Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1973 Yj-8 Cast Aluminum Wheel Numbers

AJ68Z28

Corvette
1973 L-82 COUPE, 1976 Coupe, 1990 ZR-1
Yj-8 Wheel Numbers

Hey Guy's,

I own a 73 L-82 coupe with the YJ-8 wheels,(5) five including the spare. As so much controversy exists as to the actual production of vette's leaving the factory with these wheels , can anyone tell me the specific numbers and their location on the wheel itself,so I might authenticate them as being true 73's.

I have been told maybe 800 sets left the factory in 73, but they included a steel rim for the spare. I have 5 and the car is a late production model. Any help, anyone?

THANX
GREGG;worship ;worship

Gregg,

First of all, welcome to the :CAC!

Actually, only 4 sets of those wheels were ever shipped and it's unclear what really happened to them. They were dropped due to concerns over strength and I believe recalled but that doesn't mean they were actually turned in. Tom73 is the resident 73 nut and may have more info on this.

When the wheels reapeared in 76, the option number was the same. I'm sure someone here has the date codes but chances are your wheels are either aftermarket or off of a newer car. The fact that you have a late production car kinda makes me lean towards them being non original.

Do you have a build sheet or window sticker for the car?

Thanks for the reply. No, I do not have either documents,as dropping the gas tank would be a bit much. If they are 76's fine, I would just like to confirm what they really are. The prior owner bought the car some 20 plus years ago with the wheels on it and truly believes they are correct. He had them polished but did not think to investigate the issue.

With any luck maybe someone can give me the info i seek, thanks again for the reply--You guy's are great!

Gregg

Thought of something else, the option in 73 included locking lug nuts. Does your car have these?

- Eric:w

Dang, another thought! Get your paws on an NCRS Judging Manual. You'll probably need both the 73-74 Manual and the 75-77 Manual to get the numbers for both sets of wheels.

YES , that is a big 10/4.

gregg

I edited the title of the thread to hopefully catch more attention from 73 and/or aluminum rim owners.

ordered both today,

thanx
gregg

thank you, this is a matter i really would like to resolve,for if not anything else my own "peace of mind"

gregg

AJ68Z28 said:
ordered both today,

thanx
gregg

You will be amazed at the amount of detail contained in those books. Even the smallest items are documented and though they won't help you fix anything, they will certainly help you figure out what it and what isn't the way it should be.

eric,

I can't wait for them to get here ,because if they (the wheels) are what I think they are I may have something really unique.

Gregg

AJ68Z28 said:
He had them polished but did not think to investigate the issue.

Gregg

One thing to think about is that the aluminum wheels through 1979 had a brushed finish and the 1980-1982 wheels had a highly polished finish.

Tom

GREGG,
The casting number for the '73 wheels were "329381". This can be seen on the inside as well as the letters "XM" and the date code which is found on a raised circular boss. The date code is cast in a circular pattern, a typical code would be "42273", 4th month, 22nd day, 1973. The lug nuts are also unique for the 73 aluminum wheels, they have a recessed center section on the head of the nut that is painted black.

This is from the NCRS JG.

tom...

Tom Bryant said:
One thing to think about is that the aluminum wheels through 1979 had a brushed finish and the 1980-1982 wheels had a highly polished finish.
Tom

Yup, and the 78 pace car version has a red line around the lip of the rim.

Thanks TOM & SHARK,

Now that I know where and what to look for, I will be breaking down at least 2 for inspection. If they (date codes) correspond with my VIN#, Well, I guess I will be dropping a gas tank to verify and confirm.

I feel like a kid on a treasure hunt!

Thanks again.
GREGG

Gregg,
Don't believe that you have to break them down to see the numbers (at least I don't think so). :D The numbers should be on the backside surface, not inside the tire between the beads. Just pull the wheel and see what is there on the back side.

tom...

Tom,

I just took the rear tire off and you were right, there were all the numbers.I just removed the one as it looks like they are not 73 vintage. I can not find a date number that makes sence so the closest I can tell is that they are 76's??????????

Here is what it said;

KELSEY HAYES MADE IN MEXICO

KH 301008

SB3PC3

5JJX800

And last but not least on the very outer rim I found what appeared to be a DB stamp or a U8 or UB. Looks like a DB to me?

Thanks,
gregg

there was only 4 sold.....the problem was in parocity...im sure ive spelled it wrong....in laymans terms.....they were not airtight and deflated due to the surface finish of the alloy.....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom