matching)

Votes: 46 17.5%
  • Appearance (paint, wheels, etc.)

Votes: 22 8.4%
  • Mild performance (add-ons, under 100 hp gain)

Votes: 68 25.9%
  • Average performance (high performance components: engine, tranny, etc.)

Votes: 84 31.9%
  • Nothing is stock

Votes: 43 16.3%

• Total voters
I modified my car even more since my last post in this thread...current state, 99.9999% modified :) :D

quick remove rear clip
rearclip1.jpg

fuel cell, rear roll cage (passenger area section not welded in yet)
rearclip8.jpg

rearclip9.jpg

rearclip10.jpg

rear clip back on

rearclip11.jpg

top shot:
top1.jpg

I love what you have done to your Vette. Not quite going the "sleeper" stock look are you? ;LOLI am also looking into an ATL fuel cell for my ride.

Wonderful work! Especially with the shipping headaches although you certainly have those figured out.

Not quite stock

Hi all, I haven't been around here for a while but I wanted to share the progress I have made on my Vette.

Custom round tube frame from http://www.sriiimotorsports.com with C5 front coil over suspension and C4 coil over suspension.

ANugentchassisatshow.jpg

Wilwood superlight 6 brakes in front and superlight 4 rear with a custom parking brake

DSC00160.jpg

Another shot of the rear brakes showing the parking brake. No drums here!

DSC00161.jpg

I have an all aluminum 572cu in (thats 9liters) Bill Mitchell World Products Merlin III engine, dyno'd at 705HP (525Kw) and 726ft-lb (984.3nm) torque, at the flywheel, I think I got the metric conversions correct. The transmission is a Tremec TKO600 specially built to handle 800+ HP. There is also a Centerforce hydraulic clutch with an aluminum flywheel.

68AluminiumBBsilverchassis3.jpg

and its not fuel injected... ;)

DSC00169.jpg

And of course all this start off because my rear view mirror was loose.;LOL;LOL

Pulling the body off the rotted out frame.

DSC00093.jpg

And now the body is on a dolly and I am stripping the paint off in preparation to do the body work. Note: if you are sanding fiberglas, wear a mask and also a tyvec suit to keep the dust from getting into your pores. Don't ask me why I know this.

body_on_dolly_1.jpg

And of course the garage is NEVER big enough.

SINCE MY VETTE IS NOT NUMBERS MATCHING, I GUESS ITS EASIER TO MAKE MODIFICATIONS. I MODIFY ANYTHING TO DO WITH PERFORMANCE. ENGINE, DRIVETRAIN, SUSPENSION, BRAKES, TIRES. I HAVE NEVER BEEN INTO CUSTOMIZING SO I WOULDN'T TOUCH THE BODY. I BOUGHT IT BECAUSE I LIKE THE WAY IT LOOKS.

These poll results speak large volumes, but the surprising general outcome of this poll is how close are the NCRS fellas and the full modification folks.

None (stock, #s matching)
bar2-l.gif
bar2.gif
bar2-r.gif
4716.73%Appearance (paint, wheels, etc.)
bar3-l.gif
bar3.gif
bar3-r.gif
217.47%Mild performance (add-ons, under 100 hp gain)
bar4-l.gif
bar4.gif
bar4-r.gif
7325.98%Average performance (high performance components: engine, tranny, etc.)
bar5-l.gif
bar5.gif
bar5-r.gif
9734.52%Nothing is stock
bar6-l.gif
bar6.gif
bar6-r.gif
4315.30%

And nearly 60% of the middle of the road people are happy with reasonable performance improvements.

Is there a CAC member that crunches numbers for a living? Perhaps you could reveal whatever other interesting things are these numbers telling us.;)

Anything I do to my '81 will be able to return to stock :cool. If I'm going to do anything out of stock, I'll buy another vette and fix that one up :W

Hi all, my 81 is slightly modified:

Custom Leather on the Seats
Modern radio so the gage bezel is a new one and the old goes into the "Stock" box.
Custom speakers - oh heck, let's just say a customized interior with all original parts saved.
Custom exterior paint - was a dark blue metallic, now it's Sivler/gray metallic.
Custom exhaust system - all new from the exhaust headers back.
I replaced the 81 tail lights with 75 model year lights (they have the chrome trim rings).
Replaced the 81 black oulined emblems - front and back with the 80 chrome outlined emblems.
Custom center hub spinners on the wheels.

So all this can be un-done - and mostly all I've done is cometic. The L81 engine runs just fine for cruising and my gas mileage isn't bad either :)

Here is what she looks like:

1981_Corvette014.jpg

1981_Corvette023.jpg

1981_Corvette019-1.jpg

1981_Corvette011A.jpg

81_10.jpg

81_1.jpg

Now that is one fine '81!

i got...
bout 400hp - stock 350 block and rotating assembly
-edelbrock performer top end kit
- 202 performer heads
- aluminum water pump
- high voltage alternator
-all emissions equipment removed
-hooker sidepipes
- taylor "409" ignition wires
- roller timing chain
- extra trans cooler
- greasable u-joints (both halfshafts and driveshaft)
- P275-70-R15 rear tires
- 50,000 volt distributer
- rebuilt 800cfm quadrajet carb
- 700r4 transmission
- oversize clutches
- 2800 stall
- transgo shift kit
- an extra 1-2 clutch
-5 inch cowl hood
- custom "pace car" paint
i love it...its never been run down a drag strip, it probally never will, but its a fun car, a good interstate cruiser...and one he** of a stop light launcher!

Not much stock on my car anymore...the L-82 is gone for a roller cammed aluminum head 350.. the 4 speed is gone for a TKO.. the wheels are gone for 17's - the rear bumper got changed out for a ZR-1 look - new non-corvette paint - after market gauges...

Yeah not too worried about stock

None of the poll options really fit for me. I'll modify anything I have to in order to make it run and look it's best. I don't care about keeping it original. I already replaced the motor with a GM Crate Motor. It needs to be repainted, and I'm going to keep it the same "Corvette Red" color only because I like it best, not because it is original.

Ron,

Do you live in Mechanicsburg? I live in Carlisle, PA just up the road from you. Do you have nay more picture of your car? I looks really nice, did you take off the crossfire?

None of the poll options really fit for me.

Me either. After having the front end "done" in 1974, I returning it to stock (hopefully soon:eyerole)and a repaint. I have received last week the PM front surround and am waiting for the fenders. I do have 3" half shafts, VBP rotors, tie rod sleeves and heym rear camber adjusters, but other than that it's original. About 90K original miles and the heads have never been off. Looking forward to when this front end job is done:w

Personalized Stock

SLEEPER . Looks stock enough, minor cosmetic changes that only a true buff can pick out. ie My rocker panels & Grill (side & Front)are Darl Brown color matched to the stock decals. Also the Stock rims where refinished in the dupont Paint code matching the Center Caps. I never understood why GM made then diferent colors. (i think they were going for the Spectrum Effect used on the CE Door Panels).

But lets face it 200hp on a car this size & weight:ugh

I wanted a C3 with all the Power toys (Brakes/Steering/windows/seats/AC)

But had to do something about the lack of power.

Lots of small upgrades, chrome & powdercoating and I'm up over 300hp.

While keeping the crosfire which I believe is part of the character of the car.

That's My Thing!!!!

But,To each his own, That's what makes the car hobby fun.

Keep the faith, Save the wave.:thumb

I voted for nothing is stock.

The engine has been swapped out previously for a different 350, its got headers, and a different carb/intake.

I don't care to make it perform any better or anything so its going to stay as is drivetrain-wise. I am completely redoing the interior though with LED gauges and the works. I would like to get some seats out of a late model corvette, but I doubt that will happen. The seats are not going to be stock though.

Well since I got a 80 with interior non existing save for wires. Stock L48 with weiand intake and hooker header/sidepipes I think it's safe to say it won't be stock. But for 1500 bucks? Oh yeah and it's a 4 speed black on black leather.
Plans, put it together with offset aftermarket wheels and L88 hood. Maybe a what if 1980 smallblock Baldwin Motion.

Well since i have a #s matching with a salvage title
the skies the limit,actually my wallet will be the limit:L

I would like to keep the outside looking stock (sleeper), while upgrading everything else.

so far, my change list is
3.54 gears (just finishing up)
VBP strut rods
flex a lite fan
rpm air gap
road demon
headers and exaust

want list
steeroids
frame
ENGINE
6 speed
I am thinking about an RPM airgap but am told (by Summit and Edelbrock) it won't fit under my '73 hood. Is your hood height that different or did you do some modification to make it fit?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom