Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Winter's....... This is the worst yet!

Bobsvette

Corvette
2019 Torch Red Grand Sport
:confused I'm not dealing with winter very well this year because of having to but away my new toy's. Man, owned motorcycle's since I was 16, no problem winterizing them and putting them away until spring.The past few year's the wife and I have owned at least one car that never saw snow, winterized, no problem until spring. This year I have to put away not one but two beautiful vette's.Picked up my LT-4 in may from Stinger!! out of FLA and picked up a 99 coupe in oct out of VA. usually everything's buttoned up by nov 1st but I can't bring myself to call my ins. agent to take liability off. The past few day's here reality really set in seeing the car's with solid frost on them. The thing is once I park them they stay parked,I won't take them out even if you happen to catch a nice day,refuse to chance sand, salt or just plain winter slop being around the next corner. Move to a warmer climate? really not an option, to many tie's here. So anyway for a little while longer I guess I'll put up with warming up the car's longer( I also refuse to use a ice scraper on the windshield) I do have a two car garage for storage but not right now, motorcycle's, lawn tractor and other summer stuff take up the room So anyway's I need some advice on how to get through this"winter's around the corner"shock.:cry

Brr! That picture looks cold! Reminds me a little of last Thursday around here- only without the sideways snow.

I don't know that there is a way around the "winter's around the corner" syndrome, Bob. If I knew of a way, I'd have shared it with Remo three winters ago.

All we can do is bite the bullet, and accept that our beautiful Corvettes are either going to be down for season, or risk the gravel/sand/salt mixtures on the roads on even nice winter days. And we cold winter state residents need to form a support group so that the Florida members don't depress us with stories about how they got the Vette out on Christmas Morning/New Year's Eve/Superbowl Sunday/Valentine's Day, etc, for an incredible day out.

:w
-Patrick

Hey Bob - about this picture. I'm guessing it was taken last year around Christmas (excuse me - I mean "the holidays"). I'm glad to see that your toys are safely put away in the garage. An observation - there's a piece of lawn furniture in the front yard. Does the family often sit out there in the winter? Also the front steps and sidewalk needed to be shoveled. Remember everyone's looking for a method by which they can litigate. Have a swell winter - and I feel your pain.

Remo:cool
attachment.php

Thank's guy's for the support:L This pic of the snow was taken a couple years ago,very early in the morning right after the storm passed.I just added it in to feed my misery. As to the lawn furniture that's outdoor stuff ,double bench from klotter farm's, my fountain wrapped up'd and when this pic was taken I didn't own either vette yet,there's a lincoln mark VIII in the garage that alway's got stored and like I wrote in an earlier post I picked up my 96 in early may of this year went to carlisle came home sold the mark and bought the 99,GOD, I LOVE BOTH THESE CAR'S!!! But I'll survive. As to what's taking up all the room in my driveway is my son's 91 S-10 my daughter's 02 S-10 a 91 merc winter beater but that got replaced with a 96 towncar w/remote start and my 97 4WD ranger w/remote start. You don't live in new england without giving yourself a little help;) But here it is thursday quite warm but it's supposed to pour the next two,and the temp's are going to start dropping so it's no ice for this kid, this sat both cars get oil changes, gas tank's filled, stabil added put in the garage, battery tender's hooked up,cover's put on (after wash+wax),then I'm going to find a cat somewhere to kick it(I'm a dog person, I have five that's right five) then I'm going into the house to stare at the wall! Man I hope the first year is only this hard (LOL) :rotfl :upthumbs

Bobsvette, I feel your grief!I top'd off my tank after adding my stabil last evening here in northern Ohio.Got my first vette last spring 22,650 miles and the car got wet twice in it's 12years,to say the least it's showroom.Have my original 77 Kawasaki Z1000 and just unloaded a Suzuki Bandit--will never sell the Z.I really spent no time on these bikes once the corvette came into my life,crank up the Boise with the top off ---it dont get any better.....all said and done yes, I to! am bummed-out with the approach of winter this year.My log pile will grow and I'll stay outside as much as able.Time should go quickly

Well Bob I had the solution in the past that worked well for me.Conway self storage near the Orlando airport $100 per month.Plane tickets about $150rt a pop. Leave home thurs and return on tue about once a month.As soon as my c-5 is sold i'll do it again.

Small world, I ride a 01 kaw concours, But I still have my 75 Z-1B that I bought new when I was 19, Just can't part with it. Still runs like a bear! like you the vettes came along and the mc's took a back seat;)

Ms,Like a pin-ball machine... ding,ding,ding,ding,ding!!!

ssshh!! Bad Karma!! Your vette has feelings and also a strong 6th sense about these things ;)
I know i'm hoping the next owner has a tv so quicksilver can watch speed channel and the weather channel.The car also has a Scooby doo telephone.All this winter talk maybe we'll head south and do the sale thing in the spring.

I keep the Ins on mine and drive it when the roads are clear actually I still drive the 68 on really nice days and the 97 when its cold or rainy. The 76 my Wifes 82 and my street rod pick-up are tucked in the barn. Lately I have been driving the old blazer nights since its the rut and bambi is on the move a lot more.

My C4s sat during Winter, but I put Mich Pilot Sport A/S on my C5 so I could take her out if there should be an occasional "decent" Winter day with "clear" roads....if. Bad enough that I still can't ride my motorcycles as the "simple" operation on neck to relieve a pinched nerve...hasn't worked. Still pain of varying intensity 24/7 after 14 weeks.

The C5 has been getting lots of use while my new FJR and beloved 1200R Sportster sit...and sit...@$%^$$#. I must say that I sure am glad I got my '02 coupe; not a bike but still quite "entertaining" on 2 lane twisty back roads!

As an old (1965) BMW ad, which showed a black beemer peeking out from under all the snow, stated: If Winter comes can Spring be far behind!!! Now that's a + view...love it!! LOL! DFO ;)

Our winters seem to be getting milder, maybe 2/3 weeks in Jan, Feb when it really gets cold. We usually dont get any serious snow till the end of Dec, or early Jan. If its dry and nothing much in the way of old salt on the road, I'll take the Vette out. Have to be careful with the loose gravel thought, and the tires that never seem to warm up!

Our winters seem to be getting milder, maybe 2/3 weeks in Jan, Feb when it really gets cold. We usually dont get any serious snow till the end of Dec, or early Jan. If its dry and nothing much in the way of old salt on the road, I'll take the Vette out.

Ditto.........Remember there is a tombstone out there with your name and date of birth on it....the only thing else it needs is the date of death and maybe an epitaph saying " I wish I had of driven my Corvette more"

Enjoy your car life is too short...A friend of mine dropped stone dead in COSCO last week without a warning, and tow truck pulled his low milage C6 off his driveway yesterday.

Hotwing, I know. But with 3 cars, I just can't bring myself to take it out in bad weather. I hate cleaning in when its cold outside, as I like to do a nice job on it. The old owner must have been the same way, thats how I got a 12 year old car with 32,000 miles on it.

Another picture of the pleasantries to come.
2006Blizzard1.jpg

But I had the Traction Control On?

Don't let this happen to you.
CorvetteSkiClubIII.jpg

So anyway's I need some advice on how to get through this"winter's around the corner"shock.

Drive up to my house and put in my TKO-500, I'll let you know how the beer tastes:D

Insurance

"I can't bring myself to call my ins. agent to take liability off."

I have never done this, but if you don't drive your car I guess it's not needed. I will have to check into this :)

Is there much of a savings?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom