Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rattle and Hum!

milehigreg

Corvette
1989 Dark Red Coupe
Something is going out or has worked itself loose. I have a rattle at idle which turns into a pretty good vibration from about 1200 to 1800 rpm. Disappears above 1800. Car runs perfect. Sounds like one of the accessories when I lift the hood but a can't seem to isolate it. :confused Any suggestions? This is embarrassing at a stoplight.;)

Have someone sit in the driver's seat, at idle in gear with the brake pedal depressed, and check under the hood for the noise.

Also, check underneath for exhaust touching the body, etc.

I would be real suspect of the belt tensinor pulley.

Glenn
:w

My front Y pipe will vibrate against my X frame from about 1000 to 1800 RPM's while driving. It could be something on the exhaust rubbing underneath.

You might also want to park next to a garage or building to try to get some of the sound to bounce back. It might make listening a little easier.

Update and confirmation

I removed the serpentine belt last night and spun each of the accessories by hand. All are smooth with the exception of the water pump. When I grab the frisbie and give it a good spin - it makes a noise. :nono It spins pretty easily too. I am not leaking any coolant. Think it's bad? Have I been given a gift from the car gods ;worship and is it telling me it needs to be replaced instead of just giving up the ghost and stranding me somewhere? 84K on the odometer.

Can you move the waterpump shaft up or down at all ? It should be rock solid.

I spy a 70 Chevelle. Is there anything to tell about it?

Glenn

Can you move the waterpump shaft up or down at all ? It should be rock solid.

I spy a 70 Chevelle. Is there anything to tell about it?

Glenn

Glenn. The 70 Chevelle was sacrificed for the Vette. It was a 1970 Malibu convertible. 350 C.I, auto, buckets, A/C, PS, PB, power top. I bought it in 1994 and over the years I rebuilt the engine, replaced the transmission, did complete paint and body, did a headlight to taillight complete rewire, rebuilt the front end and complete interior. I was the second owner. The original owner lived at 4120 East Eastland Street, Tucson, AZ. when she bought it in 1970. I lived at 6021 East Eastland when I purcahsed it from her in 1994. It had 2.73 gears in the rear so it wasn't much of a performer but a great cruiser. When I bought it it was a compromise, I always wanted a Vette but at the time I had three small children. It was a "cool" car that would seat us all in a pinch. I love that photo because it shows both of my babies. Sold the Malibu to a guy in New Jersey sight unseen. The things I tackled on that car gave me the experience and confidence that I can handle anything on the Vette and I have done a few small projects on it. However, I was pretty tired of wrenching on the Malibu and so far have had to do nothing major on the Vette. A water pump R & R is in my immediate future. Finally, I always got compliments when I took the Malibu out. " Dude, nice car!:upthumbs " I get very little of that with the Vette but I really do like it much better.

I get a lot of "Nice Car" with my vette. Think it has something to do with it being a convertible. Just before I bought my vette , two yrs ago, I had a chance to buy a 69 malibu, california car , hardtop, 350 auto,factory air, power steering and power disk brakes for $2000. It needed body work but almost now rust , interior was not bad either. I decided to pass on that and go for the vette so I could drive it right away. I have always repaired my cars myself and I just wasn't in the mood to redo a complete car. No regrets.
nothing like being able to hop in the vette and go for a drive to go nowhere.

Glenn

Car Gods

The car Gods were in fact smiling on me. This weekend I put the serpentine belt back on and fired it up to move it out of the garage and around to the front of the house. In just that short distance, the suspect water pump started leaking. Thank the car gods!;worship Already have everything off the front of the engine except the pump itself:_rock . Awaiting arrival of the new one.

Water Pump Done

Finished installing the water pump last night. Not a very difficult project. The rattle and hum is no more! :D The job got a little longer because I took the oppportunity to clean everything I could now get to with all the stuff off of the front of the engine. Wasn't able to replace the transmission cooler lines. I see no way to remove the connections at the transmission without dropping the transmission and I wasn't up for that too. Anybody have a trick to removing the lines without dropping the TH700R?:confused

P.S.

New GM ACDelco water pump from the parsladi on ebay. I called Burt Chevrolet here in Denver and they said I got it for less than they pay for it. :upthumbs Also replaced the lower radiator hose. I am curious though. :confused The water pump looks no different than a standard SBC water pump. Does anyone know if it is any different or do we just pay Vette price for it? I am curious enough to buy a cheap one from Auto Zone so O can take it and the one I removed apart to compare internals.:v

Water Pumps

Yes, you will pay Vette prices for what looks like the same ole' Chevy parts. No, I don't buy any parts from Autozone, it's all junk, bought a waterpump for my 93 taurus, it looked good, fell apart as soon as I started the car,fan hub pressed onto shaft improperly and there were others. I buy only cleaning products and brand name oil/filters from them, too many boo-boo's for me. Just my 2 cents.

Greg, man you were lucky. Glad you got it all back together and running again. About time for a Fall "color run"?

Color Run it is!

About time for a Fall "color run"?

Went up this Saturday for a shakedown color run. 285 through Fairplay then over Hoosier Pass to Breckenridge. 190 miles through the mountains. 26 MPG :v :J Will start a thread with some photos tonight. Need to get my son to assist with the photos.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom