Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1981 head light vacuum tank collapsed

corvette81

Corvette
1981 red; 2014 z51 crystal red
Hi this is my first thread so hopefully someone can clarify what has happened to my brand new vacuum tank. Just replaced all the vacuum components, hoses, actuators etc and today noticed the new vacuum tank has completely collapsed. I must admit the new tank is not as heavy duty as the original tank. Going to replace it with my old tank and see what happens. Old tank had a corrosion leak which I have since repaired. Was surprised that the engine could produce enough vacuum to completely destroy the tank. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Could just be that it's a weaker tank, but wouldn't have thought it would collapse. Do you have a vacuum gauge to check the vacuum? Where in auckland are you?

I'm in West Auckland. I found another thread and someone else had the exact same issue with their new can. I think its just a crapy unit. It's definitely a lighter construction compared to the original. They went through 3 replacement cans before purchasing a stronger non corvette replacement. I'm going to refit my old original and see what happens. Sounds like there is only one manufacturer of these reproduction cans. I would recommend no one buy them. I had to modify it to strengthen the three ports as they broke when I tried to fit the tubes.

Thanks for replying.

Welcome to CAC!!!
Enjoy!!! Unless you can find an OEM, I'm afraid you may be stuck with the after market.....🤔

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm in West Auckland. I found another thread and someone else had the exact same issue with their new can. I think its just a crapy unit. It's definitely a lighter construction compared to the original. They went through 3 replacement cans before purchasing a stronger non corvette replacement. I'm going to refit my old original and see what happens. Sounds like there is only one manufacturer of these reproduction cans. I would recommend no one buy them. I had to modify it to strengthen the three ports as they broke when I tried to fit the tubes.

Thanks for replying.

I'm north. But my brother is west. Thanks for the heads up about the can, I still have my original which has no leaks fortunately.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom