Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Drove the Edelbrock blower today...Whoa--it's one Blown Bat outa Hell

Hib Halverson

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
Corvette
71 04 12 19
I was at the Edelbrock Corporation in Torrance, California today to begin work on an article for "Corvette Enthusiast" magazine on the Edelbrock E-Force supercharger system for the LS3 in 08-10 C6es.

I started my visit at about 10:30 AM with Vic Edelbrock giving me a ride in his daily driver, an 08 LS3, NPP manual with his 1591 blower kit on it. The system increases the engine's power from 436-hp to a fraction under 600 hp. The acceleration in second and third gears was freakin' fearsome as Vic was hammer down south on Crenshaw Bl. next to the Mobil Oil refinery.

The real fun came that afternoon after lunch when Edelbrock's top blower engineer, Rob Simons, and I went for a test in the same car, this time, with me driving. We went to the same stretch of southbound Crenshaw next to Mobil Oil. With TCS off from a 10 mph roll in first gear, the car was immediately into wheelspin. I pedaled it a bit and just before the rev limiter caught second gear and burried the gas. The car stayed hooked and I took it to just short of the limiter then banged third and stayed on it until about 5000 rpm.

Damn, that bitch is freakin' awesome in a straight line. Next to sex, diriving an E-Force supercharged LS3 is the most fun you can have.:thumb

Not only does Edelbrock's new blower kit make a ton of power and torque but it does that with outstanding driveability, something that's absent with some of the other blower kits on the market. Doesn't matter how you drive it: stop-and-go in Southern California's world-infamous traffic congestion, lugging in sixth, part throttle high rpm in first, going for high mileage on the freeway at 55 mph...whatever. The Edelbrock people really have their calibration down pat. Callaway has the cal of their blowers done pretty well and I think Edelbrock's is incrementally even better.

The best news about this Edelbrock roots supercharger kit is that it's the only C6 blower package in the industry which fits under a stock hood. Both Magnuson's and Callaway's require a new hood and painting to match which, done right, runs an extra 1800-2200 bucks.

Compared to the Magunson kit, the Edelbrock may make a tiny bit more power, but it has no complicated jackshaft blower drive, the driveability is better, you don't have to buy an aftermarket hood and paint to match and, in my opinion, customer support is better.

Compared to the Callaway system, there's no complicated jackshaft drive and you don't need a different hood.

Be watching your newsstand this coming Winter for "Corvette Enthusiast's" feature story on the E-Force Corvette blower kit.

For now, If I owned a C6 LS3 and wanted a blower, no question, the Edelbrock 1591 kit is the way I'd go.:beer

50 state legal, correct?

Hib, do you recall which tires Vic had on his car? Also, were there any other driveline modifications? (ie. clutch,axles?)

The California Air Resources Board has not completed the paperwork (why am I not surprised it isn't done) but the certification testing is completed and the system passed so---yes, the 08-10 Corvette Supercharger kits will be 50-state legal.

The tires on Vic's car are the stock Goodyear EMTs.

The entire car, including the axles and clutch, is stock, ie: there were no other modifications other than the supercharger system.

Pretty impressive.:thumb

similar blower setup to the new ZR1 corvette for a lot less money.

similar blower setup to the new ZR1 corvette for a lot less money.

Uh well, I think that maybe oversimplifies the facts a bit.

The Supercharger on the LS9 is similar to the Edelbrock Supercharger package but to say it's similar for "a lot less money" is not really correct once you consider that a good part of the cost of the engine in the ZR1 is for parts in the LS9 other than the blower system, none of whch an Edelbrock supercharged LS3 would have.

Also, the Edelbrock blown LS3, depending on what fuel pump is installed (stock or Z06) is rated at either 544-hp standard-corrected or 599-hp standard-corrected whereas the LS9 is rated at 638-hp SAE-corrected. There's a significant difference in those rating systems. My guess is if an LS9 were tested the same way Edelbrock ran it's supercharged LS3 on an engine dyno and the results were standard- rather than SAE-corrected, it'd be up around 660-675-hp.

That said, it is true both the supercharger on the LS9 and the unit that Edelbrock sells are Roots blowers which use the Eaton TVS 2300 rotor set as their cores. They both have a front blower drive, they both use a bypass valve and they both have dual charge air coolers.

But there are some significant differences as well. The Edelbrock has much longer intake runners and fits under the base hood. The LS9 blower, has shorter runners and requires a special hood that is unique to the ZR-1. The LS9 blower has a torsional isolator, the Edelbrock does not. The LS9 blower has some restriction in the blower inlet due to how the front rotor shaft bearing is packaged. The Edelbrock blower does not have that restriction. The LS9 blower is taller than is the Edelbrock unit.

In fact, the pricing on the Edelbrock Supercharger may not make it the least expensive aftermarket Roots blower kit but, in my opinion, it's the best value because its superior calibration results in nicer driveability and that it doesn't require a hood change.

The OEM hood capability and being CARB legal will be strong selling points.

the lower HP kit is $6500 and the higher HP kit is $7000. a lot cheaper than buying a ZR1

My one question: What is the driveline warranty when you install this package ???

And does it have to be installed by an ASE certified technician for the warranty to be valid ?

Allthebest, c4c5

There is no driveline warranty. I'm not aware of any aftermarket supercharger system which also offers a driveline warranty.

Any Performance Numbers

Hib,
Did Vic happen to give you any 0-60 and quarter mile times for this setup? I've asked their tech people several times and they have no idea what they would be. Thanks.

Blown LS3's

...wasn't this setup, was it, Hib? Got this shot yesterday at the Father's Day Car Show in Hermitage, Pa. New Camaro with this blower setup.

Also, honestly, what is the increased stress on the stock engine that this system is installed on? If you hammer it all the time / track it, what's the life expectancy?

Nice writeup, Hib - thanks!! :thumb

When I saw this a few weeks ago, it made me want to get an LS3 C6 and then throw the Edelbrock on top of it. I saw a You Tube video on it and it looks very good. I even read the installation instructions and it looked quite complicated, probably not a DIY type of thing.:L

How much can the stock driveline in the LS3 C6's hold? If they can't hold the power long term, then wouldn't we have to factor in the cost of upgrading those items?

I think a DIY installation of an E-Force blower would not be overly complex but it would be time consuming. If you feel comfortable about changing an intake manifold or a cylinder head, then you could do the Edelbrock supercharger.

As for the durability of the C6 driveline, with a manual, I think one would want to consider a clutch upgrade at the same time the blowers installed. McLeod makes great clutch pieces for C5/C6.

As for manual or automatic transmissions and the rear axle, if the duty-cycle is performance street, with stock rear gears and stock tires, obviously there's potential for durability issues but, given upgraded lubricants and proper trans cooling, I don't think there would be a problem.

Now, if you mix the blower with other engine mods, shorter gears or a lot of drag racing, then durability issues are more likely.

Hib,
Did Vic happen to give you any 0-60 and quarter mile times for this setup? I've asked their tech people several times and they have no idea what they would be. Thanks.

My research for the Edelbrock supercharger article is just about done.

Unfortunately, Edelbrock has released no acceleration performance data and it was unable to allow us to test the car to acquire our own numbers.

Right now, the only data they have is chassis dyno numbers.

Hib - You are correct about the clutch. If I was putting on a blower, a beefier clutch would happen at the same time.

There is no driveline warranty. I'm not aware of any aftermarket supercharger system which also offers a driveline warranty.

Hib,
A 5 year / 100,000 mi warranty is mentioned in the ads from Edelbrock.
I couldn't find what it covers or the added cost. It did say it has to be performed by GM, an ASE Certified Technician, or by one of their authorized installers.
Is the coverage just for the supercharger, or does it cover some of the valve train components.
And, can stock LS3 pistons and rings withstand that kind of boost from a roots type blower?
thanks, chris

E-Force install

My son finished installing an Edelbrock E-Force (554HP) with Kooks Headers in my 2008 Convertible, Z51. We took it for a test drive and all I can say is wow.
willy_nilly.gif
Very Quick.

Installing the Edelbrock kit had some challenges.
ack2.gif
The instructions and organization of the parts are not perfect. We had to grind in two spots to ensure the install of the SC. One hose connection had to be modified as it did not fit the '08. The programming was simple although I took the time to update the latest file from Edelbrock website first.
The sound is great. The response is quick. I can break traction with a mild effort on the pedal. It screams when rolling from 25 to 70.

Took about 40 hours to install including headers and x-pipe. Had small problems. Time also includes - take your time and do it correctly, watching granddaughter, picking up grandson from school, going to get tools or things at other house among other time wasting. I would plan on taking more hours than you think, take your time and get it correct.

There are no tuners where I live. So no plans to tune until I get the SC paid off and purchase an HP Pro with a self study course.

The front end is lower by a little, not sure of which options to raise back up....perfrom opposite of lowering, change out shocks, new tires, lower all speed humps and/or get wife to pay for newer drive way
toetap05.gif

I have been planning on this purchase and install ever since I read Hib's article on the E-Force and read other's who have installed and looked at the u-tube video of Vic Edelbrock's red C6.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom