Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1987 Vette Convertable

582Boat

Corvette
1999 convertible, 2010 C6
Apparently this Corvette was titled out in Canada and then titled out in USA, it just seems that the odometer should show more than 62,000 miles in the condition it is in. I have had the Dealership that has made repairs faxed me copies of repairs, which included such things as, replaced injectors, alternator, starter, rack and pinion, spark plug wires and all this was done with odometer readings at 51,000 miles. Presently the Vette runs good, have just driven approximately 2,000 miles in the last month, coming from Michigan to Florida. The main problems is that the throttle body butter fly hangs up and you must put your toe under the gas peddle to kick the RPM's down. Thinking that the throttle body will have to be replaced, is there any place that I could purchase a good used one or is there anyone that rebuilds them, and what is the approximate cost. Is there anyway one can get information on this Vette while it was licenced in Canada. I have run a Vin fax on this Vette and it only shows me that it was licensed in Canada and then in USA and some Dealership work orders. Any information would be of help in this research.

Kind of a dumb question...but have you made sure that the Throttle cables aren't binding?

Throttle Body

Kind of a dumb question...but have you made sure that the Throttle cables aren't binding?​
yes I have checked the Throttle cables, they do not have any sharp kinks or bends.

I think you might be wise to clean the TB thoroughly and make sure it's adjusted properly before you go and replace it. Crud inside the TB might be causing the butterflys to hang up before they are in the closed position.

You might also want to disconnect the cables and work the throttle by hand and see if it's free and returns properly. If it does, you've isolated the problem to the cable or pedal linkage. The cable might look ok from the outside and still have corrosion or something gumming it up inside.

Apparently this Corvette was titled out in Canada and then titled out in USA, it just seems that the odometer should show more than 62,000 miles in the condition it is in. I have had the Dealership that has made repairs faxed me copies of repairs, which included such things as, replaced injectors, alternator, starter, rack and pinion, spark plug wires and all this was done with odometer readings at 51,000 miles. Presently the Vette runs good, have just driven approximately 2,000 miles in the last month, coming from Michigan to Florida.

Anyone prior to your ownership could have bought a replacement insturment cluster with different milege from a salvage yard or Ebay and installed it themselves at home. You would never know and there would be no documentation of it anywhere.

About the throttle body. Work the throttle lever by hand with the cruise control and accelerator pedal cables removed from the throttle linkage. If the return spring has sufficient tension and snaps the throttle closed when you release it, replacing it would be a waste of money. Either the cruise control cable, the accelerator pedal, or the accelerator cable is haning up on something. The return spring on the throttle body is all that brings the accelarator pedal back up when you let off. Have someone tug on the engine side of the gas pedal cable while it's disconnected and try to feel if it hangs up. Be sure nothing under the dash like the carpeting is interfering with the gas pedal movement.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom