Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need a little clarification on the 68 BB

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
My 68's VIN is #308, so it was built on the 1st or 2nd day of the production. I have a few questions..

1) Did any of the early production 68s use wheel code AG (left over from 67) my car has 4 AG code wheels??

2) I was told that 68 BB motors came w/ orange valve covers, and then the dealers switched them to the chrome covers, is this true??

3) Also was told by the same person that I should have had an expansion tank on my car ( I dont have one ) Where any 68 BB cars equiped w/ expansion tanks??

I'm curious about the expansion tank also. altho my 68 was supposed top be ;LOL "original" ;LOL its a 4-speed with a removable crossmember (orig auto car) has a 4 core rad and an extra 4 core auto rad that has been following the car around. It does have an expansion tank that was not hooked up.

Jim,
Not sure on wheels....
With regards to expansion tank, I too wondered this on mine. Mine is a 327/300 which according to the AIM should have a tank. However mine is an A/C car and I have been told that they had the tank deleted. Also the AIM shows no tank in any of the 427 options.
As for valve covers, believe they should be stamped orange covers.

JohnZ would be the man to answer these questions.

My 68's VIN is #308, so it was built on the 1st or 2nd day of the production. I have a few questions..

1) Did any of the early production 68s use wheel code AG (left over from 67) my car has 4 AG code wheels??

2) I was told that 68 BB motors came w/ orange valve covers, and then the dealers switched them to the chrome covers, is this true??

3) Also was told by the same person that I should have had an expansion tank on my car ( I dont have one ) Where any 68 BB cars equiped w/ expansion tanks??

"AG" is the correct '68-only 15x7 rally wheel - 67's used a 15x6 coded "DC".

I'm more familiar with C2's, where the L-89 was the only '67 BB that came with chrome valve covers; not sure if that was also the case for '68.

I'm pretty sure that '68 BB's all used a copper/brass radiator with NO expansion tank.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom