Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 140 mph speedo original in 1980?

93 PoloGreen

Corvette
1993 Polo Green Coupe: 1980 L82 fire engine red
I have a 1980 L82 with a 140 mph speedo. I was told the car is 100% original, but from what I've read all 1980s came with 85 mph speedos. Some one thought a company made 140 mph speedo replacements, but mine looks original (symbols and such). This car was originally sold in the states and delivered in the UK, but it isn't an export car from what I can tell (no KM speedo).

Any body else have a 140 mph speedo in a 1980? Thanks.:D

I've never heard of a stock 140 mph speedometer in a 1980.
I know there are people that make ones that look original (decals, labels, everything looks stock).
It's a safe bet someone replaced the speedometer.

your car might have been born prior to this so im not sure but here is the section and quote on the law

Among the standards considered was Safety Standard
No. 127, Speedometers and Odometers (49 CFR 571.127).
... The speedometer requirements became effective on
September 1, 1979.

The rule was officially revoked effective March 25, 1982.

that ruling under president carter was that speedometers could not exceed 85mph

As I recall :)

The change to the 85mph speedometer took place late production of the 1979 Corvette. I ordered a 1980 4-speed back then and it came with the 85mph speedometer ;)

I feel pretty safe saying that All 1980's came from St. Louis with the 85mph speedometer ;)

I just checked the Corvette Black Book and it confirms what I thought
"The 85-mph speedometers required for the 1980 models were used in some late build 1979 production."

Guess some of the ole memory cells still exist :D

Bud

My 80 , In South Africa has a 140 mph speedo and it has never been changed.

[quote=Rodney Gold;892050]My 80 , In South Africa has a 140 mph speedo and it has never been changed.[/quote]

Hello Rodney. Was your 80 purchased in the US by an overseas dealer and shipped to South Africa (GMODC = General Motors Overseas Distribution Corp)? This was how my car was purchased/sold in England. It was sold thru a dealer in Charleston, South Carolina, USA and delivered thru GMODC to a buyer in England. I have seen a Canada export car (1978 I believe) with a KM speedo, but I'm not sure about cars bound for other foreign countries like England or South Africa.

Also, does SA show MPH or KM/H as speed limits? Thanks.

GM Sa represented Chev and Holden (also called Chev here in SA) They brought in Vettes and Camaros and I believe bought them directly from GM. There was no law to say speedos should be in kph in 1980 , tho we are metric and were so at the time.

We cannot bring in LHD cars any more. And imported cars entertain a 120% extra duty.......

I have changed the speedo myself , to white , but still have the original (I have made a new instrument binnacle to hold the new speedo dial, new light lenses and a Autometer rev counter)
The really odd thing is that according to the VIN the car is NOT a L82 , but the speedo says L82 and I have pics taken by the original owner shortly after he got it new , that shows the speedo dial.
Anyway I have highly modified the car , as I feel the 80 isnt a collectible and would rather have the power to go with its very good looks .......Racing seats and harnesses , a stunning gold pearl paint job, a hi po mill 375hp, headers , performance exhaust, 3.55 rear end , 2000 stall, all new gauges , modified th350 , deleted air con and so forth. Very nice to drive and does occasional strip duty. There are very few floating around South Africa , so get a lot of attention and good comments.

Thanks for all the info. Car was built in April 1980, so later than start of fed regulation.

Pix of my 1980 L82 speedo. Does this look like a standard 140 mph speedo with corvette symbol above the odometer? Anyone know what an aftermarket 140 mph speedo looks like?

Thanks.

...I have a 1980 L82 with a 140 mph speedo....

I have a numbers matching '80 L-82 built on 3/3/80. It has an 85 mph speedo.

140 mph speedos are available in the aftermarket. Corvette Black Book says the 85 mph speedo was required by law on the 80 models and was installed on some late build 79s.

:)

Thanks for all the info. Car was built in April 1980, so later than start of fed regulation.

Pix of my 1980 L82 speedo. Does this look like a standard 140 mph speedo with corvette symbol above the odometer? Anyone know what an aftermarket 140 mph speedo looks like?

Thanks.
:w PoloGreen,

Take a look at the insigna on your speedometer, then compare it to the Tach insigna ;) From the picture you posted, I'm betting your speedometer is an aftermarket one ;) You'll see what I mean when you compare both insigna's..

The flagging for the 1980 & 1981 are different than what is shown in the photo ;)

Bud

Thanks.

looks like the ecklers rebuild

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom