Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Just how much whould I be driving this car?

Fullback32

Corvette
2004 Magnetic Red Metallic II Convertible
Ok, this is kind of making me a little nuts. I love my C5. The C4 was all fine and good, but I have no regrets in selling the 1989 and getting the 2004. It had 29,000 miles when I bought it back in April. I have put roughly 600 miles a month on it since I bought it. I'm sitting at 30,200 right now.

I'm going kind of crazy because I LOVE to drive this car. Yet at the same time, I hate putting many miles on it and already feel like I've put too many on. I go into the garage and stare at it with that entranced smile on my face....you know the one. War Pony looks back and he says "drive me", but part of me feels guilty if I do. And I won't drive it if it even looks like it's going to rain!

What is this madness? I didn't go through this with my C4, my 1985 Celica Supra or my 1979 Trans Am! I drove the crap out of those cars. But for some reason, this C5 has me acting all goofy. My friends are always asking, "Drive the 'vette today?" I get all sheepish, look down at the ground and kind of kick the dirt and say, "Oh, no."

So, what is the right balance of keeping miles down, but keeping your car in shape by driving it? Is 600 too high, too low, or just about right? This is crazy behavior! ;help

Ok, this is kind of making me a little nuts. I love my C5. The C4 was all fine and good, but I have no regrets in selling the 1989 and getting the 2004. It had 29,000 miles when I bought it back in April. I have put roughly 600 miles a month on it since I bought it. I'm sitting at 30,200 right now.

I'm going kind of crazy because I LOVE to drive this car. Yet at the same time, I hate putting many miles on it and already feel like I've put too many on. I go into the garage and stare at it with that entraced smile on my face....you know the one. War Pony looks back and he says "drive me", but part of me feels guilty if I do. And I won't drive it if it even looks like it's going to rain!

What is this madness? I didn't go through this with my C4, my 1985 Celica Supra or my 1979 Trans Am! I drove the crap out of those cars. But for some reason, this C5 has me acting all goofy. My friends are always asking, "Drive the 'vette today?" I get all sheepish, look down at the ground and kind of kick the dirt and say, "Oh, no." They're all, "If I had that car, I'd be driving it all the time!"

So, what is the right balance of keeping miles down, but keeping your car in shape by driving it? Is 600 to high, to low, or just about right? This is crazy behavior! ;help
;LOL;LOL;LOL;LOLMy 03 Z-51 was a Garage Queen for the first 3 years I owned it,and at the 4th safety inspection with less than 8,000 miles,Gas Mileage in excess of 30 MPG on the road and the gas creeping up in price,I decided "WTF",My Corvette Is my economy car!!:thumb:thumb:thumb
I say Ride that Ride with a Smile,Beats the hell out of driving Foreign Sheet Metal!!!:boogie:boogie:boogie

Agree with 6. Nothing wrong with having a garage queen if that's your gig. I bought my current one from someone who never drove it and I now drive it everyday and just get upset that the weather doesn't always cooperate to leave the top down. When this one is worn out, I'll go buy another garage queen and wear it out too. So, there's nothing wrong with not driving them or with driving them. Eventually, they'll all get driven. :)

I know what you mean. I try to drive mine to the office at least once a week and to car shows on weekends but I feel that I should drive it more than I do!

I've had my 98 for four years and I'm averaging just under 10k a year. The way I see it, I have three daily drivers, one just happens to be a lot faster and more fuel efficient than the other two:D. Drive it! JMHO

I bought my Z06 in '03 and in the next two years only added 5,000 miles on it. Less driving than what you're doing. In '05 I was in the hospital for 32 days, the first week in critical condition but I was medically sedated so didn't know what was going on. When I came to I made up my mind to drive the car more because, as one of my friends put it, "If you don't drive it....someone else will". I've got over 30,000 miles on it now and drive it every chance I get. I still try not to purposely drive in the rain but if I get caught out in it.....c'est la vive. I recently purchased my '66 and I'm driving that one too. Why give the next guy the pleasure of driving them?

I am glad to know that I am not the only one. Mine had 9200 miles last December when I bought it. I feel that every day I am doing more and more damage. I just had a rear end seals/ half shaft replaced because of "lack of use" and I notice that there are so many more things that deteriorate due to lack of use. Moral: enjoy. it will last longer than we will. BTW it is my econo car too. I have an F150 and anything is econo compared to that.

I agree!!! Drive it like you stole it!!!!!!!!!

If you want to buy a corvette and not drive it, make it a 1:24 scale and put it on your shelf. To have a full scale model and not drive it, is, well..................CRAZY! My daily driver is on the left.

Thanks all. I took your advice and drove it to work today...and it even looks like rain this afternoon. :D It's not a bad drive either. 38 miles round trip with the top down. I intend to do this more often.

I am glad to know that I am not the only one. Mine had 9200 miles last December when I bought it. I feel that every day I am doing more and more damage. I just had a rear end seals/ half shaft replaced because of "lack of use" and I notice that there are so many more things that deteriorate due to lack of use. Moral: enjoy. it will last longer than we will. BTW it is my econo car too. I have an F150 and anything is econo compared to that.

"I hear ya brother." I bought mine six years ago and only have 13.340 on the clock. Now a lot has to do with the fact I'm retired and my health isn't so hot. But I planning on hitting the 50K mark before I cash in my chips !

You just never know around here, do ya!

And yeah my beater is sittin in the parking lot at work (130 miles round trip! :L )

Odometer = 216K miles and counting!

Bill

130 miles! :eek:hnoes Sounds like a Denver commuter. Ok I'll stop whining about the 38 miles I put on to go to Schriever! :L

Watching the odometer click over is traumatic, 'cause we want our babies to be new forever. But with the prices of C5s in free fall, better just enjoy one unless you plan on selling or trading in the near future.

These cars are fantasic touring machines. The Navigator and I just did a 2,278 road trip and I didn't give a thought to the miles Ol Red was racking up (well, not too often. LOL).

Just keep the DIC set to Trip and don't look at the odometer! :D That makes it less stressful.

Mine's not a DD, but I don't shy away from driving it. We are taking it on vacation a week from today, I plan on putting 1200-1500 miles on it in the week, so what? Yea, I like to keep my cars looking good(.....OK I like them to look great), but that won't stop me from driving.

Just because it gets driven to death doesn't mean it has to look like it has been driven to death. 104,000 miles and counting...

washpics0.jpg

You better drive that thing because when you croak, your wife's new boyfriend is going to drive the hell out of it. All you're doing is saving it for him!

Adams polishes do look good on the ole Corvette.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom