Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1963 body mount shims

kbuhagiar

Corvette
1963 Convertible 327/300 3TL
Hello, all,
I am in the process of re-assembling my '63 roadster. The car has been apart for a quite a while, and back when I lifted the body I neglected to keep track of the body mount shims. I now know that it was a **really** dumb thing to do...Going forward, is there any way I can figure out how many shims belong at each body mounting point?
I'm not sure if any of the factory paint marks are still on the frame rails, but I'm assuming the worst...
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There are several approaches to this, and Noland Adams answered the same question several months ago in one of the Corvette magazines - can't remember which one. Try the websites for "Vette" ( http://www.vetteweb.com/archives/features/0502_features01c.shtml#top1 ) and "Corvette Fever" ( http://www.corvettefever.com/ ). As I remember, the approach was to use 2 or 3 at each of the four mounts at the corners of the passenger compartment, then shim at the radiator support and at the rear mounts to get the best door-to-fender and door-to-quarter fit lines.

Exactly, JohnZ. The article was in Corvette Fever, April 2000 issue.

Use about 3 at each of the 6 mounts surrounding the passenger compartment, then lower the body and tighten those bolts just a bit more than finger-tight (snugged, not torqued-down). Fill in any shim gaps in those 6 mounts by adding shims and torque those mounts. Then juggle the doors (if they were removed, the hinges have to be shimmed, and that's more art than science). Once the door is reasonably in place, the mounts at the radiator and the rear wheel kickups are shimmed to get an even vertical gap between the body and the front & rear of the doors. Then shim the rearmost mounts to fill any gaps.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom