Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1993 seat problems

fairlesstj

Corvette
1993 ruby coupe
Hello just bought my first vette. Its a 1993 ruby red with a salvage title.
I got it for $2300 and I am going to have to do a ton of work to it.
I have been working on easy stuff i can clean and troublrshoot myself. Well I have problem with power seats the fuse was out i found and replaced but i think has a short cause when i insert fuse it arcs. I cant quite figure out how to revomve the dang seats without power to move them back and forth.. Please help. I cant even figure out how to remove central seat control panel wires dont have enough slack to remove once un bolted...

To remove the seats first remove the seat cushion. If you look at the front of the cushion you will see a wire that is holding it in place just push or pry it down to release it and remove the cushion. This will allow you to disconnect the wires from the seat without removing the center consul. Next on the front of the seat rails there are two plastic covers with a plastic pin holding them on. Use a small screwdriver to pry them out and then remove the covers you will then be able to get to the front bolts. As for the rear bolts pull up on the handle on the back of the seat and fold the back forward to see the rear bolts. On the driver side you will have to remove the jack to get to the bolts. I have found it helpful to use a long 3/8 extension ( I think the nut is a 13MM)to remove the nuts on the bolts.

If you have to remove the center consul start by opening the lid to the center consul. At the very front of the compartment lift the material in each corner to expose the 7MM screws holding the cover. There is one more screw to remove it is under the rubber insert on the front cup holder. If you can't lift the cover far enough to get to the switches then pry up the button on the shift lever (This is if it is an automatic) and remove the snap ring holding the handle onto the shaft. Take an adjustable wrench and place it under the handle and gently tap on it until the handle pops free of the shaft. Carefully remove the cig lighter and other lights from panel. there should be enough slack in the rear hatch switch to lay everything out of the way of the seat switches. When lifting the cover off be careful not to twist it because the fingers that move the shift position indicator are plastic and have become brittle with age.

I am not real good on the electrical part but I would think if you have what you describe happening then you have a bare wire shorting out somewhere. In time others with more knowledge on that will be adding there input to you post.

Welcome to :CAC

HI, On my 88, the action of the seat forward/backwards abrades a power wire and causes a short. On my 88 there was circuit breaker not a fuse and it was very hot to the touch, there was a bulletin on this site that lead me to the problem. Also my power door locks were on that circuit that's hot all the time. Check it out, it's an easy fix, I just isolated the wire with tubing and haven't had a problem since. I'm not sure if your 93 is the same as an 88. :upthumbs

thanks guys sorry I havent been back sooner was out of town on a trip. I will follow instructions given thanks again and I will let you know how it turns out

well I got the seats out underneath was 12.00 change 1/2 bag of easter candy multiple happymeals and a lot of crud and goo. It makes me wonder how anyone could treat a 93 ruby like a park trash can..... Any way I got the seats out and put back in the circuit breaker and it still heated up with everything unplugged. no sign of damage to any of the wires. So I am putting the seat repair off for a while since my haynes manual does not show wiring to seats. The good news is The car is 20 lbs lighter and smells better.

well I got the seats out underneath was 12.00 change 1/2 bag of easter candy multiple happymeals and a lot of crud and goo. It makes me wonder how anyone could treat a 93 ruby like a park trash can..... Any way I got the seats out and put back in the circuit breaker and it still heated up with everything unplugged. no sign of damage to any of the wires. So I am putting the seat repair off for a while since my haynes manual does not show wiring to seats. The good news is The car is 20 lbs lighter and smells better.

Amazing is'nt it?

I pull my seats, frame and all every year now. At the current rate of return, my IRA will be fully funded by 2012;LOL

Seriously, if you like the under seat area, wait until you pull the console cover and see whats growing under there !

With all the spilled coffee, dust and things I did'nt want to know about, you can easily have a switch or plug shorted in that area.

Beware the console goo.....They used it to make a cheesy horror movie in the 50's...They store the stuff in Vette consoles waiting for the remake.

I just helped a buddy on his 92 and we found that there is a diode in the harness under the console above the drivers hip the drivers side that had shorted out and was causing the circuit breaker to heat up.We removed the shorted part and did not bother to replace it as we could not find one locally. We called Radio shack and the guy said "Diode... Whats a diode?'
It is a 3 or 4 amp diode if I recall. Its there to prevent in rush back from the motor into the circuit.

thanks croozin

Thanks for the tip I will have to get in there and check that out.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom