Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

02 Z06 Intermitent Elec Problem

Indy Z06

Corvette
2002 Z06 Mellenium Yellow
I need a little help with an intermitent electrical problem. It started with the Traction Control System Warning light. Decided to bring it to the dealer and have them check it out. I started the car, the HVAC controls went blank like a fuse had blown, and the ABS warning light came on. I checked every fuse in the car and all were fine. I started it back up to head to the dealer and had the Check Engine Warning light added to the list. About half way to the dealer I hit a bump in the road, the HAVC came on and all but the Check Engine lights went out. The TCS light is back on now with the Check Engine light but everything else is fine.

My guess is that there's a loose connection/ground somewhere in the mix. The obvious quesitons, at least for me, are what do these things have in common and where should I start looking?

I appreciate any help I can get.

The only add on electrical equip is an FM Frequecy Modulator in the trunk.

The Check Engine light is off now. The TCS light went out for a day but now it's back on. The ABS light has stayed off and the HVAC controls are still working.

I don't have a reader c4c5, but it's looking like I'm going to add one to the shoping list.

I don't have a reader c4c5, but it's looking like I'm going to add one to the shopping list.
You can get by without one,C5's have on-board Diagnostics!!:thumb
Post up ALL codes,History and Current!:thumb:thumb
Have a pencil and paper handy and wright them down!!:thumb
Don't clear the codes yet,Just leave them for now!!

How to Pull Codes:
1. Turn your key to the "ON" position, but do not start the engine.
2. Clear any present messages by pressing the RESET button.
3. Hold the OPTIONS button down, and press the FUEL button 4 times. (This will get you into the "codes" section of the DIC.
4. The computer will automatically display all the codes your car has created. It will cycle through each code every 3 seconds. (Have a pen and paper handy to write down the codes)

Note: Any code that ends in an "H" is a history code (something that has occurred in the past, but is not reporting as an error currently.)

5. Once the computer has finished going through all of its codes, press RESET to enter Manual Configuration mode. It should start with a module and show "NO CODES" or "# Codes."
6. To optionally reset codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until is displays "NO CODES."
7. Press OPTIONS to go into the next module (ie, from PCM, or Powertrain Control Module, to TCS, or Traction Control System.)
8. Repeat Step 6 until you have reset all the codes in all the computer modules.

Note: Only reset the codes if you want to- it is not necessary to reset them every time you pull the codes.

9. When finished, simply take your key out of the ignition.

here's the codes. It seemed like a pretty long list to me but what do I know? One of the things that's confusing me a bit here is that they are all history codes but the TCS light still comes on after I've been driving for a few minutes. The other lights have stayed off and the HVAC is still working.

10-PCM
P0135
P0155
P1571
P1689

28-TCS
C1277
C1281
C1287
C1288

40-BCM
B0432

58-SDM
U1040

60-IPC
U1255
U1040

A0-LDCM
B2202
B2206
B2282
B2284
U1255
U1016
U1096

A1-RDCM
B2283
B2287
B2285
B2265
U1255
U1064
U1016
U1096

Damn....that's a s**tload of codes.

I think the first thing I'd do is get out the Factory Service Manual, reasearch the locations of all the chassis grounds then check to make sure they are clean and tight. Then I'd clear codes and road test.

Damn....that's a s**tload of codes.

I think the first thing I'd do is get out the Factory Service Manual, reasearch the locations of all the chassis grounds then check to make sure they are clean and tight. Then I'd clear codes and road test.
Possibly a voltage surge. Check both battery terminals and the positive connection on the alternator. Make sure they are all tight and not corroded.

HI there,

Clear all the codes and reevaluate.

From what I see, you may need a few sensors, like an o2 sensor and steering wheel position sensor, but the majority of what you have can be due to a bad battery or connections.

Start with a good battery, 78-6yr rated which TESTS at 12.5 volts and 500 CCA at LEAST!!!!

Allthebest, c4c5

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom