Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1981 Corvette

C

chigger417

I am new to this so I hope I do it right. I would like to do away with the computer in my 1981 Vette, I would like to get rid of the carb and distributor and just go back to a regular carb and HEI distributor, simple and dependable. Can any one tell me the steps I need to take to do this, I would like to do a different intake manifold with an Edelbrock carb and new distributor. Any help or advice would be appreciated Thanks in advance D.J. Hall

1st Welcome to CAC!
enjoy the forums...
stop the new member section and introduce yourself!!!!

2nd be sure to stop by the L-'81 forums and register your vette...

as far as your request do a search here on the forums...
I believe this question has been asked in the past.
and I'm sure you will find your answer in the old threads
good luck....

Chigger-

Many people have done the conversion you're mentioning, but it was done to fix seemingly complex problems and not to gain performance. A new manifold and distributor will not give more HP and the Edelbrock carb is a step backwards in technology. A lot of money spent with little or no gain.

Welcome DJ. The swap is straight forward. Just unplug the connectors to the dizzy and carb and install your new stuff. The CCC also controls the lockup torque converter if you have a auto trans so you'll have to the leave the fred flintstone computer pluged in or just do without the lockup feature. The only issue is the check engine light will stay on as long as the ccc is operating. I unplugged the bulb for a few years until I removed the entire system. Some sencors need to remain for the lockup to operate but there also ways around that too. Good luck

Is there any reason other than performance that you want to change out the CCC? Check engine light on? There are plenty of people that can help you fix that

The CCC is nowhere near the limiting factor in performance. First is the exhaust, spend money on true dual exhausts. Then are the heads, Get a good set of heads. The CCC will keep up with both of those. If you are not happy after that, then a new cam, at that time the ECM begins to get confused when the vacuum starts to get to low, but there are ways to fix that

This will be controversial, but the stock CCC will provide almost as good as the performance as any other quadrajet. No need to spend money on fixing something thAts not broke

I rebuilt and set my E4ME carb up per Michael Levesque's and Lar's Grimsrud's modification's specs. I'm using the stock manifold. I installed a Hypertec chip in the ECM and DUI distibutor. I installed 2.50" duals with a bowtie crossmember. Don't know how much horsepower I gained, but it will smoke the tires really good from a dead stop. Pretty good for a almost stock L48/81. Quadrajet Modifications
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/How_to_Rebuild_a_Rochester_Quadrajet_4MV_Carburetor
How to Rebuild and Modify Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors by Cliff Ruggles Book

Attachments

• DSCF2902.jpg
    DSCF2902.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF1964.jpg
    DSCF1964.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF2908.jpg
    DSCF2908.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom