Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1990-1996 Heater core replacement

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
Have any of you replaced a heater core in a 1990-96 model?

The 84-89 has a different procedure and frankly appears to be much more simple than the round dash models.

I have read through the G.M. manual, and it appears that the entire upper dash has to come out, the entire right knee bolster, fuse panel, side defrost ducts, wire harness, sensor tube, etc. etc. pressure tank and outer firewall covers. Then maybe, just maybe I can access the core.

Any tricks you may know to make this go faster and easier would be greatly appreciated.

Chris,
That doesn't sound like fun:( I removed the heater core from my '85 and you're right........it really wasn't that bad. Unfortunately I don't have any tips for ya

Jay

Sorry Chris

To make the removal possible..all these items have to come out..I haven't done it personally( solo ), but I have assisted on 2 removals.

Mike

Mike,

How long do you think this job takes for the average fellow? I am guessing working on it at night the rest of this week, etc. about 10-15 hours.

Does that sound about right?

Hey Chris what do you need a heater core for down in Florida?;) I was driving around with the windows open the other day up here.

If you have ALL the parts

r&r about 10 hours.. at a good clip, with air tools, maybe a helper. If you get lost ( the ol where did this go syndrom) maybe 13.

Mike

Well right now, two local autoparts stores have cores in stock. So, before I buy one, I will take it apart and make sure it is not a valve or something else, then pick up the parts the next day, and try to get this back by this weekend.

Here it is in a million pieces. I actually have it back together now. The first heater core came in damaged so that delayed me a little as well.

As is now, it is back together, but I have a small tube left over. It is of the same make and kind that goes into the side window and floor heat/defrost vents but I can't find a place for it.

69MyWay said:
Here it is in a million pieces.

:eek :eek Boy, you ain't a kiddin!

The phase: "A picture is worth a thousand words" couldn't be more accurate.

Good Luck,

Well I bet that was fun!?

How many hours was that?

Mike

We fired it back up last night after a variety of other items that had to be addressed. Nikki ran it through and it is all working fine. We still don't know where this other little tube came from. I got the manual and can't locate it there either.

I am not going to worry about it right now.

Total time was about 6 hours. That included reading the manual, gathering tools, etc. etc. etc. - oh, and watching Junkyard Wars while I was tearing it down the first night. (cable t.v. in the shop).

I will keep the "driveability issues" in the miniram thread so it all stays in the same place.

I think, hope, and pray, I can close the chapter on this part of my book.

Florida?

Hey, I lived in Florida for 3 years and never needed HEAT in my car!:confused

(must be wife's car, huh!)

It actually got down close to freezing last night. The funny part is that I spent extra time and effort on other areas of the motor to trigger the fans earlier, 180 Robertshaw hi perf thermostat, and all the proper bypass hoses.

Long story short, when it was 50 degrees outside, the car did not heat up enough from my buddies appartment to my house to even get much heat out of it.

This actually was my wife's car just a few months ago. Little by little, I am finally chiseling that feminine edge off. I am getting closer. Now I just need a few road kills to make it official.

69MyWay said:
Now I just need a few road kills to make it official.

*Armidilo's do not count*

I bet I know the tube you have left over I bet it's about 3" long and cut on an angle on one side and about 3/4" thick.........It for the side vents it goes on the small duct that goes over the heater box front that is held in with 2 7mm screws it snaps on the duct and sticks into the heater box to catch the air to send up to the side windows, not that important.

David Fulcher

David,

You described it to a T.

Thanks,

And you are right, so far, I have been running heat and air with no problems. I have saved it and will reinstall if and when I ever go back in there again.

David-F said:
I bet I know the tube you have left over I bet it's about 3" long and cut on an angle on one side and about 3/4" thick.........It for the side vents it goes on the small duct that goes over the heater box front that is held in with 2 7mm screws it snaps on the duct and sticks into the heater box to catch the air to send up to the side windows, not that important.

David Fulcher

David, I was thinking the same thing but you beat me to posting it :D

:beer

Looking at that picture makes me want to say the heck with it if mine goes bad.

And......... nothing like having a part left over. I have not had to work on my vette yet but other cars I have worked on have always had something left over. I figure, if it runs, then all I did was make the car weigh less.

I agree. This was not a fun job at all. I was in a bad mood the entire time I worked on it, and while not working on it, just thinking about it ticked me off. Having the part left over was icing on the cake.

Still no problems, so no worries there. Heater pumps nice hot air when I need it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom