Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1972 -454

manager16150

What is the best way to tell if my numbers matching motor and trans. are for real or have been faked some how.
thanks
Mike;shrug

The #1 best way of knowing the numbers are not restamps would have been to have purchased the car new and be the original owner. :)

Can you post a picture of the pad?

Is there a story here? Do you have reason to believe the pad has been restamped?

The #1 best way of knowing the numbers are not restamps would have been to have purchased the car new and be the original owner. :)

Can you post a picture of the pad?

Is there a story here? Do you have reason to believe the pad has been restamped?

I just bought the car and it is being shipped from CA to PA will take about 2 weeks I can get a picture then. I guess I just got concerned when I paid more for a numbers matching and now have found out that some people are doing restamps. That is not to say that this has happened just concerned.

Even then, there are documented examples of factory restamps that look like bubba was on a drunken rampage.

The art of identifying a real, original engine pad is extremely complex.

BTW- 'numbers match' doesn't guarantee that it's the original engine. You'll have very little recourse against the seller if the engine is a restamp.

I really wouldn't be to concerned until you get the car and can do some serious research on your own. The car is already on its way so it seems there is no turning back now anyway. Expect it to be a numbers matching car then double check to make sure that what you were told and thought is correct. If you have any questions, many of us can help you or point you in the right direction. Good luck and keep us posted...

Do you have any documentation coming w/ the car ?
If you join the NCRS, they have some material that will help determine if your pad has been decked then stamped. I joined last month, baught $200 worth of books, lots of information..
Good luck.. Jim

72 454 matching?

thanks everyone, I will wait until the car gets here to better check it out and let eveyone know what I find out. I really think it will be OK, he was the second owner and seems trustworthy. If not I may have recorse through e-bay.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom