Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 For Sale (Yoda's)

Yoda

Administrator
Corvette
1981 UL5
I do this exercise every so often, most times it's like spitting into the wind, but ya just never know...

I learned not to list it with all those Internet Corvette/Car sites... my gawd I never saw so many unread-a-ble emails and spam generated from those ad's :nono :nono more...

So let me be up front here... NOTHING LESS THAN $16,000 is considered as an offer!! It is more like an INSULT, esp. with the documentation and condition of this car.

I would not be afraid to get in it tonight and leave for either coast and average between 19 ~ 21 mpg...

I won't go into all that has been restored or replaced, other than to say everything from the back bumper to the front bumper has either been restored, replaced as needed. I have 11 pages of Excel spreadsheets and complete documentation from the first owner, second owner and now me. Hard copy receipts dating back to original delivery, along with all material (Books e.g. tires warranty etc.) that was delivered with the car.

So here we go, I let this run about a month then erase it.. This is NOT a fixer upper, nor do I need to sell RARE... but the right person out there could really enjoy a very nice 4-Speed original mileage (73,000) 1981 Corvette!!

Original Window Sticker
windowsticker.jpg

Original Owners Package
documentse.jpg

New Carpet 2000
carpet01.jpg

At Bowling Green CORVETTE Plant 2001
factoryrare02pr0.jpg

At Colorado Springs CAC CruiseFest 2007
rarecos01apw3.jpg

Speedometer
speedometeraa.jpg

By yoda_ at 2012-05-18​

Bud

Good luck Bud. I know its a tough decision, one I just made.
Thanks Bob,

I've done this dance a couple of times since we got the '03... RARE is just near and dear to me to let it go for the price of a so so 1981... she is a hell of alot more car than most out there, I KNOW I did a lot of the work on her and I PAID for the rest :eek

It probably would be easier to sell the Anniversary Convertible... we don't drive either one much anymore..

State "Safety Inspection" on RARE showed I drove her all of 43 miles last year, and ABBY got driven all of 114 miles or so... that was for the entire year :eek sad I know...

Thanks for the response, and by the way ... It is good to see ya back here and posting :dance

Bud

Thanks for the welcome back.

I thought about keeping the 77 and buying another, and other than the wife saying no, I wasn't driving it at all. So she went off to a good home.

I do this exercise every so often, most times it's like spitting into the wind, but ya just never know...

I learned not to list it with all those Internet Corvette/Car sites... my gawd I never saw so many unread-a-ble emails and spam generated from those ad's :nono :nono more...

So let me be up front here... NOTHING LESS THAN $16,000 is considered as an offer!! It is more like an INSULT, esp. with the documentation and condition of this car.

I would not be afraid to get in it tonight and leave for either coast and average between 19 ~ 21 mpg...

I won't go into all that has been restored or replaced, other than to say everything from the back bumper to the front bumper has either been restored, replaced as needed. I have 11 pages of Excel spreadsheets and complete documentation from the first owner, second owner and now me. Hard copy receipts dating back to original delivery, along with all material (Books e.g. tires warranty etc.) that was delivered with the car.

So here we go, I let this run about a month then erase it.. This is NOT a fixer upper, nor do I need to sell RARE... but the right person out there could really enjoy a very nice 4-Speed original mileage (73,000) 1981 Corvette!!

Original Window Sticker
windowsticker.jpg

Original Owners Package
documentse.jpg

New Carpet 2000
carpet01.jpg

factoryrare02pr0.jpg

rarecos01apw3.jpg

Speedometer
speedometeraa.jpg

By yoda_ at 2012-05-18​

Bud

Yoda...
If i could express in words how perfect I find your car to be I would... Interior/Exterior colors, 4 spd and tons of documentation.... I hope whoever has the privilege to own it holds up their end of the bargain to keep it as you have... This vehicle needs an owner who respects the responsibility of owning such a car... hopefully that will happen! Wish I had the dough...

Thank You russlg :thumb

Hey Dwayne... Notice the Corvette Plant sign.... that was after maytag and before Cadillac.. ;) Back when it was a Corvette ONLY plant, ya remember... :D :happyanim: ;LOL

Bud
smiley-lurk.gif

Very nice 81 vette

Hope ours turn out to this nice but we do not have any of the original paper work. Good luck with the sell

Original Window Sticker
windowsticker.jpg

Original Owners Package
documentse.jpg

New Carpet 2000
carpet01.jpg

factoryrare02pr0.jpg

rarecos01apw3.jpg

Speedometer
speedometeraa.jpg

By yoda_ at 2012-05-18​

Bud

I have seen this Vette in person several times.

I can attest to this fact: One of the nicest C3s out there. Anyone could purchase this Vette, drive to a car show and win an award.

This Vette is sweet! :thumb

And the documentation just makes it that much sweeter! :upthumbs

Good luck with the sale, my friend.

While driving your Vette today, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

Hey Bud.........

rare_withyoda_andtext.jpg

rareandyodaavatar.jpg

Andy :w

So far Andy you are right! Not even a nibble :chuckle

Next week or the week of November 19th I will head down to DMV get RARE renewed for another year. This also requires a "Texas State Safety Inspection" so that means she gets out to kick up her heals and let the young guys down at the inspections/quick oil change shop fight over who gets to drive her to test the breaks, hell they even argue over who gets to pull her into the inspection bay... ;LOL ;LOL

Sure puts a smile on my face, esp. when they see the For Sale Sign in the back area.. Their eyes light up and then the ask... I tell them I what I am asking for it, then tell them to make me an offer, it might be something I would consider.. They all just look at RARE... .. then back at me and all I see is LUST in their eyes... :) So far, they just drool and dream ..

This year I know I put more than 48 miles on her... :chuckle :chuckle We took RARE to the MidPoint Cafe on Rt. 66 (Adrian, Texas about 46 miles from Amarillo...)
030415024.jpg

030415027.jpg

The MidPoint Cafe is famous for their Pies, esp the Ugly Pie which has more rich chocolate than Hershey could stuff into a tin foil rapper... hmm delicious too, and their Breakfasts are huge and as good as their Hamburgers.. my mouth is watering as I type this!

Figure rather just bump this I would add a little history lesson too ;LOL and add my recommendation for "MidPoint Cafe" if you are ever in the area :dance :pat

Bud

Good luck with finding the right buyer, Bud. I know how hard it is for you to do this.

BTW, posters went out in the mail yesterday.

So, Yoda, why do you suppose you are having an issue selling this car? There are obviously knowledgable people here and it looks like a nice vehicle.

My neighbor is in the business of restoring cars and I mentioned to him yesterday about buying an older Corvette. His recommendation was to look at 80-82 models, so that's what I'm doing. Sell me on Rare and I'll see what I can do. I have friends in Amarillo that can swing by and look at it.

So, Yoda, why do you suppose you are having an issue selling this car? There are obviously knowledgable people here and it looks like a nice vehicle.

My neighbor is in the business of restoring cars and I mentioned to him yesterday about buying an older Corvette. His recommendation was to look at 80-82 models, so that's what I'm doing. Sell me on Rare and I'll see what I can do. I have friends in Amarillo that can swing by and look at it.
Send your friend to see it and then see what he has to say ;)..

The price is a lot less that I have invested, but that is not anything new to anyone that is anal about doing something right the first time.. The Price gets confused with a lot lesser value 1981's... you or anyone can go buy a $10k or even an $8,500.00 1981 and I guarantee you won't feel save or comfortable driving it from Modesto, CA to Bowling Green, KY 3 times or going out to the shop start it up and go anywhere you want and feel you will get there with no issue's.

The car is solid and anything that was suspect has been changed or fixed, either by me or professionally when it was outside my talents.. Those $10K and $8,500.00 cars can end costing three to four times the purchase price, and that does not count in your own labor and car down time..

PLEASE have your friend contact me, if you are serious... drop me an email rarel81 @ hotmail.com or PM me here and I will send you my phone number and address..

I always get a kick out of the ones that have come saw the car... their eyes light up and they start ... I saw one just like this on Ebay for $10,000 OBO... I tell them better hurry home and start bidding, or they are welcome to come on in the house and use my computer and buy it....., because you ain't buying RARE for that :nono Oh and no one takes RARE for a TEST DRIVE unless her old daddy is riding along...

Come on down :w

Bud

Add Note:
Another thought about why RARE has not sold... I have not advertised anywhere with the exception of here on the Action Center, so exposure is not there. I also think a lot of folks are struggling to get by with the economy as it is now, and there just is not the expendable income as a few years ago ;shrug

Word of mouth around here in Amarillo, has brought a few lookers, and I am rather blunt and somewhat of a curmudgeon, and have told some that I would not even back it out of the shop for them... Then there are those Veterans that would love to have RARE ...at those times I have thought about selling to them at a reduced price. Reality comes back to me.... and... I :pat their service... and give them a sincere Thank You, .... That's more than we received when we came home from Vietnam... so I fall back into my curmudgeon mode and RARE is still here and comfortable being the Queen in here own Shop with her battery tender tickling her "Battery" :eek

Hey Bud,
They do not have to drive the car, they can be the passenger for the brake test.
Mike

I haven't visited CAC for a couple of years since before i sold my 1980 Silver / Claret with 20k miles.
It was perfect. I regret selling it everyday, I was so wrong thinking that feeling would go away.
DO NOT sell your Rare. I see my 1980 about 3 times a year and I dread the times when I know it will
be at the same show as me. It did go to a fantastic home, make me feel some better(thatis a lie).
You have a great 81 DO NOT SELL IT !!!!! ;)

YODA: Is your Speedo stock ? Mine only goes up to 85 MPH.

Attachments

• Red Vette 8500 1981.jpg
    Red Vette 8500 1981.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 108
Your '81

Just curious if you ever sold your '81? I still have my '82 but it is on the block.

NOPASIN said:
YODA: Is your Speedo stock ? Mine only goes up to 85 MPH.
Sorry.... I missed this question... NO the speedometer is an aftermarket. I kept the old 85mph with the original mileage, and had the same number put on the 140 MPH replacement ;)
Big Tex said:
Your '81
Just curious if you ever sold your '81? I still have my '82 but it is on the block.
I didn't sell it, but I have decided NOT TO SELL RARE... I have willed it to my favorite Niece...

Bud

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom