Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1980 vette header gasket: Whats best one you used? HELP

zackm58941

Corvette
1980 Corvette
thats teh same set up i have. i'd aslo recommend some high quality collector gaskets and stage 8 bolts. I used the paper collector gaskets and had to replace them. I also used the bolts that came with the headers, and replaced them as well, since they constatly were backing out.

I placed the order and got everything for $169.80 shipped. I kinda wish i would have gotten the ceramic coating but that can always be done at a later time, plus i dont have to worry about damaging the coating during instalation. I think i'll take your advice on the stage 8 bolts and collector gaskets. I figured the percey's aluminum gaskets are way better than the ones that come with the kit and would be a good investment. The collector gaskets and bolts should be okay for the remainder of the year right, i mean it'll probably be snowing by thanksgiving here in roch. new york.

The best way to tighten the headers to the head down is to start in the middle and work your way out right? Probably go to 1/2 specs at first then go around again to full torque specs to seat everything properly, sound good? Oh, and would you happen to know the proper torque specs for the header bolts to the head and the collector bolts? For the percey's alum. gasket, which side goes to the headers, the side with the dashes in them or the opposite way? Should any prep work be done to the headers or heads first? Whats the best way to measure the y-pipe to cut it so that it will fit to the collectors when the headers are all installed? Sorry for all the q's but this is my first header instal. Thanks for all the help!!

those are better than the paper ones. I had to soak the paper ones in water for a few hours or over night if I forgot about them. They would crush down then conform to the flange when they dryed out but still not as good of a gasket as the one shown above.

I forget the torque numbers or the order. I believe the instructions with the headers will have them. I put my gaskets so that the side facing up in the pic, faced teh header. As for prep work, just make sure you have a clean flat surface. The gaskets will take care of any little imperfections.

I dunno the best way to measure the Y pipe. I replaced my entire system. One guy i know, just cut them at and ran some of that cheap flexible pipe from the header to the gasket.

take a look at this link, it should answer most of yoru install questions.

http://corvetteforums.net/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=1196032491&f=5026032691&m=8586048163

finally, make sure you fire it up with open headers. it'll be music to your ears.

Thanks for the help everyone! That article is pretty good but doesnt say much for how to measure to cut the y-pipe. I'll probably cut the pipes right after they straighten out from where they bolt-up for the front y-pipe & manifolds, once the headers and collectors are installed i'll just hold up the reaming section and mark for my cuts. I think it will work but what size is the collector that mates to the front y-pipe and whats the y-pipe's pipe diameter? Thanks all!

Well I just got my order today from Summit Racing and as I was checking to make sure everything was there, turns out Dynomax or someone who re-packed the box forgot to put in the bolt kit for the headers and collectors and the collectors/reducers. Just got off the phone with them and they are going to send out everything that I need next day shipping so everything is still looking good for the weekend install. At least they made good on everything and hopfully everything that was missing shows up. Oh, the instructions dont have torque specs for the header bolts or the collectors, does anyone have any specs for me?? I'll let everyone know how it went when its all said and done.

Zack

Well I installed the headers this weekend. I spent about 30 mins preping the header flanges to make sure they were perfect. All went well but it was a little tight getting everything in place. The driver side went in okay and just had to remove the clutch crossover linkage but the passenger side was real fun. I didnt take off the starter or dipstick assembly but I got it in, just pulled the dipctick out and bent the tube just enough to get the flange over it and they dropped right in. The percey's gaskets were money well spent and I have no leaks what so ever, even with the kit's "cheapo" collector gaskets. I started it up with just the headers on and I can say is that I had a smile from ear to ear. It was a farily easy install but it sucks not having a lift, so sore from crawling from underneath the car to the top so many times but it was worth it. Better low end and mid range and sounds great past 3,000 rpm's. I should have bought the ceramic coated set but its water over the damn... I was a little dissapointed that Dynomax did't have torque specs for the header bolts or the collector bolts but I put the header bolts at 25 ft/lbs and collector bolts at 20 ft/lbs.The A/C mounting bracket is deffinetly going back, I just cut off the part where the stock mount bolted to the manifold and put it back on, it has more than enough support in any direction without the one extra bolt, so that it going back to Summit. Here's a few pics I took. Thanks fro all the help everyone, I really appreciate it!!! Zack

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom