Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

automatic temp control problem......

D

designeraccd

Last night we took our newly purchased 2002 coupe (33k miles) out and as it was lo 50s turned-or tried to-the heater on for the first time. I assume from looking at the controls and the "explanation" of use in the owners manual that the small "black" window should light up with a display, for example a temp. setting. NOTHING is visible in that window. Also there is no position indicator line on the driver's side temp control knob so I can't tell what I'm "aiming" at from that either. Am I missing something or is something amiss?

I sort of got luke warm air to blow, windows up. BTW when I tried the a/c b4 buying the car I rapidly got cold air but didn't notice the lack of a display. Input, advice??? TIA....DFO :confused

The light display in the C5 heater conrol unit is prone to failure. I had the whole unit replaced once. I have heard of people repairing the light, but this is not the factory approach. Try a search of the threads. This has been discussed before.

Try a search on a/c head unit. It will turn up a number of things.

Good luck!

Tammy

Thanks, I did search but only came up with a price of @ $700. Not sure if that is parts only or parts + labor. Either way...owch! Next ?....can it be converted to the "standard" htr. a/c controls and get rid of the mickey mouse gee whiz, failure prone electronic gizmos??? Let me rephrase that: can it be done without tearing the car apart and costing even more $$? TIA DFO :ugh

look on ebay under corvette parts. I bought a replacement unit from a guy there for 100.00 and it was easy to install and works great.

The light display in the C5 heater conrol unit is prone to failure. I had the whole unit replaced once. I have heard of people repairing the light, but this is not the factory approach.
------------------------------------------------------------------
The loss of the display LED is a common problem. Here is a link to
another forum that has some good info if you want to remove the display
yourself.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1448698&highlight=climate+control

The problem is in the soldering of some connections on the back which are not done well from the factory. In this thread is a link to some detailed how to instructions on removing and replacing (with expandable pictures) the display,as well as a link to someone who fixes the boards reasonably.

Hope this works & helps you.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom