Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

100mph ???????

Way back when I saw an article in Car and Driver or Motor Trend can't remember which, it was entitled "My Sweet Chariot" , it was all about the new 1972 Corvette Big Block. I'll never forget the picture of the Corvette on an airport runway out ahead of a commercial airliner taking off.

Had my 71 only up to about 85-90...My 88 I did 130 on the Pa turnpike coming back from Carlisle. Yup I know its wrong but I did.

90 is the magic speed on my 68. The air dynamics radically changes. You can actually feel the car suck down closer to the road surface and then it feels like your riding on a rail.

Anybody not been at least 100mph in their corvette? Its almost like doing 55mph in my C3, it runs right up to it and past...................

Unofficially. I had mine to 132mph on my way to Carlisle running next to a 66 drop top. We picked up each other on the PA. Turnpike about 6:30am and were playing nice, passing back and forth and then it hit us. The next thing I know, the engine was screaming and my nephew was studying the speedo. How we didn't get picked up is a miracle. I told him if he ever discussed with my bro-in law, I'd say he was fabricating. It's always been our secret and a great time. By the way, there was more left in the peddle.

If I have my foot seriously into it, mine shifts into fourth gear at about 115 MPH. Never took it past that.

I saw about 112, took 12.7 seconds to get there according to the time slip, she was still pulling VERY hard, but after the traps there is nowhere to go :(

My best to-date is 13.935 @ 99.14, but she'll do 100 easy (it has 3.73s, and I am trapping at just 5000 RPM in 3rd, locking-out 4th/OD)

CorvetteOSW08NightofFire.jpg

I realize that this is a C3 thread, but think that speed and acceleration is fitting for any Corvette. Below is my favorite paragraph in my C6 Owners Manual. I'm not sure if this is something that has been in past Corvette manuals or not, but again my favorite.

Floor Mats
Make sure that the driver side floor mat is properly placed on the floor so that it does not block the movement of the accelerator pedal.

You have to love a car company that puts that of information in the owners manual now days.

lets see 12.18 but trap speed of 118.9. Need drag slicks but then the breakage starts so it slip and slide all the way. LOL

custom built, custom built 3speed auto, 3.73 gears, street 770 holley carb though(Wife cannot start a grant!)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom