Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2003 Dodge Viper

I think that GM really beat up Dodge and Ford real good back in the 80's and early 90's, but GM has just stalled now. Ford and Dodge have made vast improvements on their vehicles and they've caught up and in some ways passed up GM. Look at the Cavalier, it's such a terrible car as compared to the Focus or Neon.

Didn't anyone realize that the 01' Z06 was rushed out in response to Fords Mustang Cobra R? Now the 01' owners feel cheated because the 02' will have more power, HUD, etc... At least the Corvette is making improvements each year.

As for the Viper, there is more to a car than raw HP. And has anyone noticed that the Viper HP rating is based on engine HP and not RWHP? If you realize that, then 500 engine HP isn't really that impressive considering that you'll lose power going to the rear wheels.

Did anyone notice that the Z06 was the only American car in Road & Track's "Extreme Sports Car Shootout?" Whatever happened to the Cobra R or Viper? Their mommies wouldn't let them come out and play with the big boys on the big stage?

BullWinkle said:

As for the Viper, there is more to a car than raw HP. And has anyone noticed that the Viper HP rating is based on engine HP and not RWHP? If you realize that, then 500 engine HP isn't really that impressive considering that you'll lose power going to the rear wheels.
Ummm....correct me if I'm wrong here, but I do believe that most cars are rated these days by engine horsepower and not RWHP. That includes the Corvette. The new LS6 engine is rated at 405 hp. That's engine horsepower. Not RWHP.

Rob said:

Ummm....correct me if I'm wrong here, but I do believe that most cars are rated these days by engine horsepower and not RWHP. That includes the Corvette. The new LS6 engine is rated at 405 hp. That's engine horsepower. Not RWHP.

Rob, they use the SAE rating for the horsepower/torque figures nowadays, whereas in the past they used gross figures that did not include the parasitic draws of the drivetrain, etc..

That's why there was such a clamor when they first started doing this in the early seventies, the horsepower figures seemed to be cut in half!

Ken

Ken,

I understand that. But I believe the difference between SAE and Gross is that Gross measures only engine horsepower with *no* accessories attached, such as AC compressor, etc. SAE Net horsepower, measures the actual engine horsepower with all accessories attached which is much more accurate or closer to "real world output".

Above, we're talking about the differences between measuring engine horsepower and rear wheel horsepower which indicates how much horsepower is being put to the ground after parasitic drivetrain loss.

They already have a few 2003 Vettes made. There was one at my aunt's GM factory in NY a few months ago. It was either a 2003 or a C6, I'm pretty sure it was a 2003. She couldn't take me in to see it though.

C6

C6 is coming!!!! My guess.....Potential engines.....LS6 5.7 - 385hp,
the 6 liter (from the Silverado ) a 6.4 liter 2 cams, and hopefully the 7 liter 427 2 cams ( All Aluminum small block, from the C5R race car ). A 6 speed, with possible re-positioning, just a bit, and a 5 speed Automatic. Ideas are from what Ive been able to find, in many magazines. October issue of "HotRod", is where I found the bit on the 6.4 and 2 cams. Id also bet that the C6 will have a
42 volt electrical system. 42 volt is the way of the future, and it will allow for a beltless engine bay, and electrical braking, and steering. I don't think the C6 will get the scaleable engine displacement. It is a system in which the computer cuts back on firing a couple of cylinders, when cruising on the highway to conserve fuel, but I have read this will be on some Silverado's in like 2003 0r 2004. Like I said, Ive read some, and the rest is what "I think" the C6 will have!!!!! The Viper looks nice and Im
sure it goes like hell.... but is it balanced????, can it be driven in the rain??????? I bet a skilled driver and a Z06 can give it fits!!! C6 will be coming and it'll have the anti-Venom!!!!!!!!!!!! Scott

If GM builds the C6 correctly with the power increases that it should have, no one will talk about the Dodge Viper. Who care anyway, it is a Dodge. Talk about quality concerns and problems, Dodge is right up there. No matter what car that corporation builds, I would not buy it. They were bought out and they still can't get it right. Some think GM has its faults, but it is nothing compared to Dodge.

Has anyone heard anything new on the 50th Anniversary Corvette?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom