Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1967 Power Steering Pump Leaks

paul67

Corvette
1974 convertible
One of the joys of storing a car in winter for six months of each year is discovering how many leaks you have in the spring. It appears that my power steering pump is doing just that. Lost about two ounces since I brought the car home. Are those units available from GM or the likes of UAP/NAPA? I really would like to find a source in Canada. The cross-border brokerage fees, shipping, etc. do tend to wear me out.

*Edit* - Is this a Chevrolet or Corvette part? We all know the drill re differential pricing.

paul67 said:
One of the joys of storing a car in winter for six months of each year is discovering how many leaks you have in the spring. It appears that my power steering pump is doing just that. Lost about two ounces since I brought the car home. Are those units available from GM or the likes of UAP/NAPA? I really would like to find a source in Canada. The cross-border brokerage fees, shipping, etc. do tend to wear me out.

*Edit* - Is this a Chevrolet or Corvette part? We all know the drill re differential pricing.

Paul,

Go to your local "Auto Parts " and ask them for the power steering pump conditioner from " Lucas Oil ". It's guaranteed to stop your leaks, or they will gladly refund your money. If you can't find any locally, give me a call and I'll send you a bottle through the postal service.

Stepinwolf

Stepinwolf is correct about the Lucas Oil power steering pump conditioner. I put some in mine last year due to a small leak and it stopped it.

Canadian Tire has the Lucas product. I will give it a try today. Thanks!

Be careful if you have Hydro_Boost Brakes!! I had a small leak in my hauling truck Power Steering with Hydro-Boost and put some in it and it stopped the Leak Immediately, and had never thought a thing about it till about a week later and I was heading down the hill to the Highway and hit the Brakes as hard as I always do to STOP it!! And Knocked out my Two front teeth on the steering wheel!! This Stuff WORK's!!:upthumbs

gmjunkie said:
Be careful if you have Hydro_Boost Brakes!! I had a small leak in my hauling truck Power Steering with Hydro-Boost and put some in it and it stopped the Leak Immediately, and had never thought a thing about it till about a week later and I was heading down the hill to the Highway and hit the Brakes as hard as I always do to STOP it!! And Knocked out my Two front teeth on the steering wheel!! This Stuff WORK's!!:upthumbs

I'm confused.......... how would putting something into the power steering pump to stop leaks effect braking?? They are two different systems

BarryK said:
I'm confused.......... how would putting something into the power steering pump to stop leaks effect braking?? They are two different systems
No Barry, some vehicles have Hydro-Boost Brakes!! Runs off Power steering Pump instead of a Vacuum Booster!! Mostly Big Block and diesel engines because they have lower vacuum !! I didn't think about it cleaning up and conditioning the Hydro-Boost break system!! I barley have to push brake peddle now or truck will Lock them Up!! It's a 1985 C 30 and it Stops Like new now!!:upthumbs

OK, sucked some fluid out, yes with a gas hose orally into a margarine container (no further comment but it works). And topped up with Lucas to cold fill level. Cleaned the garage floor and the car with Simple Green. Ran the car up to operating temps. We shall see.

I was careful to not suck it up. But the resident Molson Canadian on the side was just fine.

BarryK said:
thanks Junk, I didn't know that.
always nice to learn something new :)

Barry, here is what they look like once installed. This unit is in my 65 red roadster, and you have no idea what power brakes are, until you have tried one of these. I have since been obliged to set-up a seat restraint for the passenger side, because if I happen to be traveling alone, any sudden stops will bury the passenger seat back, under the glove compartment door.

It's wicked,,

Stepinwolf

booster2.JPG

stepinwolf said:
Barry, here is what they look like once installed. This unit is in my 65 red roadster, and you have no idea what power brakes are, until you have tried one of these. I have since been obliged to set-up a seat restraint for the passenger side, because if I happen to be traveling alone, any sudden stops will bury the passenger seat back, under the glove compartment door.

It's wicked,,

Stepinwolf

booster2.JPG

I've never seen anything like that before. Obviously I know what a standard power brake booster looks like but i've never seen a setup that looked that that before so I guess I've never come across these Hydro-boost brake systems before.
If they really work that well why weren't they more common, or are they and i'm just an idiot for not being aware of them?

so instead of the power brake booster running off manifold vacuum this type of system is run off the power steering pump. I guess I can see why it would be more powerful of a system - I'd imagine the hydrylic system can give a lot more power assist than a vacuum system can.

Stepinwolf,
I've said it before but I'll say it again. Your engineering skills make me feel SO, SO humble.

paul67 said:
Stepinwolf,
I've said it before but I'll say it again. Your engineering skills make me feel SO, SO humble.

Paul, Barry,

These systems are readily available, easy to install, and a lot safer then any vacuum booster. On more then one occasion with my Corvette, after having driven off without letting the car warm up, I reached the first intersection only to have the engine stall out, leaving me with no power, and halfway through the intersection, before being able to bring the car to a complete stop.

No more of that for me with this type of brake booster. Once the engine is turned off, the power remains in the braking system for three to four complete stops.

Also when compared to the price of dentures, this type of booster is a lot cheaper, not to mention the front fiberglass on your Corvette. Were I the only one traveling these roads, there would never be a problem, however it is becoming more and more difficult, to try and figure out what the idiot in front of my is going to do. This is just one more thing I have on my side to make driving more enjoyable, not to mention safer.

Check out the following website, and e-mail one of the most pleasant resellers ( his name is Paul ) in the Corvette aftermarket that you will ever have the pleasure of meeting. :)

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/

Stepinwolf

BarryK said:
so instead of the power brake booster running off manifold vacuum this type of system is run off the power steering pump. I guess I can see why it would be more powerful of a system - I'd imagine the hydraulic system can give a lot more power assist than a vacuum system can.

The pressure applied to a vacuum booster on the MC is said to be about 800 to 900 lbs. These Hydraulic boosters develop around 2700 lbs of pressure, so you should not be surprised at how effective they are in bring your Corvette to a short, safe , stop. :D

Stepinwolf

BarryK said:
If they really work that well why weren't they more common, or are they and i'm just an idiot for not being aware of them?

They're very common in the truck world, Barry, where all that weight wants to keep the vehicle moving forward.

It's something like this or the driver has to stand on the brake pedal and push against the roof. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom