Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hooker Sidepipes and O2 sensor

LannyL81

Corvette
81 White/Cinnabar, 96 CE LT4 sil/blk
Anyone install a set of the Hooker sidepipes and retain the O2 sensor?

I can see where to put an O2 bung at in the header collector, but just not sure if that location will work....quite a distance away from the engine. If I need to go to a heated O2.....anyone know which one has the same output as the original AF23 (or is it AF21)?

Anyone????

Engine is re-assembled with new pistons and valves, valves guides, bores honed and back in the car. Now I have to decide if I can go with sidepipes or just true duals with headers.

Thanks,
Lanny

Anyone install a set of the Hooker sidepipes and retain the O2 sensor?

I can see where to put an O2 bung at in the header collector, but just not sure if that location will work....quite a distance away from the engine. If I need to go to a heated O2.....anyone know which one has the same output as the original AF23 (or is it AF21)?

Anyone????

Engine is re-assembled with new pistons and valves, valves guides, bores honed and back in the car. Now I have to decide if I can go with sidepipes or just true duals with headers.

Thanks,
Lanny

Lanny, I installed the oxygen sensor on my 81. I ordered them through Jet-Hot with the bung already welded in. They welded it in the wrong location, but fixed it in the end.

I believe I used the wires from an old sensor to make the wires longer. I can get you more detailed location info this weekend, if needed.

-Tim

Is there only one sensor on the '81?
69MyWay has an O2 sensor bung on the collector of his sidepipes and it worked. However, I don't know if it's the exact same application as what you are going for.

I have one in my 76 it is located in the collector on the drivers side and is a heated one. I have a laptop programable ECU and played around with the transport delay settings some since the O2 sensor is located further away then stock.

Lanny, I installed the oxygen sensor on my 81. I ordered them through Jet-Hot with the bung already welded in. They welded it in the wrong location, but fixed it in the end.

I believe I used the wires from an old sensor to make the wires longer. I can get you more detailed location info this weekend, if needed.

-Tim

Tim,

Yes!....further information is requested. Are you using the stock O2 sensor? Could you take a picture of where its at in the collector?
Are you using the stock E4ME carb? Any problems with the O2 sensor not getting hot enoug?

Thanks for the response,
Lanny

Tim,

Yes!....further information is requested. Are you using the stock O2 sensor? Could you take a picture of where its at in the collector?
Are you using the stock E4ME carb? Any problems with the O2 sensor not getting hot enoug?

Thanks for the response,
Lanny

I'm still using the stock carb, but I did replace the secondary needles and hangers. I'm also did some engine work, so I wanted to richen up the secondaries.

PM me your email address and I can send you a couple photos that I took when installing.

I do occasionally get the Engine light. It'll come on for a couple minutes and then go back off. It never stays lit for an extended period of time. Seems to happen the most when I'm just cruising and a constant speed for a while. Not sure what it is related to..

-tim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom