Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Revivification of a 1963 Split Window

It takes a lot of dedication to go this deep into restoring a birdcage. Too many would have just covered up the damage, made it look pretty and sold it. Thanks for posting this build here. I look forward watching this one progress.

Tom

I've done two like this and this will be the last. It's a labor of love for sure, but I just don't have it in me anymore. The amount of time, money, and space that is needed to fix a car with a rusty birdcage is just overwhelming.
I am sure there are more than a few out there with questionable repairs to their birdcages.

Update: 8/01/16

Last Friday I finished up most of the chassis, installed the flywheel, clutch, bell housing, and transmission and lowered the assembly into the chassis. However, I could not find the clutch arm and the machine shop kept the throw out bearing, so I will need to pull the transmission back out once I have them.

New Flywheel(the car did not come with one). I went with a 22 pd flywheel, which if i remember correctly is about 8 pounds less than the stock unit. I've used a lightweight 13 pound flywheel before, but did not like the feel, so I figured I would go with middle ground this time.

New LUK clutch kit. For more or less stock engine rebuilds, I like the Luk clutch kits since they provide a nice stock pedal feel.

Engine Drop

If you work by yourself a lot, a Gantry Crane is a must! It makes engines installation, body on or body off, so much easier! Not to mention it is great for loading and unloading items into the back of a truck or on trailers.

I would think that you are making great progress in pretty short time. Can't wait for the grand finale! Keep the pictures of the progress coming. :thumb

Re: 1967 Corvette Coupe Restomod Build Thread

I would think that you are making great progress in pretty short time. Can't wait for the grand finale! Keep the pictures of the progress coming. :thumb

I appreciate the comment, but this is actually the longest it has ever taken me to restore a chassis. However, this is my first time rebuilding a steering box as well as rear drum brakes, but still, that has not added that much time. I've only been working on it when I have a little bit of free time, so i guess that is why it has been so lengthy. I hope to have it officially finished by the end of this week and have the engine ready for first start. I can't wait to hear the gardner exhaust system! Their off road mufflers are supposed to be exact reproductions of the originals. I have tried allens and corvette centrals off road exhaust system, but they sound like crapola, especially the CC units.

Last edited:
I've heard that it is impossible to get that original factory sound with stainless. It just doesn't have the same properties as plain steel. I'll be interested in your take on the Gardners system.

Tom

Re: 1967 Corvette Coupe Restomod Build Thread

I've heard that it is impossible to get that original factory sound with stainless. It just doesn't have the same properties as plain steel. I'll be interested in your take on the Gardners system.

Tom

I've only used complete stainless systems on full restomods, never on any restorations or mildly upgraded c2s. This is an aluminized system as were the others i have tried. I have also tried Corvette Centrals Magnaflow mufflers, which come to think of it were stainless, and while they had the best sound out of all 3 mufflers at cruising speed, they did not sound good at idle...very flappy. It is all about the internal baffles and proper insulation.

After Blasting the original tie rods I noticed that they were pretty scarred up from wrenches being used to turn them, which is pretty typical, so I decided to replace them with a set of Van Steel heavy duty tie rod sleeves. The Van Steel units have a slot so they can be turned with a wrench for adjustment and use jamb nuts like modern cars instead of clamps to synch the sleeves.

I also bought a Composite spring to replace the heavy stock 9 leaf unit. I have a similar spring on my 59 Restomod and with the QA1 adjustable shocks, it rides like a dream! Since I upgraded the front suspension, I really felt it necessary to do the same with the rear.

That composite spring, just sitting there looks freaky, like it has a twist in it or something. :D looks fine in the picture where it is installed though. Keep it coming I'm loving it!

That composite spring, just sitting there looks freaky, like it has a twist in it or something. :D looks fine in the picture where it is installed though. Keep it coming I'm loving it!

It is a reproduction of the late C3 spring and they use a block of aluminum to fill the void in space at the differential mounting point. It is wide on the ends and narrow in the center and I believe that is why it looks like there is a twist in it in the photo.

My painter sprayed the base yesterday. I guess this means I need to hurry up and finish the remaining items on the chassis.

So, I'm assuming that it's going to be black? Looking good!

Oh man, paint. My '59 had paint once upon a time many years ago. Maybe someday it will again.

I finished the chassis for the most part last night and my painter and I installed the body today. She is almost fully resurrected from the dead!

There is no weight in the car and the suspension has not been adjusted, so the ass is high and the front is low currently.

Sweet! :thumb Loving the progress you are making.

It's a car again!! Nice.

Back home, I have a friend of close to 50 years. He owns a collision repair shop that his sons run now. He does restores and some of his work has been on the TV auctions. I sent him the link to this thread and he complimented you on the detailed high quality work..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom