Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need Help With Everything (lol)... Newbie 1984 crossfire

T

toddadam

Hello all,

I am new here and this is my first post. I have been reading alot of the forums and just cannot figure this thing out. This is my first vette 1984 crossfire.

The car had been sitting for 2 years when I got. It ran but would only get to about 40-50 just wouldnt go.(anyone else have that problem before)

We set the timing and put in a new fuel pump. That seemed to help for a day or two. Still didnt have any power but no backfiring, knocking etc.

Today I looked at the wiring diagram and they had the wires all messed up from the injectors. So I fixed that (lol i think)

Anyway, so the dash cluster blinks at me so I know I need a new one but will the rpm still work? I know the speedometer does just not the temp etc. Anyway if it does it idles at 9 (x100) goes in to gear kind a rough with the back wheels spinning a tad so I am pretty sure that is messed up. And then it wants to stall. I can get it going but when you give it gas it just well, doesnt do anything. Takes a second to go but still doesnt go (if that makes sense)

So I did the code thing and come up with 15, 33 and 34. I am putting in a new thermostat tomorrow because I thought it was running hot. I reset it by taking cable off of battery and let it run for about 15 minutes but when I redid the codes it only gave me a 15 this time.

I think from what I read it could be a vacuum leak but to be honest I dont know where to start. I ordered the factory services manuals today so I know that will help.

Anyway, I know this is alot for 1 post but I am new and have no idea where to go from here. Thanks for all your help and any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Todd

WELCOME TO THE CAC~ Code 15

1984.. my 1st C-4.... ahh love/hate

Code 15 Temp sensor...

2 pin connector Yellow & black wire ( I believe ).

Located on the front of the block.. over water pump..

Pull apart connector ( BE CAREFUL THE PLASTIC IS OLD & BRITTLE )

Look at the connection point see if there's any crud in there.

Spray contact cleaner in there....

replace.. reset ECM ( get in the habit of pulling the ECM fuse )

Pass side of dash... open pass door.. look at side of dash.. open hatch..
Pull fuse

Vig~

I would check the following

If the car has been sitting a LONG TIME...

Pop the distrib cap.. make sure the advance works.

Check that there not bad corosion under there.

I would redo all the plug wires...

Thanks
Vig~

thanks guys for your replies. Still trying to learn where everything is until i get the service manuals. Will try what you guys said so far tomorrow and will see how it goes.

Also, do you guys recommend getting parts if needed from a place like ecklers or from parts store. Or does it just depend on what I am replacing.

Thanks again,
Todd

thanks guys for your replies. Still trying to learn where everything is until i get the service manuals. Will try what you guys said so far tomorrow and will see how it goes.

Also, do you guys recommend getting parts if needed from a place like ecklers or from parts store. Or does it just depend on what I am replacing.

Thanks again,
Todd
Find a reputable parts store in your area, like NAPA. Many of the chain stores have kids behind the counter that just know how to look things up on a computer. Ecklers is pricey and you can end up waiting longer than necessary for parts.

Go online

1st normal maint stuff.. Kragen... go online.. make a user log in
and search available parts for your car...

Vette specific stuff
Mid America
ZIP
Ecklers
J&D Corvette ( bellflower CA )

AND
Ebay & Craigslist

SHOP SHOP SHOP

The original CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor) design was a single wire (grounded through the body of the sensor), that was later changed to the two wire design due to reliability issues. This sensor is located in the front of the intake manifold (not the block) kinda tucked up underneath the AIR diverter valve. Do replace it, and make sure the new one is the two wire design. The extra (black) wire simply goes to a good ground point.

It has been a while since I have tinkered with the distributor....but as I recall the L83 does not use mechanical spark advance, rather electronic (aside from the "base" advance set by distributor position).

ok, went ahead and changed the thermostat.
I looked for the coolant temp sensor and like I said in previous post there was a few things unplugged and i think that is one of them...lol

It is sticking out behind the belt coming out of the middle kinda all by itself looks white. But not sure if that is it or not. Nothing is going to it/plugged into it. But there is a wire with a plug that is pretty much gone looks like it might fit into it. It does have black & yellow wire.

Ordered a pcv valve should be here tomorrow. Drove it today and it runs decent but still doesnt have that get up and go when you hit the pedal. Once the rpm's are up it runs better.

Anyway, will check for that plug and sensor and will see if I can find anything else tomorrow.

Also, I hear alot about the vacuum leak is there any place I should look first? I was going to clean the throttle bodies and check the gaskets as well.

Thanks again

todd

Tood, looks like these guys are on top of things and helping you get started. :thumb

I just wanted to say HI! and :welcome Good luck!

:wJane Ann

oh, i also forgot after I ran it some it come back with the 14 code which says the same as 15 code did it that helps.

And the cluster with the speed temp. etc. Just blinks and has the left turn signal on and headlight beam too. I think this means it is bad.

Any suggestions on getting a new one or fixing this one?

Thanks again for all your help. Love these forums.

Jane Ann, thanks for the welcome and yes I am getting excellent info. Love that color on your vette too..

ok, went ahead and changed the thermostat.
I looked for the coolant temp sensor and like I said in previous post there was a few things unplugged and i think that is one of them...lol

It is sticking out behind the belt coming out of the middle kinda all by itself looks white. But not sure if that is it or not. Nothing is going to it/plugged into it. But there is a wire with a plug that is pretty much gone looks like it might fit into it. It does have black & yellow wire.

Ordered a pcv valve should be here tomorrow. Drove it today and it runs decent but still doesnt have that get up and go when you hit the pedal. Once the rpm's are up it runs better.

Anyway, will check for that plug and sensor and will see if I can find anything else tomorrow.

Also, I hear alot about the vacuum leak is there any place I should look first? I was going to clean the throttle bodies and check the gaskets as well.

Thanks again

todd

Kinda difficult to just go by that description...can you take a picture of it?

If the CTS is disconnected then the ECM won't get engine temperature info...and this is critical info! It will run like crap, period.

Kinda difficult to just go by that description...can you take a picture of it?

If the CTS is disconnected then the ECM won't get engine temperature info...and this is critical info! It will run like crap, period.

Just took some with my phone. Once is a closeup of that plug and then I tried to move it up a little to get a better shot. And then I took a pitcure of the plug which has a black and yellow wire but the outside of the plug is gone. If you can't really get an idea by these I can post some tomorrow with my camera.

Thanks

Well I had to go and pay the $25 to be a member and help support this site. I have read and learned so much in such a short time it is amazing.

Anyway, I feel it is well worth it for me to help support this site all I can now. So, if anyone that uses this site should for sure donate to the site as well. I mean all the information is just priceless.

I love it and cannot wait to learn enough to where I can then be the person giving the advice.

Good night and talk with you all tomorrow.

Todd

Here's another thanks, Todd...and welcome to the Corvette Action Center!

Elaine

Todd,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center and thank you! I'm glad to hear that the site has been helpful to you. :thumb

Just took some with my phone. Once is a closeup of that plug and then I tried to move it up a little to get a better shot. And then I took a pitcure of the plug which has a black and yellow wire but the outside of the plug is gone. If you can't really get an idea by these I can post some tomorrow with my camera.

Thanks

Man I just can't tell what area of the engine you're in there...looks like maybe around the AC compressor?

Try backing your camera up a little, its in a little too close.

Either way, the only sensor I know of that would have one black and one yellow wire is the later style CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor). You really need to just identify that sensor on the engine and see if it is connected. If you can't seem to identify where it is I will see if I can't get a picture for you this evening.

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom