Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 vs C5 performance

Each generation has had it's ups and downs. People in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones (or should I paraphrase and say glass cars :D ). Show me one generation of Corvette that wasn't a technological leader, in it's time. I've said this a hundred times, but I'll say it again. A Corvette is a Corvette is a Corvette, no matter what year, or what mods the owner has done to it. Without the previous generations the next would not be what it is (or was as the case might be).

It really irks me when owners play the high and mighty..."my generation is better than yours". Guys (and gals), all Corvettes are a great breed. Improvements are what we hope they keep doing to this icon. If they don't they may as well kill it.

Time will tell how these cars will be judged and I believe that they all will become collectors items. Will they all be worth the price of a 1967 427 roadster (or coupe)? I doubt it. But they will be worth more than the average car of the same year that rolled off most assembly lines.

Each generation has had it's ups and downs. People in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones (or should I paraphrase and say glass cars :D ). Show me one generation of Corvette that wasn't a technological leader, in it's time. I've said this a hundred times, but I'll say it again. A Corvette is a Corvette is a Corvette, no matter what year, or what mods the owner has done to it. Without the previous generations the next would not be what it is (or was as the case might be).

It really irks me when owners play the high and mighty..."my generation is better than yours". Guys (and gals), all Corvettes are a great breed. Improvements are what we hope they keep doing to this icon. If they don't they may as well kill it.

Time will tell how these cars will be judged and I believe that they all will become collectors items. Will they all be worth the price of a 1967 427 roadster (or coupe)? I doubt it. But they will be worth more than the average car of the same year that rolled off most assembly lines.
i have always said the same thing for ..well lets see....since the 60's when i became aware..always buy the newest one you can afford..
when i paid cash for mine it was all that i was willing to spend at the time..
the draw of the C6 is strong..every time i think about 430 horse and 6 speed paddle shifter black on black.well.....i am trying to justify the payments verses the need...i just cant quite bridge the gap, but in a couple more years perhaps some other major stuff will be paid off .....until ten ill be poking alone in my polo green C4...and watching the market..lol]
:cool

I came across a 2002 milenium yellow vert 6sp with 45k miles for $19900. I thought that was a good price.

I'm still holding out for a Z06, either C5 or C6 :D

A 2002 @ 45k miles for $19.9k sounds like a good price, ...

... I must say my Millennium Yellow Roadster drives a little sweeter since it's LS6/Z06 motor replacement! :thumb

:lou
L8TR - D

... I must say my Millennium Yellow Roadster drives a little sweeter since it's LS6/Z06 motor replacement! :thumb

:lou
L8TR - D

i hate to sound like an old maid here but would you care to share the cost of that adventure.?:w

I came across a 2002 milenium yellow vert 6sp with 45k miles for $19900. I thought that was a good price.

I'm still holding out for a Z06, either C5 or C6 :D

gm junk told me on the phone, that his ZO 6 is no contest for a new C6...thats with the little motor..only 430 horse...lol...i think we can safely say we would rather skip the whole C5 category...:w

The C4 was built like a race car. You can change the front shocks or brakes in a suit and not get very dirty. You can add fluids without worrying about dripping on the paint surfaces. The C5 and C6 seems built for those who take their car to someone else to work on and have deep pockets to do so. Compare the cost to change a clutch in a C4 with that on a C5. That's why there are so many C5's on the verge of needing a new clutch on the market.

A look at the LT1 and LS1 HP torque charts will show that though the C5 LS1 has more HP and torque than the LT1 it has it where most people don't use it above 4500rpm. That is a fact that seems to be lost on many people. With the same rear end, the C4 is faster off the line and more responsive for around town driving. The C4 also has wider rear tires to give a harder launch.

The original C4 targeted 1G on the skid pad and with the right tires it was able to accomplish this. I saw the reports of testing at the Mesa proving grounds. (They did soften the spring rates for 1985 and later to make the ride less harsh.) Not sure if the C5 can accomplish this as delivered. I am also not a big fan of the C5 steering. Less road feel than the C4 but easier for the ladies. I also am not excited about the cableless throttle. Seems to be a bit of lag in my C5.

IMHO, the C4 also looks better standing still from the side. The sloped back verticle pillers make the car look like it is moving fast. Take a good look at the C5 roof pillar and you can see that it lost that look. The designers made a big mistake in not carrying that design over to the C5.

I agree with whomever said the C5 has too much interior room. It was built for those who have made a habit of too much fast foods and not enough trips to the gym. The interior of the C4 reminds me of my old race cars. A bit difficult to get in but once there it wraps around you. The C5 is much less intimate and is like getting into a low Lexus.

I also like the C4 rear better. The C5 looks like it was rear ended by a Mack truck, or someone backed it hard into a concrete wall. Too much fat lady back there. Why did they have to make that back end so tall and BIG?? The C5 rear is substantially higher than the C4. It looks a bit smaller on the C6.

I have both a C4 and C5 so.......

The C5 is quieter and more refined but at what expense. Maybe the increasing age of the average Corvette owner has necessitated these consessions to comfort etc. With the C5 GM was targeting the first time Corvette buyer and the female market and according to local dealers they succeeded as there are a much higher number of women and first time Corvette owners buying the C5/C6 series than ever bought the C4.

For my money, if you really want to experience what I think a Corvette was meant to be then you need to drive a C1 or a C2. Now, those are Corvettes though I'm not so sure I would want to tour the country in one. (In 1969 I drove a 65 Coupe with side pipes from Chicago to California in 29 hours.) Maybe a trip on Route 66 in a C1 would be fun for a day or two until the rain started coming in.

Now, where's my rain suit.

The C4 was built like a race car. You can change the front shocks or brakes in a suit and not get very dirty. You can add fluids without worrying about dripping on the paint surfaces. The C5 and C6 seems built for those who take their car to someone else to work on and have deep pockets to do so. Compare the cost to change a clutch in a C4 with that on a C5. That's why there are so many C5's on the verge of needing a new clutch on the market.

A look at the LT1 and LS1 HP torque charts will show that though the C5 LS1 has more HP and torque than the LT1 it has it where most people don't use it above 4500rpm. That is a fact that seems to be lost on many people. With the same rear end, the C4 is faster off the line and more responsive for around town driving. The C4 also has wider rear tires to give a harder launch.

The original C4 targeted 1G on the skid pad and with the right tires it was able to accomplish this. I saw the reports of testing at the Mesa proving grounds. (They did soften the spring rates for 1985 and later to make the ride less harsh.) Not sure if the C5 can accomplish this as delivered. I am also not a big fan of the C5 steering. Less road feel than the C4 but easier for the ladies. I also am not excited about the cableless throttle. Seems to be a bit of lag in my C5.

IMHO, the C4 also looks better standing still from the side. The sloped back verticle pillers make the car look like it is moving fast. Take a good look at the C5 roof pillar and you can see that it lost that look. The designers made a big mistake in not carrying that design over to the C5.

I agree with whomever said the C5 has too much interior room. It was built for those who have made a habit of too much fast foods and not enough trips to the gym. The interior of the C4 reminds me of my old race cars. A bit difficult to get in but once there it wraps around you. The C5 is much less intimate and is like getting into a low Lexus.

I also like the C4 rear better. The C5 looks like it was rear ended by a Mack truck, or someone backed it hard into a concrete wall. Too much fat lady back there. Why did they have to make that back end so tall and BIG?? The C5 rear is substantially higher than the C4. It looks a bit smaller on the C6.

I have both a C4 and C5 so.......

The C5 is quieter and more refined but at what expense. Maybe the increasing age of the average Corvette owner has necessitated these consessions to comfort etc. With the C5 GM was targeting the first time Corvette buyer and the female market and according to local dealers they succeeded as there are a much higher number of women and first time Corvette owners buying the C5/C6 series than ever bought the C4.

For my money, if you really want to experience what I think a Corvette was meant to be then you need to drive a C1 or a C2. Now, those are Corvettes though I'm not so sure I would want to tour the country in one. (In 1969 I drove a 65 Coupe with side pipes from Chicago to California in 29 hours.) Maybe a trip on Route 66 in a C1 would be fun for a day or two until the rain started coming in.

Now, where's my rain suit.

a lot of owners note that the C5 is more refined, the opposite of what corvette guy wants, but are sure it runs better....in the origional post i compared numbers and i dont think there would be any problem matching the horsepower numbers without going into the engine..ie with air flow management only..like cold air in and headders out..this should bring the performance up to the 350 horse range without affecting reliability, then its all in the gears..
im jus sayin..
the C4 seems like a good choice for cross country hot rodding but the age and miles on most of em make it a bit worrysome to me...
but life is about compromise..isnt it.?
ps
i have a narrow rear end so i dont dig the bigger seats..mine fit my butt just right..ive told a lot of folks that it is the most comfortable ride ive owned..just because the seat fits my body and holds me tight when we cruse..(i have cronic back and neck problems due to injuries and this support is most welcome)

I loved my '89 C4, my original War Pony, but it was starting to cost me too much money and time and my mechanic skills are fairly lacking. I kind of miss him. I was just looking at pics of him last night and fondly remembering the fun I had in him....my first 'vette.

I love my 2004 C5. Fast, powerful, comfortable, sharp and all I have to do is drive it and do regular maintenance. I know the time will come when age will start showing its ugly head and my beloved War Pony II will start costing me me too much time and money. I will probably sell him and get a C6 and name him War Pony 3.

Funny, despite alll this, I still have a total affection with C3s. These are the 'vettes I grew up seeing and coveting. Yes, even the mid-70s 185 HP ones. Love those lines! And one day, I will have one. If I had the money, I would be buying this one right now.

1969 Corvette Coupe

I loved my '89 C4, my original War Pony, but it was starting to cost me too much money and time. I kind of miss him. I was just looking at pic o fhim last night and fondly remembering the fun I had in him....my first 'vette.

I love my 2004 C5. Fast, powerful, comfortable, sharp and all I have to do is drive it and do regular maintenance. I know the time will come when age will start showing its ugly head and my beloved War Pony II will start costing me me too much time and money. I will probably sell him and get a C6 and name him War Pony 3.

Funny, despite alll this, I still have a total affection with C3s. These are the 'vettes I grew up seeing and coveting. Yes, even the mid-70s 185 HP ones. Love those lines! And one day, I will have one. If I had the money, I would be buying this one right now. 1969 Corvette Coupe

1981 Corvette 4-speed, black/saddle
how bout this one.?

Love the late 70s early 80s C3! Those rims are arguably the best looking 'vette rims of all time.

agreed..i like the big window too but that makes me a minority...i think it's cool cause i can carry more junk...lol

My wife and I have owned 3 C4s and 2 C5s. There are 2 C6s in our garage right now. We subscribe to the notion that the best Corvette is probably the newest one we can afford. We can afford one coupe and one convertible and they are both C6s.

If we had the money and the garage space, there would definitely be a C4 in the garage - probably a ZR1 or a Grand Sport - and a few other cars, but that's not the case. I got to buy more lottery tickets.

My wife and I have owned 3 C4s and 2 C5s. There are 2 C6s in our garage right now. We subscribe to the notion that the best Corvette is probably the newest one we can afford. We can afford one coupe and one convertible and they are both C6s.

If we had the money and the garage space, there would definitely be a C4 in the garage - probably a ZR1 or a Grand Sport - and a few other cars, but that's not the case. I got to buy more lottery tickets.

with a pair of C6's id say cash flow wasnt the problem...lol maybe you just need a bigger garage...

with a pair of C6's id say cash flow wasnt the problem...lol maybe you just need a bigger garage...

Since my wife and I met because of the Corvette (she had one and so did I), we've always had 2 Corvettes in the garage - his and hers.
I can afford 2 C6s and my current house payment but I can't afford the house payment and the C6s if the house is big enough to have a 5 or 6 car garage arrangement. We looked at that early last year when we did own 3 Corvettes (the other was a '92 C4). Decided to get rid of the C4 and stay put. Glad we did as the economy tanked shortly afterward. :eek:hnoes

Sorry, got to vote for the C5. I loved my '92 targa C4, and yes it was like getting into a cockpit, but the LT-1 is no comparison to an LS-1 or LS-6 for that matter. And of course, don't have to worry about the Opti-spark. My next one will be a Z06...hey they are all great, they are 'vettes!

Sorry, got to vote for the C5. I loved my '92 targa C4, and yes it was like getting into a cockpit, but the LT-1 is no comparison to an LS-1 or LS-6 for that matter. And of course, don't have to worry about the Opti-spark. My next one will be a Z06...hey they are all great, they are 'vettes!

indeed..:w

Sounds like I have the best of both worlds. A 383 in my C4 that really kicks butt :D

this is a no brainer ...duh
50 more horsepower and ft lbs of torque...no contest...
but......
with a cold air intake and less restrictive exhaust the C4 easily matches those numbers...
so where is the advantage.??
let the flailing begin..:upthumbs

No way you are going to get 50hp on an LT1 with just cold air intake and an exhaust.

I enjoyed my C4 very much. Once I purchased my 2002 vert I never drove my C4 anymore so I eventually sold it. To me that tells the story. The C5 was just a better car.

I do love the clamshell though.:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom