Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1988 Major Coolant Leak In Rear Of Engine

bosshogg

Corvette
1988 Coupe
Recently purchased a 1988 coupe with 144,000 mi. Runs extremely well after tune-up, exhaust replacement, K&N filter, etc. After a "power" run we noticed coolant coming out of rear of engine somewhere. Oil filter and plate above filter has coolant on them. Jacked up driver's side and looked like it was then coming out of bell housing. Is there some kind of cooling lines or anything near the oil filter that might cause this. I have never seen such a thing, but you never know. Just hope I do not have to pull tranny to replace freeze plugs. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Recently purchased a 1988 coupe with 144,000 mi. Runs extremely well after tune-up, exhaust replacement, K&N filter, etc. After a "power" run we noticed coolant coming out of rear of engine somewhere. Oil filter and plate above filter has coolant on them. Jacked up driver's side and looked like it was then coming out of bell housing. Is there some kind of cooling lines or anything near the oil filter that might cause this. I have never seen such a thing, but you never know. Just hope I do not have to pull tranny to replace freeze plugs. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Yes there are 2 frost plugs in the rear of the engine under Flex Plate or Flywheel!! Tranny has to come out!!:ugh :ugh There are Frost plugs in the side of the Block too,that may be leaking,if it's one of them you won't have to R&R tranny but if the side starts leaking it usually won't be long till others are leaking,Not Always But usually in my exp. and Luck!! I have had the head gasket leak or the Intake at back on # 7 also!!:upthumbs

Thanks for your help...we are going to put some pressure to the cooling system while it is on a lift and hopefully we will find something then...still welcome any other help!

Intake manifold gasket? My 88 had a small coolant leak on the drivers side rear running down the bellhousing. It was the intake manifold gasket leaking. Take a good look for that.

Wouldn't an 88 Z-51 with an oil cooler have coolant pipes running over there? If so, are they threaded/flared lines or threaded with O-rings? Something else to consider:confused

After looking further, it looks like the head gasket on the driver's side. Because there is not much to do in Indiana in the winter time except watch IU basketball and Speed Channel, we are going to pull the heads and redo them while they are off. New valves, springs, rockers, etc. Will also have the heads checked for cracks, warped, etc.
Any suggestions on "bullet proof" head gaskets would be appreciated. Don't want to do this job again!!!
Thanks again for your replies.

After looking further, it looks like the head gasket on the driver's side. Because there is not much to do in Indiana in the winter time except watch IU basketball and Speed Channel, we are going to pull the heads and redo them while they are off. New valves, springs, rockers, etc. Will also have the heads checked for cracks, warped, etc.
Any suggestions on "bullet proof" head gaskets would be appreciated. Don't want to do this job again!!!
Thanks again for your replies.
Try re-torquing the head,Has worked for me on several occasions!!! :upthumbs

Can't hurt...we will give it a try
Thanks,
BOSSHOGG

coolant leak

My 88 has aux. oil cooler over the filter, I found that leaking along with the engine block heater, which takes the place of soft plug on filter side of engine.

Been out of town atIndy, Michigan,and Bristol...you know...other priorities. Racing will be over soon and we will get to look closer at the Vette. At first glance, the leak seemed to be around the oil filter area. After sticking a skinny guy under the car, he said it looked like the head gasket. We will have all winter to do it right...maybe redo the heads and valve train at that time. That might be a good time to visit Summit Racing also. Merry X-Mas to myself!!!
Thanks once again for everyone's help...This Forum is AWESOME

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom