Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1984 problems

mystang

Here is the deal, I am working on a 1984 C4 that has had some issues. Main problem so far is that I am a Ford guy to begin with 2nd is that I am use to diagnosing a 96 or newer vehicle. I use a laptop and hook her up to the OBDII port. Now i have done some diagnosing with older vehicles.

1st issue was a check engine light was on so i did the paper clip trick (I know a few "old school" tricks. (tps sensor voltage low) so replaced sensor and set it at .98V. It has been good to go ever since.

2nd Starter was not working so replaced made sure clearance was correct. Good to go no problems

3rd Rad fan was not coming on so I replaced the Temp switch on the side of the passenger side head. Now fan works.

4th issue OIL ALL OVER THE PLACE. When replacing the starter i got covered in oil and grease up to my shoulder. So he brought it back and i was going to replace the oil pan gasket and while in there not to much farther for the rear main so replaced that. Looking at the top side noticed oil was running down the block over time, so replaced valve cover gaskets. Cranked her up for a few minutes no oil leaks. I let it sit for a week with front end up on jack stand not a drop of oil. So I crank her up to move. I then drive it to make sure all is good, when i park it I notice pool of oil under car. Needless to say WTF :mad. So i look under car oil is dripping from very corner back stud on the oil pan. No oil coming down the pan, no oil at the back of the pan, also just a bit of oil hanging from the starter so i dont believe that it is leaking at the pan gasket that was just replaced, nor the rear main seal that was just replaced. Yes i made sure that the oil filter was tight.

So i figure might be valve covers since the ones i put on there were some what questionable about how they are going to seal. So i get cork gaskets reclean the cover and head apply some rtv to both sides as usual. Crank her up no oil leave it running for I would say about 10 minutes then starts to slowly drip as before. Needless to say I was somewhat pissed so I start searching the interweb and i notice there being issues with the rear intake manifold gasket so I decide to dig into that and it looked like no oil leaking from there. It looked like the dizzy gasket was leaking just a little bit not as much as what was coming to the ground. looked at the temp senor as well as the switch/sending unit that is on the same "log" that is behind the distributor. Now here is the question is there a oil pressure sending unit, and a oil pressure switch?

5th Instrument cluster
Half the time the Tach actually reads on the digital display Also half the time the "back Light " on the tach is not on so you cant see anything when its not on. I have heard about a ambient light sensor? also does anybody have a wiring diagram for the plug or plugs on the instrument cluster?

And I think if I am going to do anything else for him I am going to tell him to get the FSM for this car as I have them for my other cars.

Wow, you really have some issues....right about now is when most Ford guys say to H*** with Chevys. ;)

Well, I'm not going to be much help but have you looked at the intake manifold gaskets? They have a tendency to leak. (Oh sorry I just re-read your post and you tried that).

Not sure where the oil pressure sensor is on those engines, so can't help you there.

The digi-dash is known for doing just what you are describing, several guys have taken them out and re-soldered the connections and got it working right.

Hopefully someone will be along to answer your other questions.

Oh, Welcome to CAC.:w

After I am done with this I get to dig into a yellow 79 but I told him that if you want me to work on that engine (leaking all over the place from every gasket.) that I am going to pull that engine first.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom