Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What oil do you guy's prefer?

Most of you using Mobil 1? Was thinking of trying Amsoil.
Amsoil is OK, so is alot of other Synthectic Oils!!! I use Mobil 1, easy to find about anywhere!!! Besides,It's good enough for Zora,It's good enough for me!!!;LOL:upthumbs

Amsoil is OK, so is alot of other Synthectic Oils!!! I use Mobil 1, easy to find about anywhere!!! Besides,It's good enough for Zora,It's good enough for me!!!;LOL:upthumbs
Thats what I said "OK" but you had to get wordy.Shouldn't you be out polishin' something ?:D

I prefer Pennzoil Platinum. The oil analysis results are showing this oil to be an extremely consistent performer, and it's been on sale quite a lot over the past year for some killer deals (such as 99 cents/qt after rebate!)

I use exactly what GM tells me to use: Mobile 1, 5W-30.

However, I'm sure that the other brand-name synthetics are just s good.

Not that many people use Amsoil. I think it's because it's not that common and it's pretty pricey. I have a dealer account with them so I use it in all my vehicles. I wish you were closer, I always sell to my friends at cost + tax.

I've used Pennzoil Platinum, but I'm trying Royal Purple. I 'm not a fan of Mobil products, and Platinum meets the same GM spec at Mobil 1, and it's cheaper. I just put in the Royal Purple, so we'll see how that works out.

Pennzoil Platinum. Meets GM spec 4781M and has always been good to me at a price $8 or so less than M1 in the 5 quart jug.

Just so everyone knows, Pennziol Platinum is made by Shell Oil Products U. S.
Shell also makes "Quakerstate Q Advance" Both are synthetic, both meet the GM4713 spec.
There is some special additive technology in the "Q" Advance" that reduces friction by a large amount when it is @ operating temperatures. This will give more power as less is lost due to friction.

It's ok if you don't believe me, I'm just you friendly neighborhood tribologist...

Just so everyone knows, Pennziol Platinum is made by Shell Oil Products U. S.
Shell also makes "Quakerstate Q Advance" Both are synthetic, both meet the GM4713 spec.
There is some special additive technology in the "Q" Advance" that reduces friction by a large amount when it is @ operating temperatures. This will give more power as less is lost due to friction.

It's ok if you don't believe me, I'm just you friendly neighborhood tribologist...

I'm sure that Quaker State's new synthetic is good enough to pass the GM4718M test, however according to their spec sheet it does not list it as meeting this spec. So one should be careful about using this oil in a new Corvette under warranty. Pennzoil Platinum not only meets this spec, but it's also on GM's registered list for 4718M as well:

GM4718M.gif

Quakerstate Q Advance = Pennzoil Platinum, so says their maker, Shell Oil.

I don't believe this to be true at all. I know someone who just retired from Pennzoil and he tells me that they still have three separate teams and three separate formulas for Quaker State, Shell and Pennzoil. And if you look at the product data sheets, they have different specs also. Not only that, but the oil analysis results I have seen for the three oils show different additive levels also. So even though all of them are owned by Shell, right now they are still treated as three separate divisions. That's not to say it couldn't change in the future though.

While we're at it, what is the best spark plug for our cars???
:boogie

Quaker State Q synthetic is original fill in Ferraris, and recommended by them. That 12 cylinder from Modena is a lot more finicky than our motor. I think it would be OK for us. Just a guess. ;squint:

Quaker State Q synthetic is original fill in Ferraris, and recommended by them. That 12 cylinder from Modena is a lot more finicky than our motor. I think it would be OK for us. Just a guess. ;squint:
Hmmm...I questioned that, so I did so looking around. I don't know if the info you refer to is just for US imports or worldwide...

SHELL HELIX Ultra 5W40 - Factory fill by Ferrari
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40, the factory recommended oil.

...and here's what could be a very good link about motor oils... Bob Is The Oil Guy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom