Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1990 Front right caliper keeps locking up

fsp1950

Corvette
1990 Corvette Convertible
I have an issue with my 1990 corvette convertible. The front right caliper keeps locking up. I've replaced the caliper twice, I changed the hose. What else could it be? Any suggestions

Can you describe the problem in a little more detail?

When I jacked the car up with both front wheels off the ground, I could rotate the left front with no problem. The right front would not budge. When I was driving it I noticed a lot of break dust on that wheel. Also when I brake the car pulls to the left. I replaced the caliper and the bake hose to that wheel and the problem still persists.

Have you checked the wheel bearing ?

Yes. The wheel bearing is OK. When I force the caliper open with a screw driver the wheel spins OK. When I apply the brake again the caliper doesnt release. I've changed the caliper twice. What else could be causing the caliper to act like that. Could it be the master cylinder? I'm puzzled.

the caliper doesn't release. I've changed the caliper twice. What else could be causing the caliper to act like that. Could it be the master cylinder? I'm puzzled.
Sure sounds like fluid i snot moving either direction.
One wouldn't expect two calipers to be bad, but....

Is the brake fluid clear? If not, it might indicate corrosion or seal parts in it, either may not allow upstream parts to allow fluid to return. May we assume the calipers were reassembled and installed properly? When I do them, I wire-brush clean
everything that slides, then lightly coat those areas with disk brake grease; a higher melting point grease. Else, they may or may not work properly in time, short or long.

I am not certain if the two brake circuits are front/rear or other, as far as fluid feed.

I'd also look for a crushed brake line.:w

Last edited:
When you bleed the brakes, do you get a good strong flow of fluid thru the bleeder fitting? If it's not a crushed brake line, I'd suspect an ABS problem ($)!

:(

Last edited:
if you used anything oil based to clean it that will cause the seals to swell and not release properly aswell

if you used anything oil based to clean it that will cause the seals to swell and not release properly aswell

I found the problem. I had to change the ABS pump, located behind the drivers seat. After changing it everything works just fine. Thanks for all your tips.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom