Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1977 Oil Presure gauge and Altimeter Gauge Readings

akbigbear

Corvette
1977 L-82, Shiny Silver
What is the normal operating range for the oil pressure gauge and for the volt gauge?

With the engine warmed-up, you should see 20-30 psi at idle, and 40-50 psi on the highway. Never saw a (factory) altimeter in a Corvette; set it at 29.92" Hg. and buckle up! :D

:beer

Altimeter in a car???

What is the normal operating range for the oil pressure gauge and for the altimeter gauge?

I have never heard of an altimeter being installed on any car before. I know that the Corvette has been and currently is cutting edge for the latest in automotive technology, but an altimeter. Not sure why one would really need an altimeter in a car, an airplane definitely. I would think that the altimeter should be reading what ever the altitude or elevation that the car is above/below see level.

I have never heard of an altimeter being installed on any car before. I know that the Corvette has been and currently is cutting edge for the latest in automotive technology, but an altimeter. Not sure why one would really need an altimeter in a car, an airplane definitely. I would think that the altimeter should be reading what ever the altitude or elevation that the car is above/below see level.

I am allowed to be embarrased right?

I own a plane too but I meant Volt Meter!!! Let me crawl into my hole but does anyone know what the Volt gauge should read under normal conditions?

I am allowed to be embarrased right?

I own a plane too but I meant Volt Meter!!! Let me crawl into my hole but does anyone know what the Volt gauge should read under normal conditions?

Yes, I guess you can be embarrassed. I know that Corvettes can fly, but I thought that was only horzontally (haul a$$). Any vertical flying should be left to machines equipped to do such as your plane.

The digital readout on the driver information center on my C6 varies between 14.0 to 14.6 volts. I guess it depends on the number of electrical systems running (i.e. headlights, heated seats, rear window defogger, etc.) putting a load on the charing system and how much the battery is charged.

To get a digital read out of your charging system purchase a digital read out multimeter, with the engine running simply check the voltage at the battery.

The Volt gauge is normally 1.7 -2.6 Volts above 12 Volt battery, which means it should read 13.7 - 14.6 Volts depending on the load on it.
After cranking, it will charge higher to replace the charge lost from starting.
With lights, defrosters, brakes on, it will also charge higher.
But with nothing on at cruising speed after a few miles it will be around 13.7V.

You stated that "you should see 20-30 psi at idle, and 40-50 psi on the highway" well after putting in my new oil pump about 6 months ago I now have about 80 psi of oil at speed and it drops down to about 35 to 45 at idle when the car is warm. What if any kind of problems will this cause me? MY gage is pegged to the right most of the time but you do see movement down as the RPM's drop.

You stated that "you should see 20-30 psi at idle, and 40-50 psi on the highway" well after putting in my new oil pump about 6 months ago I now have about 80 psi of oil at speed and it drops down to about 35 to 45 at idle when the car is warm. What if any kind of problems will this cause me? MY gage is pegged to the right most of the time but you do see movement down as the RPM's drop.
I'm interested in seeing the responses to this....
:confused

Well I have to say I put the pump in but when I ordered it from Melling I thought I was ordering the standard pump and not the high pressure one, I guess I got the high pressure one, do you think this could be the cause of some of my oil leaks? Would the higher pressure cause leaks?

Well I have to say I put the pump in but when I ordered it from Melling I thought I was ordering the standard pump and not the high pressure one, I guess I got the high pressure one, do you think this could be the cause of some of my oil leaks? Would the higher pressure cause leaks?
I agree. I ordered the Melling Standard Pressure Standard Volume Oil Pump and receive the same results. No problems encountered so far after 6 weeks.

This is why I asked the question.

I asked this question for the exact same reason!!

I am getting the exact same psi at idle and the same psi on the highway under normal driving conditions. The difference is that I have a new delco oil pump in my car?

Should not hurt anything at all. It will not cause leaks, anywhere there is a gasket or a seal, the oil is usually being thrown around the valve cover or running back into the pan by the timing chain, just for examples, the only exception being is the oil filter seal, but this is usually tight enough to not cause any issues.
Modern engines run very high pressures, by intent. A high volume pump will leave a little more oil around the top end of the engine while operating, but the sump is sufficient and the return passages are large enough to keep plenty of oil circulating.
As far as the voltmeter, it should read to the right of center (around 13-14 volts) with no accessories on and the engine running. With the headlights running, the wipers on, and the heater fan running, the voltage may drop down to a little under 13 volts, again with the engine running. This will keep your battery charged.
Try not to worry so much and enjoy your Corvette.

Cheers

Richard

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom