Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

automatic temp control problem......

D

designeraccd

Last night we took our newly purchased 2002 coupe (33k miles) out and as it was lo 50s turned-or tried to-the heater on for the first time. I assume from looking at the controls and the "explanation" of use in the owners manual that the small "black" window should light up with a display, for example a temp. setting. NOTHING is visible in that window. Also there is no position indicator line on the driver's side temp control knob so I can't tell what I'm "aiming" at from that either. Am I missing something or is something amiss?

I sort of got luke warm air to blow, windows up. BTW when I tried the a/c b4 buying the car I rapidly got cold air but didn't notice the lack of a display. Input, advice??? TIA....DFO :confused

Corvette
2002 electron blue Z06
The light display in the C5 heater conrol unit is prone to failure. I had the whole unit replaced once. I have heard of people repairing the light, but this is not the factory approach. Try a search of the threads. This has been discussed before.

Corvette
2002 Yellow Z06 (sold); 1999 Pewter FRC (sold)
Try a search on a/c head unit. It will turn up a number of things.

Good luck!

Tammy

D

designeraccd

Thanks, I did search but only came up with a price of @ $700. Not sure if that is parts only or parts + labor. Either way...owch! Next ?....can it be converted to the "standard" htr. a/c controls and get rid of the mickey mouse gee whiz, failure prone electronic gizmos??? Let me rephrase that: can it be done without tearing the car apart and costing even more $$? TIA DFO :ugh

falco

Corvette
2007 machine silver Z51 coupe
look on ebay under corvette parts. I bought a replacement unit from a guy there for 100.00 and it was easy to install and works great.

Old Dog

Corvette
2002 Mag Red Vert
The light display in the C5 heater conrol unit is prone to failure. I had the whole unit replaced once. I have heard of people repairing the light, but this is not the factory approach.
------------------------------------------------------------------
The loss of the display LED is a common problem. Here is a link to
another forum that has some good info if you want to remove the display
yourself.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1448698&highlight=climate+control

The problem is in the soldering of some connections on the back which are not done well from the factory. In this thread is a link to some detailed how to instructions on removing and replacing (with expandable pictures) the display,as well as a link to someone who fixes the boards reasonably.

Hope this works & helps you.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom