Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1969 427 Stingray - Lake Pipes

paulbelk

Corvette
'69 Le Mans Blue 427 Stingray
Good day all,
First, thanks for the help you have indirectly given me, your contributions to the forum have helped me solve many problems!

Secondly, I have a question regarding lake pipes (or side exhaust) for my 69 427 stingray, our roads in England are pretty bad and my existing exhaust pipes bottom out constantly - so I am researching switching them out for lake pipes. Has anyone got a feel on the best manufacturer / brand to go for? My preference is for a set with a shroud so my wife and kids (but more likely me) don't burn themselves. Are they essentially a bolt on part? Or are there modifications which need to take place to the body work to fit?

Further more, my exhaust manifolds are cast, and looking a bit manky, so I was planning on changing the whole system for stainless while I was at it - is this an "easy" switch? Or is is an engine out job?

I suspect regardless of the ones I chose, I will be ordering them from the US, so any hints/tips/ideas would be really welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Last edited:
Good day Paul!

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center! :w

I swear by HOOKER headers,wouldn't use anything else. I bought a unmolested 68 L71 4spd from the original owner 40 years ago. then I made it my own. I recall I had to cut the bottom trim piece/ rocker panel, some to clear.Ya gota take that off anywat 1st to use the pipe hangers. also went with a tad more lift with a general kinetics cam,bronze valve guides, Hurst shiftier & a tarantula manifold etc,etc..Drove it daily on the streets of Philly.Thet pic was taken when me & the future wife were looking for a house in NJ. The Stingray was added by the previous owner, he had a 65 before that & was a neighbor.
68 corvette.jpg

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom